...life can be translucent

Menu

'10 days' of hex 55.1

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
What does the '10 days' refer to besides the obvious? A short amount of time?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
"'10 days' of hex 55.1
What does the '10 days' refer to besides the obvious? A short amount of time?"

You join together with someone of likemind for a specific purpose, holiday, working together etc. The text says 10 days but 10 just indicates a full cycle of time, so I would presume a full cycle of time can be of any length until whatever you are doing together has been completed.
So, if you went on holiday with your friend for 21 days that would be a complete cycle, a project that will take 90 days to complete would be a full cycle.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I'd agree with that but wondering if there is no 'project' between you, no specific thing you are doing together, say it is a romance or friendship how that plays out.

I think it means in that case the relationship has a limited life, not to try to go beyond that. Thats how its played out for me,

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Xun2 was an ancient ten day week in the old way of reckoning.
It's like saying "even a week is not a problem"
It's significant to note that the Chinese text does not say
Shi Ri or ten days, since when the Yi uses numbers they often
have other symbolic meanings related to that number.
There still was a symbolism to the number of days, but this was by
way of their association to the Ten Celestial Stems. Thus the time
period represented a full cycle. This was also a third of a month
on an old lunar calendar.

Last edited:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Something else just occurred to me. Any thoughts on this one LiSe?
In the Shang or Yin Dynasty, the ten day cycle was filled with a different set of rituals for different ancestors for each of the ten days. When they were all cycled through, it would start all over again. It's possible that there was a cultural notion still around that all of the various spirits could afford you one "Bye" day, that everyone was allowed this much slack. But if you missed two you were starting to be rude to your ancestors. Ten days would be the period that would use up all of this slack without really insulting any of the spirits. That's why more than ten days could lead to problems (actually, to zai or disasters).

ariel13

visitor
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just want to comment that I remember getting this line right before I was hired at my last full time job. I had asked the IChing what the likelihood I'd be hired was, as I was freelancing there at the time. Not long after I was asked to join the team full time and offered a really nice salary. I worked there for 2 years, and then I was laid off when the company started doing badly financially. So I really did couple with the place ceaselessly for a set period of time! It wasn't a terribly long among of time in the scheme of life but nonetheless a substantial enough amount of time for consideration.

So there you go! A full circle story :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).