...life can be translucent

Menu

#37 The Clan, Nine at the beginning

frenchienyc

visitor
Reaction score
We're a recently married couple (one year), lived together for two. My wife is pregnant and due in 3 months. We've been agonizing about a decision to move or not to move by purchasing a bigger apartment. It could put some stress to our finances, our careers and our way of life. We could stay where we are, a smaller apartment that gives us no financial worries, but is far from perfect in many ways, and a bit small with a new toddler. We could just stay where we are and postpone the decision to move for a year or two, without the pressure of the incoming birth, and a better knowledge of our mental and financial situation then. So we did the I Ching, asking the question if we should move, and the answer was #37, with nine at the beginning. It was interesting to read the hexagram traditional interpretation relating to the role of each partner in a family, as the decision to move, would put extra pressure on my wife, who has a career, than me, the man who would be a stay at home Dad. Can you help us understand what the I Ching is telling us? Thank you

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It is often hard to read results when the question was a yes-or-no question (ie 'should we move?'). That said, it's an interesting answer. I generally take 37.1 to mean "make a home for yourself; establish a safe space." Karcher elaborates "Stay inside your dwelling. Don't venture out now. Your sorrows disappear. You are not ready to act yet." I don't know if his reading resonates for you, but to me that sounds like your third option--postpone till you have a better sense of the situation and are past the pressure of the birth. Also, the relating hexagram, 53, is about geese moving very gradually to a new home.

But I may be prejudiced in my reading because when I read your post, choice #3 (postponing) sounded both the sanest way to go and like the one you were leaning toward!

frenchienyc

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you Knot, you are indeed very wise. I do believe the third option is the sanest one. How do you arrive to the relating Hexagram? Thanks

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The I Ching is the Book of Changes, so when one or more lines are changing (from broken to unbroken, or vice-versa), then your situation is in flux, and the hexagram is changing into another hexagram--in this case Hex 53, Gradual Progress. It is sometimes hard to know whether this relating hexagram is the context for your question, or the direction your question is evolving, or what. In this case I am thinking the overall reading is something like 'stay where you are for now, where you are safe, and move gradually to a new home.' But I am rather new at reading for other people so I would welcome anyone else's thoughts here!

By the way Hilary has some excellent I Ching-learning resources on this very site.

By the way #2: don't forget your baby won't start actually toddling for a year or so, so you've got some time --

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).