...life can be translucent

Menu

staying or going

soma

visitor
Reaction score
I'm facing a predicament. I'm an immigrant living in the same country for 7 years now. Long story short -- I may be able to stay for another 2 years, but it looks like I'll have to definitely leave after that due to immigration laws. I won't go back to my home country and can't stop thinking about the best way forward. I would like to stay if I can, but am not desperate to do so, and am gradually looking for opportunities in other countries where I could live. I don't have any special qualifications (like a doctor or something) that makes me welcome anywhere, so have to think hard about where I could go.

Its unsettling to say the least, and its been an ongoing saga where I am not able to grow roots or plan ahead. I asked Yi for guidance.

What if I aim to stay here? (can't think of a rational way to do this but who knows what might happen in 2 years!) I got 14.3.6 > 54

What if I started planning to move elsewhere in 2 years time? 36.4 > 55

I have started considering relating hexagrams as my current atttitude or position. In this sense the Marrying Maiden fits - I don't have a right to stay and have to accept a subordinate place where I can't do what I want. But Great Possession? I can't see lots of potential here. Is it saying that if I value myself and my work then things will unfold in helpful ways? Is it that I am too concerned with my survival to see better possibilities?

And planning to leave -- there is certainly and Abundance of choices. Brightness Hidden could be talking about not being in touch my feelings and what I really want. Maybe this is saying that my fear of having to leave is more about my older, deeper wounds.

I can't see how any of this relates to the decision I need to make. It seems to me that aiming to stay is a more growthful option but I am not sure, and anyhow I can't imagine how I could stay.

Can you help me understand this?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What if I aim to stay here?
14.3.6 > 54

Could you apply for citizenship in the country where you now live? 54 suggests to me a change of citizenship. Your work record (Great Possession) proves you to be a responsible resident.

Reaction score
Hello, Soma:)... That is certainly a tough spot to be in. But, 54 is not so bad, and it is not permanent. 14.3.6 suggests it might be worth your while to stick it out here. Funny, line 3 shows someone giving their gifts to the the lord and 6 describes help and protection from heaven. Could mean you would literally be living on a prayer here, but do show the potential for some divine intervention so to speak. Could also be that you have something to offer that you are not considering (line 3)... Like Pocossin said. Good work record, perhaps you are capable of doing some volunteer work this country would value, etc. Could be... Line 6 is considered an auspicious line. I usually expel a sigh of relief when I get that one. 36>55 sounds like a lot of unkowns... Both hexagrams depict an eclipse. Perhaps if you asked about someplace else more specific. Sounds to me like the Yi is saying, "I don't know (36), there are too many choices to sum up into one answer (55). Pick, and ask about one... Good luck! And hope this gives you some ideas:).

Last edited:

soma

visitor
Reaction score
thanks folks. STaying did sound positive to me but its good to get your thoughts on it.

I can't see a way to get citizenship just now, but maybe things will change. Things are fairly good at work, and there are some new work possibilities on the horizon too, with the same organisation I work with now. I do indeed pray about this -- not necessarily to stay, but to find the best way forward. I have moved so much before, I would really like to stay in one place and see what emerges.

I suspect this will be an ongoing story, so if I think of specific other places to go to I will ask Yi again and maybe post here too.

Thank you both!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).