...life can be translucent

Menu

Lofting's emotional i ching

Reaction score
Is this Lofting's own personal take on the i ching? does anyone have experience with this book? I sort of want to check it out. It seems like he gets pretty philosophical and branches out a bit from the core meanings. I might like that. Take care.

Reaction score
This is a reply to this thread and the Karcher Recommendation. It's a modge podge sorry

I only have something like 14 translations.. but when my friends come over and ask about my growing book piles, I tell them it is all the same book, just different translations and they just dont seem to understand! :eek:

Hilary, I am for sure running out of money and I need a new book shelf. And my computer is about to go to the next life so I am going to be hurting but not bored. I will just be reading if it completely crashes!

There is so much info that you guys have presented me with regarding emotional i ching. THANKS! It is all very complex and I love it. Even tho it would seem that Lofting is getting away from casting, it actually brings up the idea of casting more. A catch 22 in the discussion realm.

Ok, so I am seeing it like this in a way.... Obviously we can see the Yi as an oracle but we can also see it as simply understanding the natural changes in life. and for a minute there, I thought I would just study the text and apply it to my life, not casting. But the Yi is just too darn good at knowing what is the right next step that I dropped that whole idea and kept casting. But we sometimes stop and look at a moment and go, "that is so 20.3". We can obviously apply the knowledge of nature to our lives without casting. So, do you think Lofting is saying that if we can REALLY understand the situation we are wondering about. The emotions of it, the outer environment and everything, we can pin point which hexagram is suitable for the situation and maybe even possibly what best change/changing line would better the situation (thru his mathmatical/class-like system). ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh dear. Every single time, without exception, that I tried to paraphrase something Chris was saying, he told me I had it hideously wrong. Here goes anyway.

Chris was saying that casting didn't work any better than chance. You could see some correspondence between the cast hexagram and the reading, and so he would sometimes chime in with his take on a reading, but it would not be the best fit. I think he would say that the only way to find the true best fit would be to use his system; I doubt that your intuitive recognition of a '20.3 situation' would be good enough.

Now you must imagine a post following this one that calls me 'grasshopper' and says my mind is stuck in 2000BC.

Reaction score
Chris was saying that casting didn't work any better than chance. You could see some correspondence between the cast hexagram and the reading, and so he would sometimes chime in with his take on a reading, but it would not be the best fit. I think he would say that the only way to find the true best fit would be to use his system; I doubt that your intuitive recognition of a '20.3 situation' would be good enough.

Fine then :D So he sees his way as the way. It's weird tho. I wonder what he would think about this: I recently gave myself a reading and using yarrow it took a little more time to form the answer. The entire time I was thinking of my question, I had a hexagram in mind that seemed to fit with what I best thought the answer could be. As the hexagram was being built, I kept thinking "this can't be so", and every line didn't dissapoint, all the way to the top. I got that hex. I didn't however think about which lines would be moving or the other hexagram (which, to me, was really the part of the reading that gave me the most guidance).

I think his idea is an interesting one... one to take into account with all of the other ways of looking at the Yi. I was thinking about getting Karcher's Relationship Yi too. I want all of the angles I can get! :p

Now you must imagine a post following this one that calls me 'grasshopper' and says my mind is stuck in 2000BC.

:D 2000BC.... hrrrmmm. I'd be interesting in 'traveling' there with you just to scope it out!

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
. . . use his system;

Use his system, indeed. I was able to find only one example of his using his system when I looked into it. Intelligibility was not his forte.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think this question applies to the discussion :confused: ...
Was the Yi originally a philosophy book based on the changes of nature and the interactions of the element. A microcosm or metaphor for life?? Wasn't it originally used to understand and then later used as an oracle?

I feel like I should know this by now, but .... I shamefully do not. :bag:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Fine then :D So he sees his way as the way. It's weird tho. I wonder what he would think about this: I recently gave myself a reading and using yarrow it took a little more time to form the answer. The entire time I was thinking of my question, I had a hexagram in mind that seemed to fit with what I best thought the answer could be. As the hexagram was being built, I kept thinking "this can't be so", and every line didn't dissapoint, all the way to the top. I got that hex. I didn't however think about which lines would be moving or the other hexagram (which, to me, was really the part of the reading that gave me the most guidance).

I think his idea is an interesting one... one to take into account with all of the other ways of looking at the Yi. I was thinking about getting Karcher's Relationship Yi too. I want all of the angles I can get! :p

:D 2000BC.... hrrrmmm. I'd be interesting in 'traveling' there with you just to scope it out!

