...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 23.6 Auspicious or Not?

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
I've been invited to apply for a position. It may have potential although parts aren't my cup of tea so to speak. Some aspects may alter over time to more fully suit my credentials. I've asked "What is the result if I take this position?" and received the casting Hexagram 23.6 becoming Hexagram 2.

I view the aspect of Hex 2 as something wide open, a position that is malleable and the line 6 of Hexagram 23 as something with stability and also with a potential for change, for adjustment that maybe hasn't come to light yet in this role.

HOWEVER, I could also view this as a role that hasn't come up yet, something in the offing that I should be considering, or will want to consider. Maybe there's a definitive aspect of the line that points one way or the other -- or something entirely different -- that I haven't thought of, so inviting ideas on this one!:hug: Arabella

S

sooo

I see it as describing the experience. Meaning, you lose prestige but your inner person finds an easy ride.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
As the sweet apple blushes on the end of the bough, the very end of the bough which gatherers missed, nay, missed not, but could not reach.

Sappho

Wow, quite poetic. Meaning that it's a "plum" job in disguise? Oooh, pardon that awful pun.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
I see it as describing the experience. Meaning, you lose prestige but your inner person finds an easy ride.

The job is far beneath the level of what I would usually do, but for a good cause so to speak. Physically it is more demanding in that the hours are long. The pay isn't wonderful, but it's not bad in the market at the moment.

My only real concern is whether I can physically keep up with the demands after a truly awful Winter that left me ill. I didn't specifically ask that question, but that is implied in wanting to know the possibility of taking the job.

patro

visitor
Reaction score
you'll take the job... and you'll be submissive to it.
as you stated it's not your cup of tea... so you will be receptive for all the need.

S

sooo

Maybe there's a definitive aspect of the line that points one way or the other -- or something entirely different -- that I haven't thought of, so inviting ideas on this one!:hug: Arabella

At the risk of sounding flip floppy, given your additional information and the question of physical demands, it may be, while the networking is beneficial, that you may not be a fit for that job, but it may lead to something you haven't thought of.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
I think it is an auspicious reading . . it sounds more like a 'prune' rather than 'plum' job though (I know I know, I'm going on with that awful pun!!)

btw, I got curious and looked up the difference between plums and prunes to find that:

The difference between plums and prunes is small. Plums are clingstone (the pit does not separate easily from the flesh) and prunes are freestone.

http://www.produceoasis.com/TipOTDay_folder/Tips_folder/Jul22tip.html

. . doesn't 'freestone' sound very close to 23.6? like letting the inner flow find its place and carry you along with it . . .

Another thing is, in the past there has been talk of 23 as pointing to generosity (I've been reading too much of the archives these days, I know I shouldn't!) but I think that that also has its role in this, in that finding a way to be generous towards what feels uncomfortable plays a major part in stripping, cause it doesn't seem like a happy process . . in any case, it seems to imply loss and/or discomfort

So this might be saying that you'll have to deal with some inner voices or you might find you need to allow time and circumstance work its ways on you until you are 'freestone' and the way to do this is by being generous and respectful towards yourself and those around you, honoring the processes for what they are and being thankful for the means that carry forth your life . . I'm thinking of very simple elements in our life which may not seem too 'spiritual' at first sight but are the vital stuff we are made of, as limited as these may be - it's these and the dreams' stuff! . . :)

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
"What is the result if I take this position?" and received the casting Hexagram 23.6 becoming Hexagram 2.

I'm never comfortable wit my understanding of 23.6 but there is usually a pattern when it occurs. Either I'm second questioning myself about a decision already made or an action already taken or when I hesitate to choose between two options.

sometimes I feel Yi says " you have those two option , what do you want to do ?" . Sometimes it feels like I need to "sacrifice" something. Other times feels liberating. sometimes force me to ask "from those two people of 23.6 line which one you want to be?"
On a second layer, i have noticed that almost always is about trust.

I recall a time got 23.6 when asked if i should cancel a seminar & vacations trip that I had already booked and payed for them. I can't tell you for sure what happened inside but i decided to go and have a good time and don't let anything or anyone spoil it. I had a great time !! and the fell of it was like being carried , easily ,smoothly. it was an awesome feeling.

I had a very difficult winter and I really needed to have a good time, to recharge. And i did. There were some people we were connected very easily like we knew each other for a long time. The funny thing was that when they left ( i took an extended package) and I intermingled with some other people and mostly with those planned that trip, I was told that it was the worst seminar ever, lots of fights, problems , contentions etc. Line 23.6 popped into my mind and again that feeling of being carried, protected.

If it were my reading, and having in mind my experience of 23.6 and how it has played out for me, I would go for it. What could be the worst thing might happened ? maybe realizing that its very physically intensive and I couldn't carry it out. So i would hopped on .

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
HOWEVER, I could also view this as a role that hasn't come up yet, something in the offing that I should be considering, or will want to consider.

