...life can be translucent

Menu

Wan nian li

mythili

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a reliable english translation of this - is the Tong-Shu the same thing?
Thanks.
Shobhana:bows:

boyler

visitor
Reaction score
Wan Nian Li (萬年曆) is in fact Ten Thousand Years Calendar.

It's not the same thing as Tong Shu, but the Tong Shu contains the information from the Ten Thousand Years Calendar for a particular year, as it is edited on yearly basis.

On the other hand Ten Thousand Years Calendar or Wan Nian Li is a book which contains calendar tables for, despite of its title, approximately some 100 years, depending on edition. The tables in the modern Ten Thousand Years Calendar consist of western dates and their pertaining jiazi (甲子) or sexagenary characters for years, months, and days. It also usually denotes 24 divisions of vapor or jieqi (節氣), as well as nine stars numbers for years, months, and days. There could also be some similar technical information.

About translations. There are some:

"Ten Thousand Years Book", by Dr. Edgar Sung, could qualify as a translation, although there is not much to translate. It covers period from 1920-2020.

"Hsia Calendar", by Vincent Koh, which contains calendar data from 1924-2024.

"The Thousand Year Calendar for Feng Shui & Destiny", by Raymond Lo, which contains calendar data from 1900-2050.

There are also many "Chinese astrology" books which contain in one form or another the calendar tables from the Ten Thousand Years Calendar, and some of them are:

"Discover Your Destiny", by Hee Yin Fan, which contains calendar data from 1912-2031.

"The Path to Good Fortune", by Lily Chung, Ph.D, which contains calendar data from 1920-2030.

etc.

HTH

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was searching for the last geng chen day, to see when a new cycle was 'seeded'. It turned out to be March 31. And when I googled where I could get a new Wan Nian Li, because mine expires next year, I found this thread, of March 31. :rolleyes:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).