I wouldn't recommend buying more than one Karcher. I got "The I Ching" by Stephen Karcher, then a few years later the "Total I Ching" and there wasn't that much difference ! I've since seen numerous books of his with different titles all pretty much the same... ! Also I would steer clear when there are special I Ching books just for relationships..or money or anything else.you don't need them, total waste of money...

Chris Lofting did not believe in divination at all and spent a good deal of time telling us we were 10BC ers if we used the IC for divination. I have never ever seen a reading done the Lofting way...not even by him. People say they used his method but actually I have never seen it....

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Quite frankly I've learned far more from this site than any book

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Was the Yi originally a philosophy book based on the changes of nature and the interactions of the element. A microcosm or metaphor for life?? Wasn't it originally used to understand and then later used as an oracle?

nor do I...I don't think anyone does for sure. scholars would argue about it I think ?

Reaction score
Quite frankly I've learned far more from this site than any book

...gives me chills of joy.
I agree!

....as for the different Karcher books, I have 2... I can only see a difference in the amount of information, not what the information is. I thought perhaps the relationship one might be a nice spin and I am such a hopeless romantic!

Reaction score
Absolutely. In his prision meditation, King Wen interpreted the hexagrams as the phases of human life.

Just like how in the Wikiwing under each hex it has the sequence and pair :)

So far it has been hard for me to understand the changes that help better a situation without a casting. I can call something out as a hexagram or even a hex and a line, but I haven't been able to discern any second hex. I suppose if I feel something is, say, very 18.1 then the natural change is to 26. But it is only easy because it is one line that I am identifying with the situation.

I just love that a reading/casting always seems to dig a little deeper than I expect or can see. And multiple line readings make for a thick and rich recipe for betterment.
It's just like, Ohh, I would have never thought to use THAT ingredient!

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score

No - at least, not to the best of my knowledge. It starts life as an oracle. Then people discover that this thing that works as an oracle also encompasses general principles and contains a whole working philosophy, and can be read as a 'text book' of all these principles - like yin/yang, or the elements - which were not developed until long after Yi.

And by the way... what is 'using as an oracle' if not 'using to understand'? ;)

Reaction score
No - at least, not to the best of my knowledge. It starts life as an oracle. Then people discover that this thing that works as an oracle also encompasses general principles and contains a whole working philosophy, and can be read as a 'text book' of all these principles - like yin/yang, or the elements - which were not developed until long after Yi.

And by the way... what is 'using as an oracle' if not 'using to understand'? ;)

:bows: ah yes :bows: :rolleyes: I like that. Every time I ask a question and receive my answer, I add it to my mental experience of the Yi. The possibilities are endless and the experience and connections are too. It is very fun building a personal relationship with the Yi and also sharing it.

About which came first, other than the yin/yang theory etc. :
:mischief:Deep down in my bones I want to disagree. When I think about the old sages or whomever it was that originally were author/authors of the Yi, I think of them as looking around at nature and gathering understanding. Jotting down notes and talking about what they have seen. They feel the thunder and not far after Spring starts again. They mentally or textually jot the experience.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say this :confused: :D that when the original ideas of the Yi were verbally passed around and formulated, they were more than likely trying to gain an understanding of what is around them, not create an oracle.

Now, if this verbal and beginning observation and intention would be welcomed as being considered equal to the first actual 'written book', I do not know. :D But I would like to think that their original intentions were to understand nature, which, yes, would soon be followed by, and include, casting. :p THIS IS JUST ME THINKING OUTLOUD!! :blush: And who am I to know someone's intentions?... just a thought. I guess no one really knows.......

Last edited:

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

The answer to that is NO, to the "philosophy book" part. In the beginning, when there were more than one "Yi", they were all divination manuals. Also, I don't subscribe to legend as real historical characters, like Wen Wang, or Confucius himself, adding anything personally to the classic. I mean, it sounds nice and gives the classic a historical context but there's no hard evidence for it. Their regimes, in the case of the Zhou founders, and their schools, in the case of Confucius, did add some exegesis that was later compiled into the Yijing in Han times, about a thousand years after beginning of the Zhou dynasty, when divination systems were already well in use, and for many centuries before that.

Reaction score
Thanks Luis for your comprehension and ability to share.

:rant:I don't know why I want to think that it was originally their intentions to understand before using, but I am starting to get it dispite my stubborn thinking. It is starting to make sense to me because of what Hilary said, and from personal experience, because I myself use the I Ching daily but do not yet understand it. ( and who actually fully understands it? )

... what is 'using as an oracle' if not 'using to understand'?

A really good way to understand something - To participate.
Same can go for a lot of things, like love or a game of cards.

