...life can be translucent

Menu

The Essentials of the Yi Jing

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to recommend a book that I just received and that recently came out (Nov/2003). It is called:

The Essentials of the Yi Jing
by Chung Wu, Ph.D.
ISBN 1-55778-827-8

Here is something from the back cover:

The Yi Jing (I Ching or book of Changes) is a classic in Chinese literature that provides a philosophy and also a practical way to anticipate the future by means of divination. Most students of the Yi Jing have focused on one aspect and ignored the other. Historically, advances in classical Chinese culture were made by academics, not by diviners. Modern Chinese scholars study this classic for the wealth of its philosophical thought and literary style in the same manner they study other Confucian classics. In the West, since its introduction in the eighteen century, however, it has aroused more interest as an aid for divination, like Tarot, than as a work of scholarship or philosophy. This book integrates these long separated strands.

Working with the original text and with the historical treatments of the Yi Jing in both Chinese and Western culture, Dr. Wu has translated and annotated this ancient classic for students and serious readers. He corrects past misinterpretations, omissions, and foreign ideas that were introduced to the original text. He provides the reader useful charts and commentaries, making this the most unified, comprehensive, and detailed explanation of the Yi Jing.

Chung Wu was born in China and was privately tutored in the classics of Chinese literature and practiced calligraphy as a young student. Throughout his life he has continued studying Chinese literature. He earned a B.S. in Chemistry at Fukien Christian University in 1941 and a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in 1952. Dr. Wu has published articles on China including in Collier's Encyclopedia.

Mr. Wu was born in 1919.

Luis

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Luis-
Amazon has no sample pages for this.
Would you mind awfully much transcribing a sentence or two of his translation, like 1.0 & 1.1 or 3.0 & 3.1?
This would be much appreciated- I've bought my fill of pigs in a poke.
b

C

cheiron

Hi Luis

Well the Yi Jing seems to recommend it.

Like Mr B ? I have a shelf load of 3 legged Donkeys? Could I further burden you with adding a request for a few lines of his commentary on those lines?

After all I am playing the shadow to Mr B?s bright light ;)

Brad ? This morning I was enjoying your Dao De Jing - #56 to be precise? I read about 4 other ?leading? versions of this? you really caught it beautifully for me? How do I know? ? Your translators version! ? What gifts you give.

http://www.hermetica.info/#LaoziSkipDown

Good greetings to you both

--Kevin

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Brad and Kevin,

Here we go. I'll use 3.0 & 3.1 and some commentaries. I believe that Hex1 is too easy for what you are trying to do. I will transcribe his translation in bold text and his commentaries in italics.

3. Zhun, Distress - Zhun is primordial, pervasive, prosperous, and persevering. The subject should proceed with caution. It will be advantageous to establish marquisates.

Zhun receives the same four attributes as Qian. Unlike Qian, however, Zhun is facing enormous uncertainties. Here are the reasons for its weakness. The hexagram is composed of Zhen confronted by Kan. Zhen (thunder) is characterized by swift motion and Kan (water) symbolizes a big river. To make a swift decision to cross a big river without careful planning entails much risk. Moreover, the pictograph of Zhun depicts a germinating seed pushing its new growth above the ground. It underlies an early frailty. Hence, he who observes this judgment should proceed with caution and try to seek assistance.
At the time this judgment was being written, China was governed by a feudal system headed by a king. The authority of the king relied on the support of the various loyal feudal princes that he appointed. Hence, an extension of the meaning of establishing marquisates is to plant support to strengthen the central government. In the present context, it simply means to seek wise counsels because of the subject's own frailty. For this reason, its literal meaning is too restrictive and we should look for broader implications. As I have pointed out earlier, progress in understanding the Yi Jing has often been made not with literal meaning, but with alternative interpretations.

The Tuan. Zhun connotes distress arising from the first intercourse between Qian and Kun. Taking action in the midst of difficulty requires utmost pervasiveness and perseverance to succeed. Activities of thunder and rain fill the great void. Natural disorder and obscurity prevail. The time is right to establish marquisates, but unsettling will continue.

The Tuan is Confucius's elaboration of King Wen's judgment. We can readily undestand the meaning of the first sentence if we remember Section 10, especially Figure 21, in Chapter III. Zhen, which is the inner trigram of Zhun, symbolizes the eldest son of Qian and Kun. In hexagram Zhun, Zhen is under Kan, which denotes danger. Thus, the activity of Zhen in under constraint. Under these conditions, a person should not attempt to do too much. With proper attitude, he may succeed in a moderate way. The reason for all this is that the hexagram is inherently weak.

The Xiang. Clouds and thunder form hexagram Zhun. Thus the Jun zi plans and organizes.

the Xiang paints a picture of the overcast sky with clouds (Kan) and thunder (Zhen), suggesting a situation of apprehension and uncertainty. This is no difference from "natural disorder and obscurity" noted in the Tuan. The jun zi, who has the ability and desire to counsel, would bring order to the chaotic situation.

