...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 58.2.4>3 Suspicion of Affair

Maserati

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,I have been a silent observer of this forum for the past few months and I am still a beginner so I began with Iching coins.I just threw coins over a question:"Is S being suspicious of T having an affair now?"So background of the story is, I have a female friend L who is currently seeing a married guy (T). So I am worried for her because I feel that with the current situation unfolding, only a totally oblivious wife would not have any suspicions. Unless she does have someone of interest outside as well - which might be the possibility here. So S in the question is T's wife. I am confused because overall hexagram 58 is rather positive one, eventho 3 is not so much. So what is Yi trying to tell me here with hex 58.2.4 changing to hex 3?Any input would be greatly appreciated!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I see the reading as saying that at this time their romance is just a fling but that if it continues one or the other may want it to be something more in which case there would be difficulties. Although the I Ching's answers can be interpreted as both yes and no (which is why it's not easy to interpret yes or no questions accurately), it seems to me this response means the wife is unaware at this time but that may change it the affair continues.

Maserati

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Rosada, thank you for replying!May I know how did you read that:1. their romance is just a fling; and 2. the wife is unaware at the moment?Because I have been listening to Hillary's audio for beginner and it said something about relating hexagram tends to show where you stand in relation to the primary hexagram, while the moving lines show where and how this relationship works. So if the relating hexagram is 3 (Difficulty at the Beginning) and that shows where the relationship stands between S & T - in difficulty, and hexagram 58 line 2 and 4 highlighted communication, I thought S somehow had brought up the topic about this which then lead to difficulties/tension in the relationship. Was I lost in translation? :p

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Well here's where we see the difficulty in asking a yes or no question.
Hexagram 58.2 can mean childish pleasures, not thinking beyond the moment, and thus a romantic fling of no lasting importance but it can also mean honest communication. So does it mean the couple is acting out a teenage crush where they feel they can tell each other everything? Or is it saying there is honest communication between the husband and wife, and thus she knows?
58.4 can mean guilty pleasure and also indecision, should we continue or stop now? It describes a desire to know where this is all headed before making a deeper commitment. So is the couple considering taking this further, announcing their affection to the world? Or is it saying the wife may on some level sense something is amiss but perhaps she doesn't want to acknowledge it, is undecided as to whether she really wants to bring this out in the open?
Hexagram 3 is Difficulty AT THE BEGINNING, so rather than seeing this as the couple being in difficulty I see it as saying this relationship is still at the beginning, it's unclear where they want it to go or how to proceed.
Over all the hexagrams seem to me to talk more about the fact the couple like each other a great deal and don't know what to do about it, rather than a discussion of whether the wife knows or doesn't know, which further makes me think she does not know or the I Ching would have mentioned that. It could also suggest that until the wife does find out or admits she suspects something the couple will have difficulty beginning a real relationship with each other.
58.4 makes me think they should discuss what they would do if the wife finds out.

Last edited:

Maserati

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your explanation, Rosada! Will be open with other interpretations as well if any :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).