...life can be translucent

Menu

How the I Ching Community works

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score

Vision

The I Ching Community is a warm and open place for free, wide-ranging exploration of the I Ching. It’s a place to learn about and from this oracle, through experience, one reading at a time. We respect the desire to learn, and honour the potential for growth in not knowing.

I asked Yi what the highest potential of this community is. It replied with Hexagram 4, Not Knowing, changing at the fifth line to Hexagram 59, Dispersing.

Welcome to the Community of Not Knowing!

The rule

As befits such a place, there are not many rules.

A huge diversity of ideas is welcomed and encouraged here, and so is vigorous debate about them all. In all this, please respect other members as individuals, and don’t post personal abuse, flaming, belittling, ‘diagnoses’ of their character flaws, etc.

Another rule

One username per person.

You can change your username, that's not a problem, but no-one is allowed to deceive other members by posting simultaneously from two different accounts.

And one more rule

If something about the way you do readings is unfamiliar to most members (eg the method, the text), please edit your signature to include a link to an explanation. (You can always write this yourself in Exploring Divination.)

A suggestion

When you post a reading here in Shared Readings, please include your own response to it, too. Then you're really sharing your reading - which is your conversation with Yi (the I Ching) - and not just the numbers.

No need to write a book (though you can if you like, of course ;) ): just jot a few things down. For instance... does anything in the answer sound familiar? Feel right - or wrong? If a friend had given you this answer, what would you say to them?

Also, you don't need to be some kind of expert for this. I think it's even an advantage, sometimes, not to be: you don't have a freight of existing ideas to carry round, so you're free to see your reading with clear eyes. Then other members can benefit from your unique perspective, and you benefit from centring yourself in your own sense of the reading - engaging with it as yours, not just some lines on a page - before you open it up to others' thoughts.

A note about deleting posts

(because sometimes people ask me to delete their posts after the three day ‘editing’ period on them has expired)

You own the copyright in what you post here, and you grant Clarity a license to publish it here on the website. This means I have the final say on whether or not messages are deleted, edited or moved once they’re posted here.

Normally I (and other moderators) do not delete or edit posts, because a) everyone benefits from the archives here and b) it's not fair to other members if what they replied to vanishes or changes. In rare cases, we'll make an exception. But before you post anything on the public forums, please consider that they are public. If you don't want your post to show up in Google search results, support Clarity and join Change Circle! (Then you can use the private 'Reading Circle' forum.)

How you can help

Use the ‘Like’ button! (It's on the right-hand side under each post. Mouse over/ tap on it for more options.)

If you post a reading for comment, please come back and post feedback on how things worked out.

And if there's a problem, please use the post reporting system to get help from the moderators.

When to report a post

• If it's spam
  • If it's in the wrong forum (moderators will move it for you)
  • If it seems to you to break the rule against personal abuse, 'diagnosis' etc.
You can report a post by clicking the little 'bell' icon just below it and to the left:

And please remember that discussing other members’ behaviour is off-topic for the main forums, so don't post a retort.

You can also report abusive/ offensive/ spammy private messages.

How post reporting works (what to expect)

The report is emailed to me and to our moderators along with your message. Only the moderators can see that a post has been reported, and they will keep the identity of the 'reporter' confidential.

A moderator visits the thread, reads it through and considers what to do next. They might...
  • in the case of spam, delete all the spammer's posts and ban them permanently (of course)
  • decide the post's acceptable and take no action (in which case they'll contact you to explain)
  • contact the original poster and ask them to delete or edit their post
  • delete/ edit the post themselves and contact the original poster with an explanation and warning
After someone makes a second post that breaks the rule, the moderator may suspend them for a brief 'cooling off' period of from 48 hours to a week, at the moderator's discretion.

Anyone who persists in making abusive/ offensive posts will be referred on to me for longer suspension or a permanent ban.

If you disagree with a moderator's decision you can ask them about it politely, or you can email me to protest. But sending personal abuse to moderators for doing their job is not tolerated, and incurs a one-week suspension right away.

Using the Moderation forum

If you see a pattern of behaviour that's causing problems and isn't being dealt with satisfactorily, please use the 'Moderation' forum. This forum exists purely as a place to resolve current problems in the main forums. Its only purpose is to ensure that the main forums are a safe space for discussing the I Ching. Hence any post made here should contain links to and quotations from specific, recent problem posts.

If you see a post in Moderation that doesn't serve this purpose, please report it. If mods agree with you, it'll be deleted outright. (And as with rule-breaking posts in the main forums, the poster will be warned first, and suspended from the forum if they do the same again.)

Attachments

• reportpost.png
    reportpost.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hello everyone!

good to have everything back and running :)
only I can't see the 'thanks' button, neither on Firefox nor in Safari browsers . . is it just me?

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
hello everyone!

good to have everything back and running :)
only I can't see the 'thanks' button, neither on Firefox nor in Safari browsers . . is it just me?

Haven't tried it in my Mac, but works in Firefox under Windows...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I often wonder what happened to Dora ? I see she has written 'no longer participates' under her name.

I don't know if there was a particular reason why she left.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I often wonder what happened to Dora ? I see she has written 'no longer participates' under her name.

I don't know if there was a particular reason why she left.

I suppose she doesn't participate in the notion that if you can't defeat them you may as well join them in community...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose she doesn't participate in the notion that if you can't defeat them you may as well join them in community...

I don't understand...who is the 'them' ? She left long before the whole moderator malarkey came on the scene so it couldn't have been that. If it was another 'them' well .... Whichever way I had the impression it was a decision rather than a drifting away since she was participating quite alot then stopped and writing in 'no longer participates' seems quite decisive.

Then again she may have just gone away i guess. Anyway I miss her contribution and if you are right that she doesn't participate in the 'if you can't beat em join em' philosophy i admire her for that !

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand...who is the 'them' ?

Well, for most, that's a moving target. My "them" may not necessarily be yours, nor Dora's and vice-versa.

Then again she may have just gone away i guess. Anyway I miss her contribution and if you are right that she doesn't participate in the 'if you can't beat em join em' philosophy i admire her for that !

I have no clue about Dora's motives or reasons, at all. Just wondering out loud... She wouldn't be the first one to take that road though, nor the last.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hey guys!

No 'them' really, just me and a need to make a clean break with many things that made up my life as it was and focus on my essentials . . I still drop by sometimes, take a look around and think I'd like to come back at some point to post feedback and new insights on some readings of mine from back then but for now 'no participating' pretty much does it :) . .

(thanks for asking Trojan and belated happy birthday Luis -take care everyone!!)

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi gurthbruins -since hexagram 4 did come up as the forums' highest potential, most of us are happy to embrace 'not knowing' in one way or another :D
Welcome on the boards!

sailor

visitor
Reaction score
Can find the "thanks" button

I posted in the thread tittled "who is the sage anyway?" and wanted to thank others for their posts but there is no button with the thumbs up that says "thanks". All I see is a button that says "post reply".

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I posted in the thread tittled "who is the sage anyway?" and wanted to thank others for their posts but there is no button with the thumbs up that says "thanks". All I see is a button that says "post reply".

When you post about eleven times, the system will give you a Thank's Button.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You also have to be signed in before the Thanks button appears.

windblownman

visitor
Reaction score
I would just like to communicate the depth of gratitude I feel to the I ching community and the many blessings in this life (even though , lord knows there has been suffering) blessings to all
best wishes

Brendon

visitor
Reaction score
I ching

i ching in fact is a place where you would have an opportunity to learn about oracles and experience of the same.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).