...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive and Negative Hexagrams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Positive and Negative Hexagrams

The title of this tread is a trap.
    I hear this phrase so many times on so many different threads that to set the question right each time would be like playing whack-a-mole. It seems to come up at least once a week.
    It's my thesis that as long as someone is locked into thinking of any Gua as inherently positive or negative they will NEVER understand the Yijing. The Yi itself tries to explain this in a number of places - Gua 12 is an opportunity to be rid of inferior influences, Gua 41 is a chance to learn the skills of economy and thrift that will make you truly rich when the times turn around, Gua 39 is a chance to look sideways from linear thinking and goal-seeking behavior, Gua 05 learns to live in the moment and maximize the meantime. And so on.
    Crowley put it this way: Imagine listening to a Beethoven concerto with the presupostition that C is a bad note and F is a good one. You would clearly miss the music.
    Good hexagrams vs bad hexagrams is just shallow thinking that completely misses the multidimensional richness of understanding that the Yi has to offer. And somebody's going to read this and still ask the same stupid question next week. "Is Hexagram 15 always bad?"
    One way to get out of the habit is to start asking the question "What is the upside of this?" when you think you have a "bad" reading, and just as importantly, "What is the downside of this?" when you think you have a good one.
    The same goes for the lines. It helps a lot to think of every line as representing a choice of attitudes, not a literal prediction, but a recommended posture that is often implied by the depiction of an inferior posture. So if the character in the line is in trouble and getting his nose cut off, remember that your question is about where you are going and don't go there.
    Last edited by bradford; September 22nd, 2009 at 01:41 AM.

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to bradford For This Useful Post:

beithe (April 20th, 2010), cornucopia (June 4th, 2013), dharmamom (February 13th, 2014), DT_Iching (November 17th, 2014), eastern_girl (February 4th, 2014), Freedda (July 7th, 2017), hattah (September 28th, 2009), heylise (September 22nd, 2009), hilary (September 27th, 2009), hollis (September 23rd, 2009), itsyourlife (March 31st, 2012), jilt (January 26th, 2012), lasublime (March 12th, 2018), mary f (October 24th, 2017), mulberry (June 3rd, 2013), my_key (September 22nd, 2009), NemeanMagik (March 22nd, 2014), olga (August 12th, 2015), oponopono (February 17th, 2011), peacecat (October 11th, 2016), Peter Belt (April 30th, 2018), pink_mandolin (November 16th, 2009), rosada (December 22nd, 2009), sarararahh (December 15th, 2014), star_crazy (October 23rd, 2010), susieq777 (September 29th, 2014), tigerintheboat (October 31st, 2009), TwoGeese (November 6th, 2012)

meng Guest

This should probably be a sticky.

I personally have found more to gain from those hex and lines that initially sound difficult or bad. 12, 23, 28, 36, 44 and 47 particularly come to mind.

maremaria Guest

Some time ago I asked about a situation what should I expect and got 14.6, one of the most auspicious lines, one could say. But things didn’t go like the line said regarding that matter. If I take that line as a prediction of the outcome , then Yi was way off !!! But then I had to ask a question to myself. “Assuming that Yi never fails to give a right answer, then what 14.6 was about ?” and then I see it. Aha!!!

I’m not saying that I don’t fall in the trap of positive /negative and sometimes I forget to ask the questions you say (I use such questions too), but I think it’s a matter of practice and experience. For me, for example, 23 is not just a “bad” hexagram, I have learn a lot from 23. And 12 in a question about a relationship was not necessary meant seperate.

Sometimes I think that I throw myself in a trap if I stick to the question I ask to Yi. I feel that sometimes it’s not the Yi that “ignores” our question and answers to something else. It’s that we need an answer and have no idea what we want to ask and asking our self what was behind a question help us to unveil the crux or the matter and Yi’s answer. That thought makes a bit easier to go beyond the positive/negative mode of thinking and dig a bit deeper.

One vote for the sticky .

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Third vote for the sticky!
    'Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.'
    < Cesar A. Cruz >

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll bring the glue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question: What's brown and sticky
    Answer: ?????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Give up? ...........A stick

9. The Following User Says Thank You to my_key For This Useful Post:

Pearlescent (March 15th, 2016)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Stuck!

You know, when I saw Brad's name as first poster on this thread, it did occur to me it might be a trap...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    Stuck!

You know, when I saw Brad's name as first poster on this thread, it did occur to me it might be a trap...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

And what is a sticky?

And good one, my_key

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

A good thing. And a thread that stays at the top of the forum home page instead of disappearing down it as newer threads are posted.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast