...life can be translucent

Menu

Changing lines

wanderer

visitor
Reaction score
In reading the introduction to Huang;s translation, which I recently acquired, I cmae across his suggestion on changing lines, He refers to them as the method of Master Yin.

In short they suggest that in virtually all siturations only one changing line be considered. He provides a method for choosing which line to use when more than one line changes. In some situations it is suggested that an unchnaging line be used to decipher the situation.

I have never personally used this method. Since I do not divine much now, I doubt that I will be able to personally make a judgement on this method. So if anyone has an opinion or experience with this method I would appreciate it. It certainly makes great sense in some ways.

madversity

visitor
Reaction score
hi wanderer i wonder how this idea works in with the inner and outer aspects of a situation and the 3 time zones the 3 lines of every tet.

the method u brought up would require a dif philosophy, focusing on other aspects than the ones i know...what is it?

C

candid

Hi Wanderer,

I suppose that eliminating possibilities could help to focus on just one possibility. But that's the only value I could find in the method you've described.

We may desire a single focused answer to our questions, but life is usually messier than that. It often involves more than one perspective or point to consider. Plus there is the matter of options and choices that need consideration before a comprehensive understanding can be reached.

Also, often the multiple changing lines can cook in the pot together, making the answer more like a soup than just the individual ingredients in it.

C

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
"We may desire a single focused answer to our questions, but life is usually messier than that. It often involves more than one perspective or point to consider."

Yeah, this is right on the money. This is one of the questions I've wanted to raise here, except that I haven't wanted to lose friends before I make them LOL.

Let's say you draw more than one changing line in a consultation. How do you interpret it? I see three main possibilities. There are more, but I don't like them.

1 You include the main text in the meaning of each changing line. This is what Karcher does in his latest, and most spectacular, version of the Yi. I love this version, but I don't agree with his inclusion of the main text meaning in the meaning of each changing line. (The reason I don't buy it is because sometimes the Yi repeats the main text, or lines from it, in a changing line (think of 51 and 51.1, for example). Why do this for certain lines if the main text meaning ought to be included in *every* changing line?

2 Let's say you draw two or more changing lines. They can be thought of as relatively independent aspects of the situation. Just as you can have multiple and even conflicting elements in a situation, so you can have lines that moves in different directions - directions that might even seem irreconcilable. Well, life's like that sometimes, right?

3 Let's say you draw two or more changing lines. It's possible to interpret each as a step in a sequence. You often see sequence in the various lines of a gua. Why not see a similar sequence in the reading of what you draw?

Like I said, I don't buy #1. But as for #2 or #3, I consider each as a possibility, and go with what the situation seems to suggest to me.

lenardthefast

visitor
Reaction score
HI Dobro,

IMHO, option three is the correct procedure. At least, its the one I have used and it seems to work for me.

Namaste,
Leonard

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been favoring it recently as well, but like Candid says, life's messy sometimes. I think that sometimes, when I opt for #3, it's because my linear mind wants a nice, neat reading rather than a koan to struggle with.

C

candid

Hi Dobro,

I agree that while the main text holds a particular meaning, the lines, while still referring to the gua, often take on the exact opposite side of that same value. 55 comes immediately to mind.

Conversations with Yi, as with anyone, are rarely altogether linear; they sort of weave through the subject.

IE:
Question:
How is the weather?

Answer:
1) It was freezing here last night.
2) I think the earth is going through big climate changes.
3) I sleep better when its cold though.
4) Spring is around the corner. Hope it hurries.
5) These heating bills are killing me.
6) I give up on the weather here.

Ok, so it?s a silly illustration!
paperbag.gif
Hopefully still makes the point.

C

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom