...life can be translucent

Menu

How the I Ching Community works

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score

Vision

The I Ching Community is a warm and open place for free, wide-ranging exploration of the I Ching. It’s a place to learn about and from this oracle, through experience, one reading at a time. We respect the desire to learn, and honour the potential for growth in not knowing.

I asked Yi what the highest potential of this community is. It replied with Hexagram 4, Not Knowing, changing at the fifth line to Hexagram 59, Dispersing.

Welcome to the Community of Not Knowing!

The rule

As befits such a place, there are not many rules.

A huge diversity of ideas is welcomed and encouraged here, and so is vigorous debate about them all. In all this, please respect other members as individuals, and don’t post personal abuse, flaming, belittling, ‘diagnoses’ of their character flaws, etc.

Another rule

One username per person.

You can change your username, that's not a problem, but no-one is allowed to deceive other members by posting simultaneously from two different accounts.

And one more rule

If something about the way you do readings is unfamiliar to most members (eg the method, the text), please edit your signature to include a link to an explanation. (You can always write this yourself in Exploring Divination.)

A suggestion

When you post a reading here in Shared Readings, please include your own response to it, too. Then you're really sharing your reading - which is your conversation with Yi (the I Ching) - and not just the numbers.

No need to write a book (though you can if you like, of course ;) ): just jot a few things down. For instance... does anything in the answer sound familiar? Feel right - or wrong? If a friend had given you this answer, what would you say to them?

Also, you don't need to be some kind of expert for this. I think it's even an advantage, sometimes, not to be: you don't have a freight of existing ideas to carry round, so you're free to see your reading with clear eyes. Then other members can benefit from your unique perspective, and you benefit from centring yourself in your own sense of the reading - engaging with it as yours, not just some lines on a page - before you open it up to others' thoughts.

A note about deleting posts

(because sometimes people ask me to delete their posts after the three day ‘editing’ period on them has expired)

You own the copyright in what you post here, and you grant Clarity a license to publish it here on the website. This means I have the final say on whether or not messages are deleted, edited or moved once they’re posted here.

Normally I (and other moderators) do not delete or edit posts, because a) everyone benefits from the archives here and b) it's not fair to other members if what they replied to vanishes or changes. In rare cases, we'll make an exception. But before you post anything on the public forums, please consider that they are public. If you don't want your post to show up in Google search results, support Clarity and join Change Circle! (Then you can use the private 'Reading Circle' forum.)

How you can help

Use the ‘Like’ button! (It's on the right-hand side under each post. Mouse over/ tap on it for more options.)

If you post a reading for comment, please come back and post feedback on how things worked out.

And if there's a problem, please use the post reporting system to get help from the moderators.

When to report a post

• If it's spam
  • If it's in the wrong forum (moderators will move it for you)
  • If it seems to you to break the rule against personal abuse, 'diagnosis' etc.
You can report a post by clicking the little 'bell' icon just below it and to the left:

And please remember that discussing other members’ behaviour is off-topic for the main forums, so don't post a retort.

You can also report abusive/ offensive/ spammy private messages.

How post reporting works (what to expect)

The report is emailed to me and to our moderators along with your message. Only the moderators can see that a post has been reported, and they will keep the identity of the 'reporter' confidential.

A moderator visits the thread, reads it through and considers what to do next. They might...
  • in the case of spam, delete all the spammer's posts and ban them permanently (of course)
  • decide the post's acceptable and take no action (in which case they'll contact you to explain)
  • contact the original poster and ask them to delete or edit their post
  • delete/ edit the post themselves and contact the original poster with an explanation and warning
After someone makes a second post that breaks the rule, the moderator may suspend them for a brief 'cooling off' period of from 48 hours to a week, at the moderator's discretion.

Anyone who persists in making abusive/ offensive posts will be referred on to me for longer suspension or a permanent ban.

If you disagree with a moderator's decision you can ask them about it politely, or you can email me to protest. But sending personal abuse to moderators for doing their job is not tolerated, and incurs a one-week suspension right away.

Using the Moderation forum

If you see a pattern of behaviour that's causing problems and isn't being dealt with satisfactorily, please use the 'Moderation' forum. This forum exists purely as a place to resolve current problems in the main forums. Its only purpose is to ensure that the main forums are a safe space for discussing the I Ching. Hence any post made here should contain links to and quotations from specific, recent problem posts.

