...life can be translucent

Menu

Is I Ching a Wrong Focus for Spiritual growth?

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
I just asked the question:

Does too much I-Ching-ing damage one's capacity for focus on higher dimensions/pathless path?

The response I received was HEXAGRAM 27 NOURISHMENT unchanging.

I am wondering how others might understand this answer?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It's saying "well what do you think ?".

When you choose what to eat for yourself it's your choice. Some people may say "this kind of food is healthy...eat this food" and others may say "no eat this food it's better", but only you know what food suits your body. That's what your answer is saying.

I've said before if you are mentally unwell and using I Ching stresses you then STOP using it. You can go back to it later.

For some people sometimes I Ching of course may foster spiritual growth (whatever that is....and if you are unwell that is your priority,,,,never mind spiritual growth)

This answer is for you. No answer is general or can be generalised to everyone although 27uc seems spot on here.

Oranges may be good for many people but for some people oranges give them bad guts. Simple, only eat oranges if they agree with you !

The way you are talking on other threads I think it's time you gave Yi a break. That is just my opinion.

Sounds to me like you need less head action and more body action.

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
It's saying "well what do you think ?".

When you choose what to eat for yourself it's your choice. Some people may say "this kind of food is healthy...eat this food" and others may say "no eat this food it's better", but only you know what food suits your body. That's what your answer is saying.

I've said before if you are mentally unwell and using I Ching stresses you then STOP using it. You can go back to it later.

For some people sometimes I Ching of course may foster spiritual growth (whatever that is....and if you are unwell that is your priority,,,,never mind spiritual growth)

This answer is for you. No answer is general or can be generalised to everyone although 27uc seems spot on here.

Oranges may be good for many people but for some people oranges give them bad guts. Simple, only eat oranges if they agree with you !

The way you are talking on other threads I think it's time you gave Yi a break. That is just my opinion.

Sounds to me like you need less head action and more body action.

Thanks Trojan. You are probably right about giving this a break.
However, the questions I am asking won't go away I don't suppose......! And finding it hard to stop asking the questions is probably my Biggest Problem. Even if I do some relaxation/try meditation....I only get light relief, because the onslaught returns with a vengeance later. I am in the middle of a massive nemesis.

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe put some music on and...........dance, or jig or something..?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
ps. I don't think meditation is good when in these states. Infact it can makes things worse.

When mentally unwell I would say cleaning your cupboards and going for a walk is better than meditation.

Guru Trojan

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The Yijing is for character and ethical development, not for new age doo-doo.
Gua 27 speaks in a couple of places about trying to nourish yourself with drivel.
You can tell indirectly because the angel or spirit talk doesn't make your life any
better in reality, while you wonder why you remain in confusion.
Start with character, and with who you are in this world.

Last edited:

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
The Yijing is for character and ethical development, not for new age doo-doo.
Gua 27 speaks in a couple of places about trying to nourish yourself with drivel.
You can tell indirectly because the angel or spirit talk doesn't make your life any
better in reality, while you wonder why you remain in confusion.
Start with character, and with who you are in this world.

Not sure what New age doo doo is.... I am certainly not in to new age doo, Bradford. Think you've got wrong end of stick.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I was referring to these lines:

Forsaking your spirit tortoise*
Looking at me with hungry mouth hanging open
Disappointing

Subverted appetites
Dismissing the customary,
Going into the hills hungering
Going boldly into failure

Dismissing the appetites
Persistence has pitfalls
For ten years not to be functional
Is not a direction with merit

Although you got 27 unchanging, one doesn't understand the core meaning of a gua until all six lines can be understood in terms of this core (and conversely, you don't understand a line text until you can see it as an expression of the overall gua meaning).

The Yi seems to be advocating substantial nourishment that addresses real needs and hungers. Most of Western new age spirituality, by contrast is vacuous escapism, self-delusion and and narcissism. If it was real it would be giving you real guidance and solutions to the problems and complexities in your life, even the least of the day-to-day stuff. Your "pathless path" does not seem to be offering that guidance.

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
I was referring to these lines:

Forsaking your spirit tortoise*
Looking at me with hungry mouth hanging open
Disappointing

Subverted appetites
Dismissing the customary,
Going into the hills hungering
Going boldly into failure

Dismissing the appetites
Persistence has pitfalls
For ten years not to be functional
Is not a direction with merit

Although you got 27 unchanging, one doesn't understand the core meaning of a gua until all six lines can be understood in terms of this core (and conversely, you don't understand a line text until you can see it as an expression of the overall gua meaning).

