...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagram 8, line 1

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
And here is 8.2 - with an interesting new view on the meaning of 'inside'.

(One of my recent readings is 8.3.4 to 31. Keep them coming, Harmen...)

H

hmesker

Keep them coming, Harmen

Hmmm......no, I think I'll just stop here. Hexagram 8, line 2. Yes, sounds good. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

Actually the '(royal) women' meaning of nei 內 is not a new one, Ritsema already mentions it as one of the meanings. Fot those who want to connect the line text with the hexagram the woman aspect might connect well with the lower trigram.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmmm......no, I think I'll just stop here. Hexagram 8, line 2. Yes, sounds good. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

I think you may have to reach 23.5 before you can say that.
Actually the '(royal) women' meaning of nei 內 is not a new one, Ritsema already mentions it as one of the meanings. For those who want to connect the line text with the hexagram the woman aspect might connect well with the lower trigram.

Huh. It might, at that.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
I think you may have to reach 23.5 before you can say that.
Hi, Hilary:

Of course, in H.23 there are five broken lines (females) hanging fron an unbroken pole atop (only one male). Maybe too much meat for only one dog that soon will be jumping into the nothing, pushed by the lower lines.

But 23.1 speaks of wives and concubines, like stringed fishes, orderly waiting for being «favored» by the only man availabe for them.

H.8 was said to be a metaphor meaning allies or people joining a king, compliant like women from the gyneceum. Here the unbroken line is in the fifth place, the place of the king.

Almost literal, but interpreting Harmen:

8.2:

比之
bi3 zhi1
JOINING THEM
Joining whom? Of course, women.

自內
zi4 nei4
FROM INNER
From the inner quarters, say the gyneceum. Meaning = wives and concubines.
From the inner circle of the queen, say her sisters or cousins granted with her in marriage.(1)
All with the best purposes, the well being of the allied countries, to have secured a heir.

貞吉
zhen1 ji2
OMEN LUCKY
The divination is auspicious.
Maybe there will be a male heir.

There are more possibilities at another lines.

All the best,

Charly
(1) Without kings, in communal context, it might mean marrying women descendants by the female side. The allies were two families interchanging boys or girls, never marrying persons with the same family name which passed by the male line.
See Marcel Granet: Chinese Civilization. The People of th Plains. p. 156 / ...
Available at Google Books:https://books.google.com.ar/books?i...JAhUKNJAKHcf0CngQ6AEIbDAK#v=onepage&q&f=false
Ch.

Ch.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).