In the beginning, when there were more than one "Yi", they were all divination manuals.

Different types with similar ideas? Or same book with many copies?
It must have been much different for them back then to reproduce a copy. "Bust out the chisel and go hunt some turtles! We need another copy!" :p

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb here and say this :confused: :D that when the original ideas of the Yi were verbally passed around and formulated, they were more than likely trying to gain an understanding of what is around them, not create an oracle.

.. But I would like to think that their original intentions were to understand nature, which, yes, would soon be followed by, and include, casting.
I think they did know a lot about nature. They were in it day and night, everything happened right around them. It is like visiting an old Indian who tells you all kinds of wise things about nature. He knows from experience, and the experience of his elders and ancestors. He doesn't know everything though, cannot tell the future. So having an oracle would be a great addition. Where should we go hunting – South or North? Some say South, others North. So they flip a coin, head – ah, North. Or whatever else you can cast. And in the North they find lots of game. Every time the oracle is right, they add it. "When we got this line, we found game in the North". Or the opposite, "when we got this line, going North was useless".

Well, this is how I think an oracle comes into being. They didn't flip coins of course, they asked the spirits and tried to find a way to get an answer, and to understand it. Reading entrails, the flight of birds, there are many ways to ask.

When you ask the spirits in this way, you get answers you could not have found yourself. Universe seems to have ways we cannot understand. So the combination of experience and this mysterious way of universe creates a wisdom which goes farther than a person could have devised. A line of a hexagram does carry wisdom, like the old Indian is wise, but only when you ask the spirits, you get this special combination.

Reaction score
I think they did know a lot about nature. They were in it day and night, everything happened right around them. It is like visiting an old Indian who tells you all kinds of wise things about nature. He knows from experience, and the experience of his elders and ancestors. He doesn't know everything though, cannot tell the future. So having an oracle would be a great addition. Where should we go hunting – South or North? Some say South, others North. So they flip a coin, head – ah, North. Or whatever else you can cast. And in the North they find lots of game. Every time the oracle is right, they add it. "When we got this line, we found game in the North". Or the opposite, "when we got this line, going North was useless".

Well, this is how I think an oracle comes into being. They didn't flip coins of course, they asked the spirits and tried to find a way to get an answer, and to understand it. Reading entrails, the flight of birds, there are many ways to ask.

When you ask the spirits in this way, you get answers you could not have found yourself. Universe seems to have ways we cannot understand. So the combination of experience and this mysterious way of universe creates a wisdom which goes farther than a person could have devised. A line of a hexagram does carry wisdom, like the old Indian is wise, but only when you ask the spirits, you get this special combination.

What a good way of putting it. Thanks LiSe. I appreciate your comment and also your wonderful website.

"Asking" and "Understanding" go hand in hand. They are but different sides of the same coin :)

Even when I was much younger and didn't even understand what an oracle was, I would do little experiments. I remember sitting in my babysitter's car. We were going to get food. I told myself at the stop light, if the light turns green before I count to 5, then I will get a taco. :D It did not turn before 5, and I did not get a taco. I was talking to the spirits and I didn't even know it :) This thread is not necessarily clearing up my curiousity about Lofting's book, but it is most certainly forming an amazing picture of the beginning of the Yi AND the relationship between casting and understanding. I am starting to understand better... I think I might inquire the oracle for a better understanding :D :bows:

Last edited:

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Different types with similar ideas? Or same book with many copies? It must have been much different for them back then to reproduce a copy. "Bust out the chisel and go hunt some turtles! We need another copy!" :p

Similar types with similar purposes. Traditionally, there were three Yi (San Yi, 三易), each attributed to a different early Chinese dynasty:

• The Lianshan, attributed to the Xia dynasty.
  • The Gui Cang, attributed to the Shang dynasty.
  • The Zhou Yi, attributed to the Zhou dynasty.

The first one is almost completely lost; for the second, quite a few fragments remain; the Zhou Yi, well, you know about it...

Reaction score
Similar types with similar purposes. Traditionally, there were three Yi (San Yi, 三易), each attributed to a different early Chinese dynasty:

• The Lianshan, attributed to the Xia dynasty.
  • The Gui Cang, attributed to the Shang dynasty.
  • The Zhou Yi, attributed to the Zhou dynasty.

The first one is almost completely lost; for the second, quite a few fragments remain; the Zhou Yi, well, you know about it...

....only starting to ;)
thanks for the info

russell

visitor
Reaction score
Theses for the Wittenberg door:

The Zhouyi is an oracle, not a manual for gentlemanly behavior.

It predates both Taoism and Confucianism.

The wings are merely distracting Confucian commentary.

