...life can be translucent

Menu

PhD? 9.6 - 5

deepwater

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post although I have been quietly reading behind the scenes for a few years. I would be grateful for feedback.

I am considering a PhD in education. I am interviewing potential supervisors and have found someone with whom to work. My topic is exciting. I am, however, under no illusion that the process will involve anything other than small taming.

My question: How would undertaking this research impact my life? 9.6-5. There are some interesting parallels with rain forthcoming/promised, but the 6th line is confusing. It has misfortune, or trap! ascribed to it bt seems to be no more than a caution that when the research is finished, I can't push through change. Can anyone more experienced advise? Many thanks.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It might just be a simple reminder to keep your life in order as you go through this process.
I wouldn't worry about the warnings unless you get too far ahead of yourself, or outside of the life you're living. This can be a real challenge when you need to dedicate a lot of effort to something that's still distant.

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Well, Lise writes this about the Fan Yao:

"Above 6: Entering the cave. There are unexpected visitors. Three people come. Respect them. The end is auspicious.
The spirit can find what he waits for by shutting itself off from external influences, and by expecting the magical, the unconceivable. Then the miracle can enter, and bring a solution. So if you are at a loss, then just wait. Your mind has many realms you do not even know about."

Embarking on a PhD is like entering a cave (been there, done that) - much of the rest that composes one's life gets put aside, sometimes, indeed, with unexpected consequences.
The advice is sound and I understand it to mean that if you are not sure about this, unless it is something you absolutely have to do for XYZ reason, then go deep within yourself, shut off external influences, and let your mind freely roam, the clear answer will come.

deepwater

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for these wise replies. In the end there were 3 people willing to act as second supervisor but no primary supervisor. Additionally, on reflection, I did not feel it was something I Absolutley Had To Do. Other avenues have opened up which bring revenue, job satisfaction and perhaps most importantly bring human interaction. Thank you for this good steer.

deepwater

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
An update of sorts: I cast this morning 9.6 again as my daily reading. Looking through other posts I come back to the simplicity of the line which is You Have gone as far as you can go for now. Opening to what is coming is wise - pushing forward less so. This was certainly the case with the PhD. I had tried to connect with likeminded academics (eg hex 8) and not had any uptake. I had literally taken it as far as it would go. Opening per 5, I am now starting a consultancy. That said, for now I've done all I can do and must just stretch open to the rain...it will come.

D

diamanda

Deepwater thanks so much for updating your thread! Not many people do, which is utterly frustrating. Looking at older readings on this forum for guidance is an exercise in despair - almost nobody comes back to say what happened. By the way, totally agree with your take on 9.6, nicely phrased.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).