First Nine. There is a formidable obstruction to advance. It will be advantageous, however, to remain persevering. It will be advantageous also to establish marquisates.
The Xiang. Although he is under constraint, he has set his goal correctly. Like a noble man serving the common people, he will receive their support.

The first yao is properly occupied by yang. But the three overwhelming yin yao above impose a severe constraint on the yang's activity. Nevertheless, if the subject can remain firm and correct, he will overcome.
In the Xiang, the nobleman refers to the first nine, which is the principal yao of the lower trigram Zhen. (For a discussion of the principal yao of the trigrams, see section 10 of Chapter III.) His position is under the three yin yao, the common people. Anyone who can be humble enough to serve under the common people should win the hearts of the mass. We recall a saying by Lao Zi: "He who plans well cannot be uprooted."

There you have it. I hope you'll find it interesting and compelling. Please forgive any typos you may find...
happy.gif

All the best,

Luis

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Luis-
Thank you for this extra effort.
It looks to be worth acquiring, and so far seems reasonably true to the Chinese and the spirit of the text. He still adds a few (fairly confucian) ideas in the translation itself, and inserts extra pronouns and such. Generally seems to have a pretty good understanding.
brad

C

cheiron

Thanks Luis

I like the way he deals with the trigrams and lines as well as his commentary.

Appreciate you going to that trouble.

Now to find the space for it
happy.gif

Thanks

--Kevin

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You are welcome guys!

Regarding his use of Confucian ideas and extra pronouns I think it has to do with the fact that the book is for a Western market. Some sacrifice on behalf of mass legibility must be conceded.

Other than that I find the book very interesting.

Luis

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Luis-
I got it ordered. Maybe more comments to come in a few weeks. Powell's has it new on sale for US$19.95.
Here's an example of what you can miss though (this is his furthest example from literal):
"There is a formidable obstruction to advance."
is just two words: Pan Huan, cliffs all around, or surrounded by crags, or large rocks encircling. With the literal image you can also learn the the way out is to be patient and follow the dao of water (03.1x, "respect the lowly and basic" also picked up by Laozi, as indicated by 03.1 zhi gua 08, water over earth).

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, very interesting indeed.

Now, in reading your message above, I just realized that we must consider that Western people studying the Yi for a decent length of time have trained their minds to see things in a more pictographic way than normal. Even those who cannot read the language, such as myself. Which is the reason we tend to grow impatient when we find translations that force legibility over content. For example, I have no problem interpreting your quote above. However, I wonder how many beginners end up scratching their heads if presented with it on their first approach to the Yi.

On the other hand, nobody ever claimed that the Yi is an easy subject to study...
happy.gif

BTW, I'm getting pissed with Amazon. Whatever happened with discounted book prices? I'll definitely start looking back at Powell's.

L

C

cheiron

Hi Luis

I have now got it orderred.... thanks

Re. Amazon - Here in the UK the big sharks are the second hand booksellers selling through Amazon... I recently bought an out of print book on Analytic Psychology for about $100. When I got it I realised it was a silly price and challenged the seller - I got an immediate 50% rebate...

In future I intend to find the seller from their name (Google)and negotiate...

--Kevin

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Luis-
RE:
"Even those who cannot read the language, such as myself. Which is the reason we tend to grow impatient when we find translations that force legibility over content."

The Chinese is so damn rich and non-linear, it has to take lifetimes. You can bet the authors were undestanding the text in Chinese, not reading translations, and pondering in many dimensions.
I find my best isights come from trying to get inside the sensuous aspect of the images and live inside each little puzzle.
In the case of 3.1, I imagine being lost or trapped in the little valley, but realize that if there were no way out it would be a lake. There's a tiny walled valley in northern New Mexico that I can often picture here. So I take a deep breath and start looking around. Maybe get humble and "appoint helpers" by asking directions. Maybe look for water to lead me. Maybe I admit a temporary defeat and go back the way I came in, if that's the only way out. With all these ways the metaphor can go, not all will be precisely right, but one reading is bound to fit my question. And this is certainly more fun than having some author tell me "well, this line means ....."
b

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Luis & all
Finally received the Chung Wu book.
Now that I see it I think I would recommend it for a "top 50" collection, athough I would not for a "top 20". I have maybe 150. Comfortably above average. I will definitely read it all for the occasional great insight. Maybe for now I'd put it on a level with Alfred Huang or Henry Wei.
His insights are inconsistent - very good in places, passable in most, but I wouldn't take anything on faith without checking other translations. He misses the point as often as anyone else on my B list.
I'm pretty sure he knows Chinese, though I suspect he has a big problem with the old grammar, so that he sometimes has to depart from proper word meanings to fit certain grammatical misnderstandings. Like most, he ignores the Chinese particles instead of taking the time to understand them. His translations add a lot of extra stuff, sometimes just to get full, fluffy English sentences with unnecessary masculine pronouns as subjects.
b

C

cheiron

Good morning Brad

Thanks for your review... I value your opinion.

