...life can be translucent

Menu

Just what is the I Ching?

Alwayschanging

visitor
Reaction score
I can't really wrap my head around it. What produces the answers that we receive? Would you say that it conflicts or coincides with any theistic religions? My simplistic (and maybe incorrect?) understanding of Taoism is that we each have a path in life, and the Yi more or less paints a picture of whether or not we are on that path. I've read in some circumstances that the Yi's answers come way by spirits, and I wonder how many here would say they consider this the truth? I can pretty readily say that the oracle has an uncanny knack for shedding light on situations for me, but I would like to better understand the forces behind it. It really perplexes me. I'm at a time in my life where I'm not really sure about what I believe or dont believe, but I do know that the i ching has given me a lot of direction. I've more or less treated it as a head-or-tails decision maker in the past, but if my continued use has lead me to a better sense of spirituality, or something like that, I think that's ideal.

S

svenrus

Not to state how the I works, still I like this picture:
I'm walking on the beach. In whatever state of mind I left behind my footprints. My footsteps is not what I'm focussed on. But I'm sure that, if a genii or a hybrid between Sherlock Holmes and Sigmund Freud arrived to analyze my footprints they would be able to draw quite a lot of conclusions about me, being glad, sad, in a hurry and so on.
Compared to consulting the I whatever medium I use, coins, yarrow, cards You name it, I'm not focussed on the way I threw, count.... I'm more focussed on the reason for my consultation.
But it's me, not anyone else, leaving those footprints in the sand and those six lines.
And the genii analyzing theese patterns is the sages who created the I Ching.

Deep within me is that source for my existence as that same source is who created my parent's, their parent's and so on. I don't think that those spirits of the ancestors is some ghosts swirling around in the air or howling in the caves. They are deep within me. And we carry this holy spirit on to our coming generations.

Sometimes we receives messages hard to grasp through our dreams or in visions from that deep, deep fountain laying latent within us.

Still, not claiming that this is the way I Ching works I still think that it's a hint for the reason.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I can't really wrap my head around it.
Join the club consisting of every one who has ever used it.
There are many things in life we can't wrap our heads around, and probably never will be able to: such as Life itself.
Our heads are for helping us live better, by making better choices.
What produces the answers that we receive?
Heaven knows. (Suggestion, consider that we may not have the capacity to comprehend this, and carry on living.)
Would you say that it conflicts or coincides with any theistic religions?
Religions (created by people) conflict with each other through the actions of people, Some of those people would certainly say it conflicts.
But the intelligent amongst those I've met who call themselves theists have broader minds that can embrace seemingly disparate things as part of the whole. Like a friend of mine who was born into a Jewish family and later studied and underwent Christian rituals, and Buddhist rituals, and Hindu rituals.
He is about Seventy years old now and is kind to people and flirts with young women. He brings the gift of laughter to the world. Why should he be faulted?
My simplistic (and maybe incorrect?) understanding of Taoism...
The I Ching is older than Taoism.
Just as meditation is older than Buddhism.
And Virtue older than Abrahamic culture.
Lots of people these days have a multitude of information from different sources swirling around in their heads.
Try walking across a tight rope to see what gets you across:
Hint, it isn't a swirling head.
(Your will, your intention, your efforts, and every invisible factor like the wind that suddenly assists your balance. They are all important.)
I can pretty readily say that the oracle has an uncanny knack for shedding light on situations for me
Value can be self evident.

I'm at a time in my life where I'm not really sure about what I believe or dont believe
Belief is a strange thing with two meanings.
Believe 1: Holding something to be true.
Believe 2: Accepting something you are told is true.

The very fact that we can somehow thrive amidst 'uncertainty' is pure magic, our words cannot do it justice, some call it divine.

:bows:

S

svenrus

Alwayschanging: If You haven't allready read it I think C.G. Jungs foreword to the english translation (1) of R. Wilhelms I Ching answeres Your question very well:

http://www.iging.com/intro/foreword.htm

1) I Ching or book of changes, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London 1951

Last edited:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It's an old book that you read and interpret.
Half of what you get is in there, put there by the authors.
Half of what you get is in you, structured by your question.
You have to work to get either one of those to come out.

ernobe

visitor
Reaction score
The I-Ching is what comes closest to what in the Holy Quran is called the Archetypical Book, or Mother Book, from which all heavenly scriptures are ultimately derived. So if you are a Christian, a Buddhist, a Hindu or a Moslem, the I Ching will take you to where you would have gone had you explored your own religion fully. And vice-versa.

I started out with Taoism, then found the I-Ching, and now I'm a Baha'i.

likejung

visitor
Reaction score
i ching is a unique , personal mirror. like every mirror is passive,
I am the actor, which determine a question .

So I look in the mirror , I Ching. and my unconscious appears and offers me " already know " response
C. Jung believes that our inconsiste can and is attached to the universal unconscious.
then we get an answer. " I did not have "

1- adequate response
2- or not . You can obtain an answer to a dilemma that is more important to myself
3- when we do a reading for someone else we are united with their unconscious
my admiration and gratitude to Chinese elders who succeed in this wonder

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).