...life can be translucent

Menu

Let it go? Hex. 59

amalia

visitor
Reaction score
Here I am again, as usual with work problems. As my situation as a writer seems to be "exeedingly still" (I am represented by an agent till February 2008, but I have reasons not to trust him anymore, and I do not think he'll be able to sell my novel), and I did not see chances to get it rapidly better, I asked the Yi "What should I do?". The answer is hex. 59 (no changing lines). It seems to me the Oracle is only telling: "Nothing. You're right, this goes beyond yourself. Let it go, let it pass. You must wait, get rid of your agent, and than you'll be able to move in some direction." Do you agree? Or am I missing some point?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
This is not about getting rid of your agent but rather going to see him and iron out any issues that you are not happy about, getting all the problems sorted out without resulting to conflict. So, go talk to him, you will be better off for it.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here I am again, as usual with work problems. As my situation as a writer seems to be "exeedingly still" (I am represented by an agent till February 2008, but I have reasons not to trust him anymore, and I do not think he'll be able to sell my novel), and I did not see chances to get it rapidly better, I asked the Yi "What should I do?". The answer is hex. 59 (no changing lines). It seems to me the Oracle is only telling: "Nothing. You're right, this goes beyond yourself. Let it go, let it pass. You must wait, get rid of your agent, and than you'll be able to move in some direction." Do you agree? Or am I missing some point?

I am inclined to agree with your interpretation. For me 59 has been far more about letting things go that making things better, especially unchanging

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hexagram 59 also removes obstacles to vision and understanding within your own mind. Are you contractually forbidden from doing anything to sell your novel yourself right now? Does the novel have to be sold on paper? Does it have to be issued by a publishing house? In a single installment? If you look up from the issues with the untrustworthy agent for a while, what possibilities come into view in the bigger picture?

What if you were the king in the temple?

my_key

visitor
Reaction score

Hi There

59 to me in this case is I feel is a more personal message on a grand scale.
This is an advantageous divination. Dispersing means radiance breaking through.
Kick off the shackles, clean away the cobwebs - grasp the moment by the throat and shake it about a bit. Do you need to look wider than just the issues you have around this novel?
You asked the IC "What should I do?" I can see nothing in the question that limits it to what is going on around the novel.
Build the temple as big as you can !!!

Love and hugs

Mike

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi There

59 to me in this case is I feel is a more personal message on a grand scale.
This is an advantageous divination. Dispersing means radiance breaking through.
Kick off the shackles, clean away the cobwebs - grasp the moment by the throat and shake it about a bit. Do you need to look wider than just the issues you have around this novel?
You asked the IC "What should I do?" I can see nothing in the question that limits it to what is going on around the novel.
Build the temple as big as you can !!!

Love and hugs

Mike

I like that

amalia

visitor
Reaction score
Some explanation

Dear all,
You have been very helpful, but I must clear some points - I see I am always a bit reticent to explain how complex my situation is...:
1) Yes, Hilary: I AM contractually forbidden from doing anything to sell my novel myself right now.To be more specific, I am also contractually forbidden to do ANYTHING about my literary production without the permission of my agent. I must admit that he allowed me to take part in some lit competition, but I find it extremely annoying to ask him every time...
2) Problems with my agent became big regarding my poetry. A couple of years ago I won a poetry competition. The prize consisted in being published. But the company who was to publish my poetry was quite reluctant to subscribe the contract (even if they did not refuse it expressedly), and they found every reason to delay; so, as my agent was a friend of the owner of the company, I thought it was wise to be represented by him, in order that he could put the right word to let me have my contract, which happened. Even after I had it, I waited an year and a half for the publication - but I was not worried, because the main thing seemed to be my novel, and my mind was totally occupied by it. In September 2006, my agent told me he had quarreled with my publisher, and that we would have to fight to have my poetry released. For the following 4 months, agent and publisher quarreled about my book by e-mail, sending me evey mail in copy. My agent took the whole question at a personal level - he was not professional at all, phoned me up to complain about the publisher and asked me (even if not explicitly) to sue him (which I refused, because it would have lead to nothing): he lost his mind, expressed himself in very "unformal" ways, and I was left to set things up... Which I did, even if he is still persuaded that we had the book published because he "talked aloud". But that's not what upset me. The point is, in the middle of all this he wrote me that he was under no obligation of dealing with my poetry book, because I subscribed the publishing contract before the contract with my agent. I was FURIOUS - I still am - not because of the thing itself, which was unrelevant (the results of his "taking care of my poetry" were so awful I was not particulary interested to see him going on with it...), but because he told something false: the contract obliged him to represent me regarding ALL my literary production. He tried to explain to me, a lawyer, how our contract worked - this was ridicolous and awful offensive. But I did not say anything about my rage, for I thought I was about to make his same mistake - I could not took his misbehaving at a personal level. Instead, I asked him to subscribe a modification of our contract, in order to let me explicitly free to do what I want with my new poetry. He said yes, no, maybe, why, are you STILL writing poetry? I was disgusted, but I kept my mouth closed. In the meanwhile, he gave me many false hopes about the publication of my novel, but I still got nothing in my hands: I have no reasons to believe he did not work about it - I have proofs he really contacted many publishing companies, and discussed with many editors. But I also feel he did not know what my novel is - he is trying to sell it to the wrong companies. To be perfectly true, I am doubting about his cleverness...
3)My key, you are perfectly right, and hit a sensitive point: I (desperatedly) need to look wider than just the issues I have around my literary production. My whole work situation is by now very difficult. But I am even much too worried to consult the Oracle about it, so I limited my question to "What should I do about my lit production?".