I wrote a long post on that seems it went lost. ( grrh). The main concept was that , yes sometimes it feels like that you describe !. sorry for not elaborating but really frustrated now i didn't save it before hitting the post button. :rolleyes:

S

sooo

(pointing up the scroll a notch to Maria) It got posted.

I think Dora and Maria make some interesting points. The idea of nourishing life by shedding what has become obsolete is an act of kindness, even if it hurts at first.

Helping the lower parts of yourself could mean relaxing in a hot bath, getting those two extra hours of sleep, being up for a brisk morning walk, eating a cookie, and just being nice to yourself. I don't know the medical practice now, but I recall having my tonsils removed as a tot while under the influence of ether. It was a nightmare-ish experience, but the great part was that I got to eat all the ice cream I wanted afterwards.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Oh no!

What a shame, I'd have loved to read it. This is a complicated one for me and I know if I commit to it it's with the intention to stay a couple years. The alternatives are few and would probably mean that I'd have to do something self-styled and maybe not make any money for a while -- which is REALLY scarey. So I'm wavering and trying to decide what matters most -- flowing free and waiting for another answer or trying something I know how to do that isn't perfect but brings stability. Aaaaaaaaah, what a decision.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Nah. was too emotional , lol. So its not easy to write it again, sorry.

but what I was mainly wanted to say was I said here.
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=10805

The first thing i thought when i saw your reading was your reading about your job plans.I "see" there are connected in a way, at least in my eyes are not separated.

I like how the trigrams "talk" in this combination ( 23.6>2 ) The Mountain gives way and Earth comes and 23 becomes 2, pure Earth.

ace

visitor
Reaction score
Through cutting/revealing yourself to the core, from toe to hairline, this job could make you VERY RECEPTIVE to what you REALLY want from a job (or life), and this stark bareness might show you the way to the waiting opportunity that you can't see.

LISE 23.6 writes, "When everything is destroyed, ... A great spirit sees an opening for something new, unexpected. There is always the untouched fruit: that faith or inspiration which brings about new life." The "everything" here might be the (limiting) beliefs about: career, the self, your ability, who you are, your ideals, that which is realistic/unrealistic, the boundaries you set for yourself/your life/your reality, fears, etc. Perhaps, one doesn't know how far one can reach until one attempts a fruit on the upper branches, and one won't do that until one is very very hungry.

Not sure ... :)

Last edited:

ace

visitor
Reaction score
Bradford ... love your work!! Brilliant and transformative!!

Question: could the unsustainable be that which is impeding the future growth? I always see a snake shedding its skin for 23' like issues ... And, is that its link to 24, the start of the new cycle through this clearing for the future and future growth? Hmmm ... not sure now that I have written it. thanks again.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
The processes of destruction or deconstruction depicted by 23 normally take or strip away only what is unsustainable. Although there may be some collateral damage, what belongs to the future is usually spared or confirmed.

Well here's something interesting then. What I would be doing if I accept this job is stepping back from what I am now doing that the company can no longer afford and taking on something lesser that is a more stable salary but less prestigious and less dynamic. Still, matters could flourish again later on if I don't just leave at the end of the consultancy I'm doing now. I'd be a full-fledged part of the company for the long haul. You could say that my position now is "unsustainable" because the funding has died. OR you could say my position in the company at all is "unsustainable" because the job that is still available wouldn't normally appear to have my name on it. They were quite surprised when I said I would consider applying now that it's been offered. Nobody thought I'd be much interested in something less creative. So what's on the "upper branch" -- this job or something I haven't seen yet?

S

sooo

Bradford ... love your work!! Brilliant and transformative!!

Question: could the unsustainable be that which is impeding the future growth? I always see a snake shedding its skin for 23' like issues ... And, is that its link to 24, the start of the new cycle through this clearing for the future and future growth? Hmmm ... not sure now that I have written it. thanks again.

Yeah, he's not so bad. hahaha :)

I view natural cycles of molting as 49, whereas 23 I associate mostly with human actions, which may also be seasonal, such as pruning back lanky overgrowth in the fall. When life energy returns to the roots, there's nothing really lost from the tree that impedes its growth. Just the opposite. A pruned rosebush bears the finest roses. This isn't just an image, it's literally how rose gardens become: overgrown and unyielding of flowers, or cut back severely in fall to ensure no loss of life energy to the killing winter elements.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I like the pruning image. The snake skin too (but more for 49). I see a process of selection here.
Herbert Spencer's phrase "Survival of the Fittest" continues to be grossly misunderstood as "Might Makes Right." In fact it means the one best fit or best adapted, to its niche or position. In this sense 23 is survival of the fittest. What belongs will survive. What has occupied an improper position will get taken down.
As to the fruit, this is the one that gets to rot, that maybe gets to become a new tree.

mythili

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I see 23.6 as a time in between the ending of the unsustainable time or things in 23 and the beginning of 24. The time when the seed from that ripe fruit is about to start a new life. It can be a painful time. What would be the right choice here - that to keep the longer term in view, its best to take a whole new direction, not just make do with small improvements or change your life around in just small ways. And H2 - the open field in front of you - new, unexplored, but with possibilities.

