...life can be translucent

Menu

Books that have inspired you

B

blue_angel

I am not sure if this thread already exists, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can add books they have read that have inspired them. Whether the books gave good insights and encouraged your growth or the books promoted self healing and empowered you. Perhaps through sharing these books we will encourage ourselves to continue to grow and support each other through that growth. I will start with a few books that have inspired me on my journey.

1. Oh The Places You Will Go by Dr. Seuss

Yes, this a children's book, one I have read to my own children, but I feel the book is so inspiring and self empowering, encouraging growth for anyone who chooses to read it.

2. Change Your Thoughts, Change Your life by Dr.Wayne Dyer

To get an idea about this book you can watch this seminar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqecaHjl73s

I have found this to be very inspiring and found this during my study and research of The Tao Te Ching.

3. The Miracle Of Being Mindful by Thich Nhat Hanh

This book was a stepping stone for me, as I guess they all are in one way or another. The teaching of the book is to learn how to be in the present moment and be mindful in each moment.

4. The 5 Languages Of Love by Dr. Gary Chapman

I love this book and find it very insightful in how we relate to ourselves and others. Chapman claims in his studies he has found, we each have our own love language. Chapman teaches how to recognize your own love language and the language of other important people in your life. Whether it be your partner, your children, friends, or family members.

5. The Field by Lynn Mc Taggart

I appreciated many points this book makes about how our minds and energetic fields are connected. The part for me that was of particular interest, is when Mc Taggart speaks of the ancestors beliefs, such as the Native Americans.

It is said how one tribe would gather each morning and share their dreams in a gathered circle. They did this because they believed the dreams were not necessarily their own but connected to each other. Another words, I may have a dream tonight that may predict what may happen tomorrow, but that dream may not be for me. It may be for another family member, and vice versa. The book goes on to explain and show different examples of research on the connection of our minds and energy as humanity. Very interesting.

6. The Honeymoon Effect by Bruce H. Lipton Ph.D

This book inspired me on so many levels, in so many different ways. Each one of these books I will list has opened new doors for me. This book however, I feel brought all of the previous books together like puzzle pieces that fit into a greater whole. But with this book I will share some of my own personal experience. Through sharing some of my own intimate experience, I invite you to share your own.

A part of the book, (emphasis on part), because there are many parts. However, a part of the book speaks of how a child the age of 7 and below, downloads information of their environment to help them survive. It is said this information from in the womb to 7, goes into our sub-conscious mind as facts. Like data or programs into a computer. This is partly due to a child before this age not being able to decipher or use discernment. Some of those facts are useful and some are not. The point I got out of it, is to find those facts which no longer help you, and to reprogram those facts.

As an example, of my own... before the age of 7, I believed my family did not love me. My mother in particular. There were nights and days spent locked in a room of which I would cry, rock myself, and repeat "why does she hate me? Why doesn't she love me?"

Now the example Lipton gives is of a little boy before the age of 7, that's father tells him "You are bad." The boy is not able to decipher that dad is just having a bad day, and my current actions have annoyed him further, but in reality he loves me. Rather, the boy downloads as a fact "I am bad", and unworthy of love. Now, the things my own mother told me were much worse, at such a young age I was being called a "b***h", a "motherf****r", a "wh**e". If I had downloaded this as facts, you would see the obvious of why it would be so important to change those beliefs.

Lipton goes in deep psychologically, scientifically, and spiritually. He shows how our conscious minds work as well as our sub conscious minds. How the sub conscious mind can over power the conscious mind and how to bring them together. As an example, you may tell yourself "I am worthy of love". Your conscious mind believes this and this belief comes from your own aspirations and creativity BUT if there is a pre-downloaded program within your sub conscious mind, one that does not agree or believe this to be true, you must find that limiting, negative belief, and reprogram it. Lipton shows how you can not do this by simply stating "I am worthy of love". He shows how our minds are trained by habit. An example he gives is how we learned addition or multiplication. We repeat until memorized. We form a habit. So the idea is to find those hidden, self defeating, beliefs. Recognize them, dissolve them, and reprogram with beliefs that fit with your current reality and aspirations.

I found the book enlightening to say the least.

I hope you will join me here and share the books that have inspired you on your journey.

With love, :hugs:

Blue_Angel

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure if this thread already exists, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can add books they have read that have inspired them.

Maria started this one some time ago

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?18110-bookshelf

...but it was more general, not quite the same as your idea so it's good to have 2 threads on books :D

I can't think of any inspiring books....except this is a book I sometimes use like an Oracle. It is a strange book, I just picked it up in a second hand shop, not really the kind of book I'd generally read....

....and yet
if I am really stuck, unhappy or upset
I open it at random
and it will just open on a page that is helpful to me at that moment

It's not meant to be an oracle but sometimes it has functioned as one.

