...life can be translucent

Menu

About my book and the Public

wandering

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,

The question is: Give me some insight about my book and the public.

I got word that my book was published yesterday. It is out in the market ready to be sold to potential buyers. I don't really know how much more to tell you. I worked very hard and I hope people like it. So...I was wondering what iChing had to say.

"Give me some insight about my book and the public."

Its answer was 4.1 .

I am thinking how inappropriate it is to tell me how undisciplined I am. I am very discipline, I had to be to write several books. But then I wonder if Yi is referring to the public?

Thanks for your comments.

stadt

visitor
Reaction score
I don't think you should be alarmed (or offended for that matter) by your reading - instead I think it is a good reading, especially regarding a book.

My interpretation is that the I Ching is referring to the public, the hexagram speaks of young fools seeking a master that will educate them. It seems such an appropriate hexagram for a book! Line 1, perhaps points to the publication of your book itself: the fetters are removed (as Wilhelm suggests), it's out in the world now.

The discipline part, if referring to you, might suggest that you're overdoing it rather than the opposite - also, I'm thinking that at first the response of the public won't be as warm as you might wish, but that will change in time.

poised

visitor
Reaction score
wandering, I've had books published too. And know all too well the anticipatory fear/hope while waiting for sales and reviews. If you are writing for the mainstream fiction or nonfiction market, you are essentially writing for your audience, and they will let you know what they think. So there you are, with no control any more. It's all in their hands.

In Hillary's I Ching, Walking Your Path, Creating Your Future, she writes of 4.1,:

"Sent out into the confusion of the world...(the author) will learn best by experiencing all the consequences of his actions to the full. You need to be free to hear the truth...A first step to learning is to let go of everything that shackles you -- which might include ideas, etc..."

And Hexagram 41 is Decrease...again, about letting go, decreasing your participation, decreasing your control. This is the beginning of Increase.

The public is both your friend/harsh mistress. If you can really let go of your attachment to desired outcomes (you're a Zen master, right?) the readers' response is essentially market research.

Indications are that you will do well with this book :claps:...the beginnings of increase.

wandering

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you both so much for your insight. You're right! I have let it go, and I am waiting to see what happens.

wandering

visitor
Reaction score
Update: Since I first published my book I have had three sales.

Marketing and advertizing costs a lot of money, so I use Twitter and FB, some Penterest to market. About three months ago, after consulting Yi, I decided to take my book off the market and make some changes. It was a good move. I did some editing, changed a couple little things, those edits should make ties to my next books easier to understand. Hopefully an, "ah ha! I remember that,: kind of thing. So I see this time as rejuvenating. I plan to re-market and sell my book again this April--a little ironic isn't it, the same time of year as last.

That's it.

Thank you for all your insights and help.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).