The hexagram and line statements were originally records or descriptions of historical, mythological, or natural events, interpreted as omens and subsequently used as oracles.

The trigrams were invented after the hexagrams.

The King Wen sequence has no unique significance.

Ancient readings probably consisted of just one line, or the hexagram statement.

Ancient readings were often done in multiple pairs.

Two sources for this kind of thinking are Marshall, The Mandate of Heaven, and Rutt, Zhouyi.

For example, hexagram 55:3, “Feng [the old capital of the Zhou] was so obscured that the polestars were visible at midday” occurred during the solar eclipse of June 20, 1070 BC, that launched the conquest of Shang by the Zhou. And Wu carried the corpse of his father Wen into battle against the Shang; hence Hexagram 7:3, “The army carries a corpse.”

—Russell

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Russell, do you want to nail your thesis onto a new thread? Give us plenty of room to scribble in the margins? ;)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Theses for the Wittenberg door:

The hexagram and line statements were originally records or descriptions of historical, mythological, or natural events, interpreted as omens and subsequently used as oracles.

Ancient readings probably consisted of just one line, or the hexagram statement.

Two sources for this kind of thinking are Marshall, The Mandate of Heaven, and Rutt, Zhouyi.

For example, hexagram 55:3, “Feng [the old capital of the Zhou] was so obscured that the polestars were visible at midday” occurred during the solar eclipse of June 20, 1070 BC, that launched the conquest of Shang by the Zhou. And Wu carried the corpse of his father Wen into battle against the Shang; hence Hexagram 7:3, “The army carries a corpse.”

—Russell

Russell, except for the fifth and ninth theses, your theses are uniformly mistaken. I have used the scholarship of both Marshall and Rutt, but neither understands what they are dealing with.The Zhouyi is the product of two minds and no one else. It is not an accretion as you assume in thesis 4.

I'd bet my life that this is a mistake, though I have yet to meet a soul who would take me seriously. The King Wen sequence has a single gestalt. I found it, I use it, and I reverence the mind that created it.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Russell:

I believe that the ZhouYi was a professional manual for use of diviners, that's why it was saved to be burn during the Qing Dynasty, like another technical books on agriculture, offices, medicine, bedchambers arts and the like. No sure, must check the list. Of course, it was not a book of philosophy but no without wisdom.

It predates Confucius but schools and tendencies have long roots.

Confucianism intented to resignify the words and the sense of the book. But I believe that among the wings stuff there are 1) student notes, 2) much earlier remnants of oral tradition.

Some stories often fragmentary permeate the book, but the Zhouyi is not a book of history but a practical book made of many power words, folk stories and poetry, oral formulas, professional speech and many fragments of diverse nature put together at the service of an hidden sense available only to the addressed public but partially to all the people.

I believe that the trigrams belonged to prehistoric practices of divination when there was yet any book. The old pratitioners were illiterate and were maybe desdained by the scribes that edited the book.

I like all sort of mathematical sequences. Not all the learned people were philosophers, numbers were prior to script and belonged to an hidden science.

Ancient readings were maybe too simple but evolved with the sophistication of consultants. Maybe the resultant hexagram was a Han invention.

People always used to ask an ask until an acceptable result was got. Are you speaking of consults type: «it will rain? it will not rain?»

—Russell

I love Steve's book and respect Rutt's. Not sure if the second is usable for divination. But I don't trust in historical vignettes. But of course, the book can be read in reference with different contexts. I believe that when R.Smith said that the Changes was a mirror of the mid he doesn't lack of reason.

All the best,

Charly

Last edited:

charly

visitor
Reaction score
I´m wondering if Russell dis post the thesis as a way for paying tribute to the rationalism of Chris.

Charly

Dushan

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everybody, new member here! :)

I spent like half the night reading about Chris Lofting's system... from what I managed to comprehend by the shared experiences and speculation here, I think he may be onto something (there's a notion congealing in my mind, hmmm). So I'm very, very curious to find out more.

Regrettably, his website (the emotionaliching.com one) seems to be either down, non-existent (any more) or simply blocked for me... not sure. His books I found on Amazon, but they're both too expensive for me (developing country citizen here ahoy), and they're not available for Kindle (at which point I would've maybe thought about buying them nevertheless).

So... what gives? Any updates on his system? Notes? A website, blog, anything? I was really looking forward to using his EIC, seems very intuitive to me -- when I first read the questions (screenshot by someone else before the site went down) I immediately grasped what each was connoting, and so...

Well, I sure hope that people will notice my post. Since the last one was 2 years ago, 2012... :)

Many thanks in advance, fellow seekers. ;)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).