Mine is still in the post
sad.gif

What are your top three?

Thanks

--Kevin

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Kevin -
Desert island question?
1) The Kunst dissertation (even though he's a modernist, and it's Zhouyi only)
2) Richard Lynn's Wang Bi version
3) ZD Sung's bilingual Legge/Chinese
If I couldn't take my own I'd take the R/K (for the concordance, not the translation).
If I had to choose between my own I'd take the Matrix, not the Simple one.
b

C

cheiron

Hi Brad ? Thanks

I like Richard Lynn a lot too? anything else I would say now would be sycophantic? chuckles?

But that Matrix is a pretty powerful tool? A great gift?

The good news is we are not sending you to the island just yet?

Thanks

--Kevin

ryder

visitor
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Richard Kunst? It's rather unusual to write a seminal dissertation (most are rubbish) and then disappear from sight. If he's still alive, I wonder if he still thinks about the Yi?

Ryder

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your review of the book. I like myself and, although I lack the Chinese knowledge you have, I agree with you that the book has some inconsistencies. Not all that bad though, IMHO. I like the chart on page xlviii with the parallelism and complementarity of all 64 hexagrams. Very handy for beginners, I believe.

BTW, I have a couple of copies of Z.D . Sung's book and I like it a lot. Hard to find a few years ago. Nowadays I'm sure it can be found at ABE or Alibris with little problem. Kevin may remember that a few weeks ago I quoted to him from that book about Hex64.

L

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
RE: The Text of Yi King and Its Appendixes
by Z. D. Sung
The Chinese text is very reliable (just a couple of problems that I note in my own version). The translation is Legge's.
Sun Publishing has been promising to reprint this (for US$32) for more than three yeas now, but so far all it's been is empty promises. They're seeming awfully flaky by now.
ABE has 5 copies from $25-50, and also several copies of his smaller "Symbols" which has lots of stuff to please the folks on the 6x6 cube thread.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Brad, I should send you a bottle of wine or something. I've been on the lookout for the "Symbols" book for quite a while and haven't checked ABE on it for about two years.

My fault for not being a little more organized with my wish lists.

Thank you!

L

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
dead of winter here
flower petals crash to the floor
the mouse stomps around

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Nice Brad!
Is that from a part of the book I haven't got to yet (I'm a slow reader...) or are you trying your hand at Haiku?

L

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
I wanted to write a haiku for this great rare silence here.
Basho did a wonderful one for summertime:

This quietness
The shrilling of cicadas
Stabs into the rocks

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
ume ga ka ni
notto hi no deru
yama-ji kana

Aroma del ciruelo,
y de pronto el sol sale:
senda del monte.

BASHO

yonathan

visitor
Reaction score
I am new at this web... but I must begin and if this is the wrong place I ask an immediately and big sorry. Anyway, I have began studying the I Ching almost 41 years ago. My father have gived me a book - in german -, of James Legge with essays of Karl Yung. Today, that I am 52 years old, I think in the words of Confucius « if I can get more 50 years alive I shall dedicate only to the I Ching... » Really, I do not need more 50 years, maybe more one hundred.
I was 11 years and I began reading this book slowly... realy slowly... drinking each word and obderving the Binary mathematical situation that the book presents me like the Combinatory implied there.
So I have decided to use the staks for deep meditation and the coins to complet any lake of understanding.
But when I was reading the book I noticed that Legge reports the five partitions of the staks like a loosed system. I was not so superfitial to thing « ok; if the ancient have loosed the system what can I do... », anyway I have decided to pass over that.
So, I was using the obtained hexagrama like a yantra and the pronunciation like a mantram and one day - looks to me even today, after five minutes of "inconsciousness" -, six hours after I "wake up" with the system of the five partitions. Until today I have not spoke about this with anybody but today... During all these years I have used this systems and he never have failled.
So, my question is: Is there anybody who have happened the same, or anybody who are inside of this way?
I never have used the I Ching like a fortune teller; I allways have used it like a Bible together with the documents of the Tao.

Enough!
Yonathan

C

cheiron

Welcome Yonathan

Seems like a realy good way to use the I Ching to me.

Happy birthday!

Can you say more about the system of the five partitions?

I am listennig eagerly!

--Kevin

yonathan

visitor
Reaction score
Like I have said « I am new here... » and to present the system I must prepare a space to make pictures of the maps amd I don't know how to do it in these space... If You can give me some explanation I shall present imediatly, but if images are not possible I must prepare a way of simply and clear presentation.

Gratfull for Your atention
Yonathan

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Yonathon, and welcome,

You can certainly upload images: see the 'formatting' link in the LH menu for how. But please optimise your images for the web first: make sure they are narrow enough to fit on a page at 800x600, and reduce the file size as much as you can.

If that's all gibberish to you, please say so, and some helpful person is sure to step in to help you out!

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
P.S. A pianist! Great! What a shame no-one has invented a way to play chamber music over the net...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).