...life can be translucent

Menu

lesson to be learned: 38.1.4.6>7

tsjournal

visitor
Reaction score
I asked Yi what lesson do I need to learn from my recent unsuccessful relationship with someone who moved away? In reply, I got 38.1.4.6>7
Being new and wishing to learn here is my interpretation:
38.1 Don't chase after anyone but learn to accept that those who belong with us will come back and those who don't will leave.
38.4 Not sure what the lesson in this line - it rather describes me meeting the person in question - I live in a city where I have hard time connecting and meeting new people (hence isolated) and he was someone I felt connected and shared a lot in common with so for the brief time I didn't feel so isolated (perhaps the lesson here is to reassure me that there was no mistake in dating this person? not quite sure).
38.6 Perhpas this line advises me not to be so critical of my ex who left and not to view him as "a pig covered with dirt". The line also talks about the union but I don't want to put any hopes on that.

I also asked "what is the meaning of X coming into my life and than leaving?" and got 54 (unchanging). Is it saying that certain things are just out of our control?

Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback and comments from more experienced IChing users to make sure I keep on learning. Thank you guys in advance!

elias

visitor
Reaction score
tsjournal -- please look over several other 38 threads now current for extended discussions. I'd say your interpretations are generally correct. I'm of the opinion that line 4 -- which is the most confusing for you -- is also the most significant. It may describe meeting the "person in question"; it may also describe meeting someone new. Or it may mean getting spiritual help by releasing incorrect ideas about how the world works and getting onto a better path.

Hexagram 7 is generally about aligning yourself with the ideals of humanity rather than getting too caught up in your own head games. As others here suggest, your readings may make more sense if you look at the second hexagram first, then read the initial hexagram.

54 strengthens and confirms the message from 7. It's is about wanting and the mischief this leads one into. "The way developed people handle things is that before they ... start something, they first consider lasting results. If they think of lasting results, they know what is wrong with acting prematurely, like marrying an immature girl."

tsjournal

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you elias! I have always been uncertain about hex 7 - that is why I didn't even try to incorporate it in my translation. I still don't understand it even after your interpretation. Reading numerious threads pertaining to this hex the message I got speaks of devotion, following a strong leader, etc. What does "aligning myself with the ideals of humanity...." really mean? Do you suggest that the lesson/advice here is that I need to get involved with the outside world more? I just don't feel like this interpretation resinates with me since I already volunteer, have friends and busy social life. Is there thread/discussion I missed that would help me understand your interpretation of hex 7?

elias

visitor
Reaction score
A thread from a few years ago might enlighten: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=2301

Some deeper background: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=3104

And yet more: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=7866

LiSe's take on it... http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/hex_1-16/hex_e_07.htm

Plenty of other sources out there too. Try a Google search, hit your local library for more interpretations of the IC, talk to people about it...

And -- this will sound like quite a cop-out -- sometimes one can't understand a hexagram because one is simply not in a state where you can make sense of it. I'm sure many advanced readers can fill you in on this experience.

tsjournal

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you elias! The links you sent have been most helpful. Plus, after stepping away and re-reading what you said earlier was very beneficial as well.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).