...life can be translucent

Menu

Yijing mechanics

44bob123

visitor
Reaction score
I've just come across references to the work of Milton Erickson. Unlike other therapists he worked to no particular theories but used inductive discourse to turn client's minds away from conventional wisdom.
By the use of paradox with phrases that are shocking, surprising, mystifying, non sequiturs, too difficult or incomprehensible, the conscious mind is depotentiated and the unconscious begins an active search for resolutions.
The approach has been summarized as :
Confusion
Unstructuring
Restructuring
Receptivity​

Therapists attemp to have their clients discover their own solutions. By using such strategies as deliberately vague language with multiple meanings, implied suggestions, and metaphorical references, clients can, through an internal search, select their own "best" responses and solutions.

Does this sound familiar ?:bows:

lloyd

(deceased)
Reaction score
Yep, sounds familiar. It is how 'spiritual' management consultants make big bucks.
The central idea is ego-bashing, but to lose the ego is to find oneself adrift in the cosmos. Although union with the cosmos may be considered ‘being in Tao’, to be set adrift in it is to be un-moored and not centered.

solun

visitor
Reaction score
Sounds to me just like another day in the life! :)
But interesting. I support the idea of independence, but you have to be certain the individual is strong enough, and I am supposing and hoping the practitioner understands his abilities. It's not unlike many spiritual practices, which involve a clearing of sorts, initially. It's deconstruction, basically.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've just come across references to the work of Milton Erickson. Unlike other therapists he worked to no particular theories but used inductive discourse to turn client's minds away from conventional wisdom.
By the use of paradox with phrases that are shocking, surprising, mystifying, non sequiturs, too difficult or incomprehensible, the conscious mind is depotentiated and the unconscious begins an active search for resolutions.
The approach has been summarized as :
Confusion
Unstructuring
Restructuring
Receptivity​

Therapists attemp to have their clients discover their own solutions. By using such strategies as deliberately vague language with multiple meanings, implied suggestions, and metaphorical references, clients can, through an internal search, select their own "best" responses and solutions.

Does this sound familiar ?:bows:

Sounds familiar yes as I've heard this as a theory of how the Yi 'appears' to work, heard it a long time ago anyway. I say 'appears' because really it is the view of someone who doesn't think the Yi is anything more than a bunch of peculiar statements...the idea being like you described these peculiar statements kind of loosen off the thinking, unstructure our usual way of thinking about an issue, allow more of a creative approach hence we find we have 'new' solutions.

I think it certainly has an element of truth to it as a theory...but really the Yi is way more than that..well of course it is when it has predictive potential. if it were merely a way to unstructure usual patterns of thought and restructure and stir the unconscious into providing new solutions so to speak i don't think it would have this potential...Though i can't prove that seeming predictions are more than just seeming and not the unconscious making stories..my experience tells me otherwise.

Last edited:

elvis

(deceased)
Reaction score
Early Neuro Linguistic Programming focused on the patterns of Milton's work and in so doing derived two models of information processing, its gathering and its general dissemination - called the Meta Model and the Erickson Model respectively.

That work has been developed into advanced hypnosis courses geared to get people into 'lite' trance states for ease in communication (psychotherapy use it as do politicians and advertising companies)

See the original NLP work in:

# Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H.Erickson: Volume 1 ISBN 1-55552-052-9, John Grinder & Richard Bandler
# Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H.Erickson: Volume 2 ISBN 1-55552-053-7, John Grinder, Richard Bandler & Judith DeLozier

then see other texts listed in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_H._Erickson

... and current formats see such as:

http://www.nlpmp3.com/

The Erickson model covers the use of generalities that allow the hearer to fill in the dots with their own, subjective, preferences (e.g. use the term 'sense' where the individual can then slot in 'see' or 'feel' or 'hear' according to their personal biases in favouring some sense over the others)

It also relates to 'quantum learning' where seemingly unrelated bits of information will, over time, form a pattern of meaning that ties them all together and gives the 'a-HA' experience.

The identification of patterns in the work are useful - see the Bandler/Grinder texts.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).