If you see a post in Moderation that doesn't serve this purpose, please report it. If mods agree with you, it'll be deleted outright. (And as with rule-breaking posts in the main forums, the poster will be warned first, and suspended from the forum if they do the same again.)

Last edited:

rainbowgirl

visitor
Reaction score
Moderation - guidance

Hi Hilary
I would just like to send you my appreciation for the new guidance you have published. I think that these are wonderful ideas.
well done and thanks very much.
Big love,
Bonnie
:bows:

emc2cme

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Hilary

I love the 4 hexagram, changing to Dispersing. It just goes to show how in tune you are with the Yi. Thanks once again for providing this wonderful playing field. May you be blessed many many times over for your care, generosity and gentle good humor.

Nancy

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi C, is this your site you've linked to?
A friend of mine once sent me the link to a Bogie clip you'd have enjoyed . . too bad youtube put it down due to 'terms of use violation' . .

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
The Highest Potential for This Community

4.5 > 59

Youthful Folly has success.
It is not I who seeks the young fool;
The young fool seeks me.
At first oracle I inform him.
If he asks two or three times, it is importunity.
If he importunes, I give him no information.
Perseverance furthers.

Thus the superior man fosters his character
By thoroughness in all that he does.

Childlike folly brings good fortune.

Dispersion. Success.
The king approaches his temple.
It furthers one to cross the great water.
Perseverance furthers.

Thus the kings of old sacrificed to the Lord
And built temples.

His loud cries are as dissolving as sweat.
Dissolution! A king abides without blame.
-Wilhelm

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I love this reading Hilary got on The Highest Potential for this site!
Wow, to go from childlike folly to the king approaching his temple...

I wrote out the Wilhelm translation of these lines and included the fan yao, 59.5, because this line seems to contain some advice worth considering as we are having such lively discussions now over on Moderation:

In times of general dispersion and separation, a great idea provides a focal point for the ORGANIZATION OF RECOVERY. Just as an illness reaches its crisis in a dissolving sweat, so a great and stimulating idea is a true salvation IN TIMES OF GENERAL DEADLOCK. It gives the people a rallying point - a man {versed in the I Ching?} in a ruling position who can dispel misunderstandings.

I think the I Ching is saying that we can turn to the I Ching to help resolve these situations.

btw, I like the word "resolve". It can be read "re-solve" , like take the problem and the solution apart and solve it differently..
-rosada

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined this online community and want to express my gratitude to the founder and the members for it. I have been learning things for free as a non-member reading posts, and now I want to begin to "give back" by participating in the public dialogue, for whatever that might be worth. What I think is best about this is that it is totally open to everyone with a Web connection, and for free.

From the fool seeking advice from the sage to 59: dispersion... building temples. Indeed...
After reading the description for 59 at http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/hex_49-64/59-60.htm, I'd say...
* the forums are like cyberspace "temples" where one may go for contemplation
* beginners can come here and grow to become sages in their own right
* dispersion/flood as the wisdom of the I Ching/Yi Jing spreading like a flood throughout the world without boundaries
* dispersion/flood overflowing of boundaries/obstacles: like the Yi itself which transcends the limiting obstacles of our regular perception to give us access to the unbounded undefinable sublime wisdom of the Tao/Dao

I don't know about others, but I'm totally...
Gettin' Jingy With It! ;-D

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you, Jingy. (Can we call you Jingy? ;) ) I like your take on 59.

greekgoddess

visitor
Reaction score
hey jingy,

I LOVE that site and always understand a deeper meaning to my query. Give back brother! Bring it!

:::III,

M

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
(If you're looking for the post Anemos made here, I've moved it over here to its own thread.)

gayelyn

visitor
Reaction score
Hi just joined and I am amazed at the clear information that is so well set out .Thank you I am sure it is going to be a very worthwhile connection.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi just joined and I am amazed at the clear information that is so well set out .Thank you I am sure it is going to be a very worthwhile connection.