It is 'The Dragon Doesn't Live Here Anymore' by Alan Cohen

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Mother Goose is the foundation of my life. I taught myself to read by memorizing those poems in early childhood. Somehow I connected the visual appearance of words with their pronunciation and meaning. Everything significant I have achieved in life I owe to Mother Goose. I have never outgrown it. My ethics are Mother Goose ethics: Jack Spratt and his wife: domestic harmony by a couple complementing each other. Little Boy Blue: don't neglect duties. Peas Porridge Hot: the virtue of the ordinary. Hickory Dickory Dock: expect surprising events. Three Blind Mice: misfortune happens when you go blindly.

kincadefoster

visitor
Reaction score
Reinventing yourself, Loving what is, No More Mr Nice Guy, and the most important one Cupids Poisoned Arrow.

B

blue_angel

That's remarkable Pocossin, thank you for sharing. I will have to pick up Mother Goose. The only rhyme I can think of is Jack and Jill, and only half at that. :) If that's even a Mother Goose Rhyme... It is neat that the book holds a special value for you, and how you are able to relate it to life in that way, as a sort of guide. Very creative.

Those are some good books Kincadefoster, for Byron Katie are you aware of this site? http://www.thework.com/index.php I've spent some time with Byron Katie as well, although I have my own favorites. Cool, thanks for sharing.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
My textbooks , currently , and especially the experiments /studies part and stories about those designed them. Between the lines , there are so many sources of inspirations. Not theories or conclusions is what i love but the questions those people ask, the passion to find answers, the acceptance of the limitations they are facing and moreover, the beautiful, imperfect creatures we are.... The wonder of being a human.

Awe-inspiring books that ,imo, help to accept ourselves before venturing towards reformation. I think, or its just the way I read them, is what ancients were focusing onto.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Reinventing yourself, Loving what is, No More Mr Nice Guy, and the most important one Cupids Poisoned Arrow.

I agree - Cupid's Poison Arrow by Marnia Robinson is an extraordinary book. Highly recommend it.

"Zing! Cupid’s arrow skewers a primitive part of the brain. Obediently, we fall in love amid showers of passionate fireworks, bond for a time … and then often get fed up with each other and grow irritable or numb. Perhaps we try to remodel our mate, seek solace online, or pursue a new love interest. Ancient sages recognized this biological snare and hinted at a way to dodge it: use lovemaking to balance one another and harmony arises naturally.

With an entertaining blend of personal experiences, the latest neuroscience, and forgotten insights from around the globe, Cupid’s Poisoned Arrow confronts current assumptions about sex and love and offers a refreshing, practical approach to sexuality."

Actually, I have another book which should appeal to folks who live busy lives - which means most of us. It's called

The Five Tibetans: Five Dynamic Exercises for Health, Energy, and Personal Power

These are a set of originally Tibetan Yoga-type exercises which only take about ten minutes to do every morning. (20 minutes if you are new to such things). I have to say, this isn't marketing hype. They really do work. I have more energy than I've ever had, I feel more balanced and even some of the grey in my sideburns has disappeared - and in just one month! :flirt:

There's some stuff on Kundalini meditation too which is interesting but not necessary to include. (In fact, I wouldn't attempt to do those meditations unless you're with a teacher who can guide you through such a commitment, the stimulated energies of which can be quite explosive, not least the life changes).

Aside from that if you are looking to keep fit and supple while keeping your mind fresh and lucid these exercises can pretty much be done by anyone. Those stomach muscles will be washboard strong in no time! :D

Last edited:
S

sooo

In search of excellence - Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman
One minute manager - Ken Blanchard
Positioning (the battle for your mind) - Ries and Trout
Psycho-cybernetics - Maxwell Maltz
Communion with God - Neale Donald Walsch
Mythos (actually a DVD series) Joseph Campbell
Tibetan book of the dead
Man and his symbols - Carl Jung

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The artist's way by Julia Cameron
Memoirs of a dutiful girl by Simone de Beauvoir

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Dispelling Wetiko: Breaking the Curse of Evil

"There is a contagious psychospiritual disease of the soul, a parasite of the mind, that is currently being acted out en masse on the world stage via a collective psychosis of titanic proportions. This mind-virus—which Native Americans have called "wetiko"—covertly operates through the unconscious blind spots in the human psyche, rendering people oblivious to their own madness and compelling them to act against their own best interests.

Drawing on insights from Jungian psychology, shamanism, alchemy, spiritual wisdom traditions, and personal experience, author Paul Levy shows us that hidden within the venom of wetiko is its own antidote, which once recognized can help us wake up and bring sanity back to our society."

S

sooo

The artist's way by Julia Cameron

Very interesting workbook. If it's the one I'm thinking, it deals a lot with the inner critic, that destroyer of creativity before it even begins. Olga, if you see this, is this a sort of workbook, where you write something every day without judging it?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).