...life can be translucent

Menu

38>17

G

goddessliss

Despite my best efforts in life nothing seems to change for me - please advise

I think my question explains what I'm asking about

Hex 38.2.5.6>17

the lines in 38 essentially mean to me that I've rejected other peoples standards and isolated myself - good point and pretty true however lately I've managed to overcome this in a lot of ways and have started to watch and copy(17 Following) others in groups and social situations so that I don't feel so isolated.

Reaction score
Hi, it could be 38 is reflecting back your feeling of estrangement. The lines seem to speak of finding your kin, and like minded companions, even when you feel estranged. You can that way be yourself (not lose your individuality) while being in a group. 17 then advises to follow the Tao, attracting fortune on that basis. I don't know the best answer but do not lose heart.

living iching translation:
Hexagram 38: Estrangement
Statement: Estrangement. In small matters: fortune.
Line 2 comment: Meeting one's master in the lane. No fault.
Line 5 comment: Remorse vanishes. One's kinsmen bite the skin. Going forward: what error?
Line 6 comment: Strange sights: a pig shouldering mud, a cartload of ghosts. One first draws a bow, then lowers it. No raider- a groom. Go. Meet the rain, and with it, fortune.
The image Fire above, lake below: estrangement. The noble one works with others, but remains an individual.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Your point of view will change. Those who now seem like enemies will one day be seen as partners. In my experience this change can take some time, but it is well-nigh inevitable.

G

goddessliss

Thanks loverofknowledge - reflection of me sounds right.

ginnie - thanks for responding I so wish this change would hurry up - my life is so booooring despite all the things I do. :(

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The image I get here is about what to do after falling into the washer machine...which we all do, over and over and...

Hex 38 ~ To become estranged from the Tao is to encounter misfortune:

line 2: You realize that you've been knocked down, but not knocked out ~ the Tao is still with you!
line 5: You climb out, get re-stabilized in the present, and are ready to go forward, again.
line 6: Able to clearly discern foe from friend.

Allowing you once more to follow, 17, the Tao.

So, this is where you want to be before 18 comes rolling around again to take another swing...

Have you seen the movie 'Groundhog Day'?

G

goddessliss

Thanks radiofreewill - nope haven't seen that movie. What's it about?

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"A weatherman finds himself living the same day over and over again."

When you cast on "Despite my best efforts in life nothing seems to change for me", I thought of this movie, because the main character finds himself re-living the same day over and over again ~ which means, for instance, that he steps in the same slush puddle off the sidewalk every single morning...

...until one morning he becomes aware that the shoe he is lifting at that moment is headed for water...and he steps over it instead. From small beginnings like that, he works out his path of best fortune for getting through his patterned day, day after day, trying every strategy from being blatantly manipulative and greedy, to being thoughtful and kind...

...and he so transforms the town he initially loathed into a paradise of good relationships that, once he's freed from having to live the same day over and over again, he...well, he...well, you'll just have to see the movie to find out what happens.

And, it's hilarious, too. To me, this movie is neither consciously spiritual, nor accidentally spiritual, but nevertheless it has resonance with the spiritual path. I think you'd enjoy it!

G

goddessliss

Thanks sounds like the movie I need to see.....right now!! :bows:

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
The Terminal [2004] with Tom Hanks is also a great one, similar theme.

Appreciating things that you can change/use here and now.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
If you need cheering up Ground Hog Day is pretty funny, oldie but a goodie, and if you can relate now would probably make it even funnier

Steve

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).