Greetings

Your 'so well thought out' reminds me of a conversation with a meticulous client whom I had a great deal of admiration of, and I told him how impressed I've been during our first year working together; his business model is so tight and well organized, etc. He said, "often what seems tight and well organized is actually a loosely knit group of individuals with a common goal."

panther

visitor
Reaction score
Response to I Ching Community hex 4 changing to 59

I am happy to join this community as I have consulted for decades the Wilhelm text and Carol Anthony's guide. This is a new journey of humility and tolerance. In humility seeking the counsel of the Sage while in tolerance understanding we are in different places on our journey brings me to a new place of growth. :)

globalex

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks Hilary

Thanks for your email.

I hope I can improve my skills on I Ching by reading the vast discussion you have in the website, and also by sharing with the other members.

Cheers.

love_boat

visitor
Reaction score
Hi i am new here, love to be here and want to thank for the introduction!

rcm999

visitor
Reaction score
hello,
thanks very much.
I can get better information about Iching now and so again thank you.
Sincerely
Ramchandra dt.11th jun 2014

cecily80

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary,
You asked me for suggestions for the site. Part of my suggestion has already been put in place here. See what I mean about the volume of information here? I just now found it! :duh: The shocking part of it all is that the reading for Clarity's potential is exactly the same as the first reading that I did upon joining the change circle. My first post, a few days ago was "What do I want?" Hex 4.5>59. Hummmmm

Last edited:

Samiulla

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

as i can't take this suffering any longer. I fear to talk with any one and also I'm doomed. Hesitate to mingle with anyone, Doomed to be alone or not with the man I want. fear to give any suggestions to myself and to others, not able to concentrate more, Doomed to be unsuccessful, unloved, unappreciated, not respected, not taken seriously...Doomed to lead a life of a failure..

Regards,
Fouzia

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

as i can't take this suffering any longer. I fear to talk with any one and also I'm doomed. Hesitate to mingle with anyone, Doomed to be alone or not with the man I want. fear to give any suggestions to myself and to others, not able to concentrate more, Doomed to be unsuccessful, unloved, unappreciated, not respected, not taken seriously...Doomed to lead a life of a failure..

Regards,
Fouzia

No you aren't 'doomed' at all. If you fear to talk with anyone you can here as no one knows who you are. If you have an I Ching cast to share you post in the section of 'Shared Readings'. if you just want to share how you feel then you can post in Open Space. Just reply here if you would like more help.

carbon

visitor
Reaction score
Just joined - how exciting! :) Feel a bit shy, but my gratitude to you, Hilary and other wonderful and compassionate people here made me write this reply. I would like to say thank you to all of you, who helped me so many times through years now, without even knowing it. Well, you did help me a lot to understand, to soothe me and to 'slap' me out of some delusions too, while answering other people's questions. My consultations with I Ching are usually about... you guessed it... relationships. :D That is because relationships are one thing in my life that I cannot always figure out on my own and find confusing. I welcome the truth and clarity to come from you all. Thank you.
BTW... where is the 'thank you' button? Can't find it anywhere..haha, see, I already need help!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Carbon, yes, it is exciting. :)

The thanks button appears after you've posted 10 times. (I think it's 10 - close to that, anyway.)

Princeji

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you, wish me luck figuring out how to interact coherently and correctly. Just a slight learning disability. Felicity and grace brothers and sisters

the sage

visitor
Reaction score
Beautiful site...H: which forum would be best?

Pleased to learn of you, H. I was introduced to Wilhelm in 1974 by a "prince in scarlet knee-bands in search of able helpers"..a new girl-friend (psychic) wearing long, red stockings which between her tall boots and skirt, showed as red knees!..who sat across from me, having given me the book. Since I was shocked by the line, I wore that book out and am heavily into a newer copy.....Here in the US, we have a dangerous tyrant taking control..and the readings are precious and spot on..my dice have thrown King Wen in Taming Small, which I knew would come up ( I think in Ching terms always). I have twenty+ readings of the political morass here..far worse than Brexit. I am searching for the meaning of the "eighth month" line..to decipher the events which may spell disaster in Sept-Oct...eighth month dark power then again ascends.... It also occurs shortly after the total solar eclipse only over America in late August 21....darkly dangerous times.... Otherwise, I am delighted to join and would like your advice on an advanced users forum for general discussion in The Way. Thank you. peace. resist. (to avoid searches) my fullname.com is my site. Dangerous times to be an artist.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).