The Yi seems to be advocating substantial nourishment that addresses real needs and hungers. Most of Western new age spirituality, by contrast is vacuous escapism, self-delusion and and narcissism. If it was real it would be giving you real guidance and solutions to the problems and complexities in your life, even the least of the day-to-day stuff. Your "pathless path" does not seem to be offering that guidance.

Hi Bradford,

Respect your work.

Thanks for your post and for going through the lines. Yes I hadn't really taken on board how even in an unchanging Hex, each line is worth a study.

However...There seems to be basic misunderstanding here. Surely Taoist means 'pathless', because you are not following a pre-set way but finding your own way bit by bit. The path is very much for the individual to find for themselves. This is not New Age at all, but the core of Taoism?
There is a point when the 'self' disappears, when the SELF becomes all that is real. Real so-called spiritual development moves in that very direction.................It is when we become 'nothing' that we can truly become who we really are?
There is nothing aery faery about that at all.
The images in the I Ching take us on a journey but they are not the end of that journey because eventually we must seek to move beyond them?
Why do you see this as New Age?

I don't know why you think I am a new ager on the basis of this-- because that is certainly not the case.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
A quick thought- too much of anything is just too much. So if you think you are leaning or ab(using) or whatever IC, than you probably need to take a break. It is as simple as that.
From personal experience, first book on the subject I had was not an original IC but I was in the different place of mind than now and its self-referal points of view certainly helped me to endure what I had to go through easier and take the higher ground. Any wise book can only help broaden your mind, IMO.

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
A quick thought- too much of anything is just too much. So if you think you are leaning or ab(using) or whatever IC, than you probably need to take a break. It is as simple as that.
From personal experience, first book on the subject I had was not an original IC but I was in the different place of mind than now and its self-referal points of view certainly helped me to endure what I had to go through easier and take the higher ground. Any wise book can only help broaden your mind, IMO.

The questions I ask are not necessarily those which are bugging me right this moment but are questions that repeatedly occur and reflect a genuine search for truth.

I don't remember 'abuse' coming up in relation to my cogitations!

No, I am just asking questions that have occurred to me and that I think are important ones. I am not criticising the I Ching, I am simply expressing an openness to explore these kind of issues.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Surely Taoist means 'pathless', because you are not following a pre-set way but finding your own way bit by bit. The path is very much for the individual to find for themselves. This is not New Age at all, but the core of Taoism?
There is a point when the 'self' disappears, when the SELF becomes all that is real. Real so-called spiritual development moves in that very direction.................It is when we become 'nothing' that we can truly become who we really are?
Why do you see this as New Age?

This has nothing to do with Daoism, at least not the Dao that Laozi and Zhuangzi are referring to. This is a view of Dao that has been mangled first by religious Daoism (Daojiao) and then by Western "culture." Dao means "path," plain and simple, the way things move and evolve in the real world. It does not mean "pathless path." To twist it around like this is just what the new agers do when, for instance, they see Jung's "collective unconscious" and insist on interpreting it as "universal consciousness."

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Daoism, at least not the Dao that Laozi and Zhuangzi are referring to. This is a view of Dao that has been mangled first by religious Daoism (Daojiao) and then by Western "culture." Dao means "path," plain and simple, the way things move and evolve in the real world. It does not mean "pathless path." To twist it around like this is just what the new agers do when, for instance, they see Jung's "collective unconscious" and insist on interpreting it as "universal consciousness."

hi again, Bradford!

I think there is real misunderstanding going on between us here....I am not sure yet why, but that is my impression. It might help me to clarify if you tell me what is your view of Osho's teaching? Do you see his stuff as New Age? Because I have a strong sense that my way of seeing is very much in line with his?

Btw, you did not mention the other lines of Hex 27---any reason for this omission? Surely in an unchanging Hex, all the lines are relevant?

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
The questions I ask are not necessarily those which are bugging me right this moment but are questions that repeatedly occur and reflect a genuine search for truth.
As long as you are not searching within IC alone......:bounce:

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
No 'collective unconscious' is below 'universal consciousness'; it is of the collective. So that is not my understanding at all. Universal Consciousness refers to what is known by Hindus etc as Supreme Self. Not the same at all....... No, I think our communication has gone awry!

TygerChild

visitor
Reaction score
You mean here on my own in my flat, or only in this I Ching book or am I reading Eckhart Tolle and Osho and others, and going for walks in the park and..and scrubbing my dog? :rofl:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).