Hope this gives a wider wiew of my situation. But I must warn you I omitted many details - sorry, no more time! Kisses to all, Vassilissa.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Vassilissa, I do sympathise. I had a similar experience myself recently on a much smaller scale. Someone I hired and trusted who turned out to be not at all hard-working, not really competent, and not quite honest. What you've written about keeping quiet about your rage and trying not to take it personally sounds very familiar. So does the feeling I get from what you wrote that it's very hard to get past this whole thoroughly nasty episode. Of course being caught in a contract with him until February won't make that any easier...

The basic idea of Hexagram 59 is to dissolve obstructions and artificial limitations so you can see further and allow energy to flow naturally. If you look at the whole landscape of your creative and working life, there is one ugly little box that contains your agent and your contract with him, where your options are severely limited. (Unless there's some way to dissolve the contract itself ahead of time?) But the box is only a tiny, tiny fraction of the landscape. I like what Mike wrote very much.

amalia

visitor
Reaction score
YES there is a chance to dissolve the contract ahead of time (my agent is so ignorant of the law or he trusted so in himself that he put this clause in the contract even if I did not ask for it...), but I'm reluctant to do that either. My book is still under judgement in an important publishing company. From a rational point of wiew, I doubt this will end well - my experiences tell me, if they like you, they SHOUT; but if they remain silent for eight month, as they did, nothing good is going to come... But anyhow, the point is: it is wise to get rid of my agent while this long-lasting judgement process is still on? Suppose you are a publishing company: how would you judge an author who rejects her agent while you're still discussing with him? Wouldn't you think she's a little neurotic? But I also must admit I am totally scared. It took me so much time and so many steps to be represented by an agent - and now that I discovered I got to nothing I do not know where to start from anew. Must I find another agent? Or should I get back to propose myself autonomously (in Italy you do not necessarily need an agent to be published - but the truth is, you need somebody important who talks favourably of your work - another author, or a professor, or whosoever - but somebody whose opinion they think is worth of respect)? So I am scared and I prefere waiting instead of acting - mostly because I know how I can be terrible when I say what I think (believe me about this point!), and I do not want to ruin my formal relation with my agent - I mean, I want to be able to talk to him again if it's necessary ! And maybe I must also add I believe writing is my only true talent (leaving apart cooking...). But I am becoming pathetic - sorry...

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Vassilissa
This is obviously a difficult time for you. A suggestion would be to really get a understanding of 59. I think a path is there for you - grasp the nettle. There is all sorts of other aspects to it ....... starting a project... entering life with a purpose ... profit and insight.... self expression and clarity. Try to step back from where you are and perhaps a clearer picture will unfurl for you.

On a lighter note ---- "I believe writing is my only true talent (leaving apart cooking...).

If Nigella Lawson can do it so can you :).

schastlivchik

visitor
Reaction score
First of all, you are to be commended for sticking to what you love to do and not giving up! Second, remember that since you finally found an agent, you can do it again, and the next one can be an even better match for you. It is easier to attract something into our lives once we have already done it.

Hex 59 has an inverse hexagram: no 60 Limitation. If you play with the way these two feel in contrast to one another, do you get a more positive, freeing sense with no.59 than you used to? How does Limitation fit into where you are now, and how can you use that knowledge to see more opportunities for the energy of no59 in your literary life?

best wishes!
Schastlivchik

amalia

visitor
Reaction score
Unbelievable!

Well, you won't believe it, nor I will, but "the important publishing company" whose "long lasting judgment process" was (quite literally) running over me said THEY ARE INTERESTED! My agent called me yesterday - I take back everything I said against him. He told me he'll arrange a meeting in order to discuss the editing (that's normal - they never want your novel as it is - and maybe in this case they are even right...). The difficult point is (as always): will they sign a contract before the editing is done? Or will they pretend to read it, to meditate, and then, maybe... But anyhow I am shocked - happily, but shocked. The oracle, after all, as me and trojan interpretated it, was right. I had to do nothing - I have been soo lucky I have obeyed - I simply cannot imagine what I could have lost if I had talked! Kisses to everybody.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Great news! I wish you smooth and happy Articulating of a contract :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).