With 23.6 - whats past is past, you cant get it back, its a mistake to try and stick to it by adapting or making small changes in outlook.

Dont know if any of this helps....

Like when I have done a major cleaning of my house, I've ended up throwing out a LOT of stuff that I had no use for, keeping only what turned out to be of real use.

mythili

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
When I've got 23.6, my initial feeling has been that I had just lost the roof/shelter over my head - BUT only what I THOUGHT was the shelter - it worked for a time, but in its present form, could not have lasted, its destruction was necessary. But it does leave you with the unknowns of H2. Which can be scary in this case.

But you're right, it can be non-obvious what that longer view should be. Perhaps its your own journey, and the time of 23 is one part of the journey thats now over, and you've got to, or are going to be anyway, starting a new part of it.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Like when I have done a major cleaning of my house, I've ended up throwing out a LOT of stuff that I had no use for, keeping only what turned out to be of real use.

And looking back that usually turns out to be a satisfying exercise. To enjoy it as it's happening puts the positive spin on 23.6.
Your image is particularly good when you consider that what you turn loose of often goes to charity. Generosity is one of 23's themes, especially in the Da Xiang.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
many good things here . . roses and shelters and positive spins . .

At one time I was trying to 'read' 23's lines as instructions in deconstructing a yurt . . you know in a yurt most parts can be replaced or rebuilt -the wall latices, the felt covers, roof poles, the door or window frames- except for its 'crown' which Kazakh people called shangrak and which

would remain intact, passed from father to son upon the father's death. A family's length of heritage could be measured by the accumulation of stains on the shangrak from decades of smoke passing through it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt

while it has also been related to the buddhist symbol of dharmachakra -I always thought it made for an interesting analogy to 23.6 . .

anyways, thanks for the great thread ..:)

ace

visitor
Reaction score
thanks for the images ... fruit gone to seed, rose gardens cut back in the fall, spring cleaning donated to charity. Very useful. Generosity, hmm? Is it the sacrifice in one place that leads to the generosity in another? Reduction/paring back in one place leads (transforms) into the giving in another? I will have to mull on this. It is hard for me to feel into this attribute of 23.

Hopefully this somewhat hijacked thread has been a little help to arabella. It certainly has been to me. My bad. Sorry.

S

sooo

Is it the sacrifice in one place that leads to the generosity in another?

The noble one acquires a sedan...

fred-flintstone-barney-rubble-car.jpg

:)

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
I was browsing some books and came across to this.

Round and perfect like vast space
nothing lacking, nothing in excess.

it reminded me of Arabella's 23.6> 2

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
I was browsing some books and came across to this.

it reminded me of Arabella's 23.6> 2

Thinking of "walking away" from this opportunity it is hard to see that as a continuum or the essence of a circle of life and not a deadend. I've been struggling with that one since this idea was presented because I know I could be accepting something half-perfect and eliminating something whole because I'm too fearful to wait or imagine. And that's what I was wondering about the "sedan chair" idea from the start. The sedan could be on its way and I'm insisting that I will walk when I could have this exotic vehicle -- if I were willing to bet on the future. Or, put another way, if I take this over ripe fruit I get a mushy lunch, rather than letting it fall to the ground and become a luxuriant new tree in time with fruit galore. It seems an easy choice, and yet the element of worry is strong that walking is better than nothing and a mushy lunch is better than starving.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
many good things here . . roses and shelters and positive spins . .

At one time I was trying to 'read' 23's lines as instructions in deconstructing a yurt . . you know in a yurt most parts can be replaced or rebuilt -the wall latices, the felt covers, roof poles, the door or window frames- except for its 'crown' which Kazakh people called shangrak and which while it has also been related to the buddhist symbol of dharmachakra -I always thought it made for an interesting analogy to 23.6 . .

anyways, thanks for the great thread ..:)

Interesting image from Rodaki -- spookily involved in what I am doing just now. I'm in charge of planning a retreat for a hundred people next month out in the "wilds" and will be hiring a few yurts as places for meetings and meditation. I'd never laid my eyes on a "yurt" until last week and had to decide what parts we would have as they come with skin-like walls and ribbed insides, rugs and stoves and various types of decor. Quite an experience to assemble the ultimate yurt for our gathering. And now, here's Rodaki with the yurt analogy for the very problem I face and of all metaphors this is one quite dear to my heart right here and now. My own yurt, my comfortable old hut of a job, will have been stripped completely by this coming thursday -- but a different one will be appearing over the hill at a retreat in about four weeks where I can think all of this through and, I hope, find a new path.:hug: arabella

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).