...life can be translucent

Menu

Be careful who you sleep with: Study shows women carry the DNA of sexual partners

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Alanna Ketler
Collective Evolution

Scientists have discovered that a sizeable minority of women have Y-chromosome gene sequences in their blood. This is interesting because as you may know, Y-chromosomes are the chromosomes that belong to men, so ladies, what are they doing there, and where did they come from?

An obvious answer would be from pregnancy with a male son, every woman who has been pregnant still carries cells from her fetus within her bloodstream. Cells from the pregnancy will reside within the mother's bloodstream and organs for the rest of her life. Even if the pregnancy was terminated or if there was a miscarriage these said genes would remain with the Mother. There is a name for this so-called condition, it is called microchimerism (1), which is named after the Greek chimera, a mythical, monstrous fire-breathing animal that is composed of the parts of three animals a lion, a snake and a goat. Okay so that explains it, well at least it does for the women who have given birth to sons. But what about the women without sons that still had male cells in their bloodstream?

The Study

This called for a study (2) that was done by immunologists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in 2004. In this study they took samples from 120 women who had never had sons. They found that 21% of these women had male DNA. The women were then categorized into 4 groups according to pregnancy history: Group A had only daughters, Group B had had one or more miscarriage(s), Group C had induced abortions and Group D had never been pregnant before. The prevalence of male michrochimerism was considerably greater in Group C although it was still present in each group. Group A 8%, Group B 22%, Group C 57% and Group D 10%.

The conclusions of this study noted that the possible sources of male michrochimerism included, known pregnancies, miscarriages, vanished male twin, or sexual intercourse. This means, that through intercourse alone there is a potential for women to hold onto male genes and DNA within their organs and blood stream for their entire life!

I find this extremely fascinating because a spiritual friend and mentor once told me that every time you sleep with somebody you are taking on a part of them within you. I thought of this as a powerful metaphor, that we were keeping a part of them energetically. Needless to say, it made me reflect on certain things from my past and this whole analogy really made a lot of sense. But, to learn that there is actual scientific proof to back this up and that it is a physical thing, that is more than just energy. The idea that as women we are capable of taking on actual physical DNA from the men that we sleep with, was an extremely eye opening piece of information to stumble across.

This science puts a whole new meaning on sexual intercourse as a whole. It is a very sacred and spiritual act and should be completely regarded as such. A lot of people are misusing sex and have forgotten what it is meant for and how important and consecrated it really is. I know I can speak for many women because as a woman I know what this is like and have had experiences in the past with giving away sex somewhat freely because of insecurity or to please or impress a man without actually even realizing how irresponsible this was. Because at the time, it was just sex, and when you are completely disconnected from yourself, it doesn't seem like it's a big deal. Now being older and more connected to my spiritual self I realize that sex is not something that is meant to be thrown around and given out so freely, it is a sacred act that creates a bond between two people that love and care about each other. It is so important for us (humanity) to realize this. There is a lot of power and amazing potential within this act and it has the complete capability of connecting us with our true selves.

Many of us are holding onto a lot of sexual baggage from our past, it is not my intent to make anyone regret past experiences. Rather, to let go and embrace what the past has taught us and move forward with this knowledge and consider it wisely. With this information I'm sure you will think twice about whom you are ending up in bed with, and at the very least, I'm positive that you'll be sure to use a condom!

Much Love

Sources and further readings:

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(mythology)

(2) http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(05)00270-6/abstract

http://jenapincott.com/do-you-carry-the-dna-of-your-former-lovers/

G

goddessliss

It's a bummer not more people understand the spiritual connection sex brings about. This is why long term partners end up looking like each other because of the DNA that is held from the other partner. - Liss

Wayne59

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
:eek: So much to worry about - food additives, pesticide residues, GMOs - and now contaminant male DNA.

Next they''ll find alien female DNA in both men and women from kissing, sharing a glass, or other intimate exchanges. Or even non-human DNA - from the dog that licked our face, the cat that found the butter uncovered, the mouse that slipped unnoticed into the bag of muesli, the bluebottle on the cheesecake, or god knows how many sentient life-forms we've swallowed along with the organic salad.

Then there is the 90% of the cells in our bodies that are non-human - microflora, friendly and not so friendly bacteria, all busy exchanging DNA with each other and probably with us too - Nature is such a tart.

It's almost as if we don't have a separate biological self, and just speculating here, but if there's anything in sympathetic magic, or the buddhist practice of sharing ones spiritual growth and blessings with all beings, then maybe our DNA entanglements have positive potential for transmitting goodwill to others - including the good, the bad, the ugly, and the non-human - all jewels in Indra's net.

S

sooo

"What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh." 1Cor 6:16

It works both ways. In fact, even social intercourse transmits one to another.

poised

visitor
Reaction score
Perhaps we are sexually attracted to certain people because we NEED some of their DNA. Is that what "Chemistry" is?

S

sooo

Perhaps we are sexually attracted to certain people because we NEED some of their DNA. Is that what "Chemistry" is?

Interesting thought. Sort of fits the 'opposites attract' idea.

B

butterfly spider

I was told at the age of 16 by a female relative that you should never sleep with anyone who you didn't want to share your dreams with. She was convinced that a tiny fragment of
of their soul entered yours. this would stay with you forever. At the time it sounded as a warning not to sleep around - but it was good advise and quite possibly made me more discerning in my choice of partners

I doubt if this lady knew anything about DNA but it is interesting and does make perfect sense. The thought of carrying around someone's bits might put people off entirely
Xx

poised

visitor
Reaction score
DNA for the Soul?

that you should never sleep with anyone who you didn't want to share your dreams with. She was convinced that a tiny fragment of of their soul entered yours. this would stay with you forever.

Your aunt seems very wise. Perhaps sharing dreams, whether waking or sleeping, is what's sometimes called a "soul connection." And could be why breaking up with some people is so difficult -- it takes a very long time to get them out of your system even though your mind is very clear that the relationship has fallen apart and cannot be mended.

G

goddessliss

Your aunt seems very wise. Perhaps sharing dreams, whether waking or sleeping, is what's sometimes called a "soul connection." And could be why breaking up with some people is so difficult -- it takes a very long time to get them out of your system even though your mind is very clear that the relationship has fallen apart and cannot be mended.

So true for me poised. In desperation I went to a couple of alternative healing professionals and they even commented on the strength of our soul connection without me even saying anything about it myself.

There were a couple of times over the space of the first 4 years that his 'soul' energy' came to me once waking me up and it took me a while to work out what was going on.

There's a lot to be said for the truth of our soul's journey here on Earth. - Liss

S

sooo

A significant other comes to represent a hidden aspect of your psyche. I have frequent dreams of my ex, some very bad, some pretty nice, and some just sort of neutral. This was a 32 year marriage, full of serious difficulties, mainly concerning her health, which affected her personality and mental decline in seriously dark ways. I've come to realize that my subconscious is using her image to communicate several aspects of myself, pretty much fundamentals of my anima condition and projection. This, I believe, relates more to influence and self-identification than to actual DNA transference.

poised

visitor
Reaction score
Hold your horses?

I've come to realize that my subconscious is using her image to communicate several aspects of myself, pretty much fundamentals of my anima condition and projection. This, I believe, relates more to influence and self-identification than to actual DNA transference.

Interesting, sooooo. Do you think the animus -- or anima-- influences our mate- selection process in the first place?

Come to think of it, I wouldn't count out DNA. At the end of the day, in my experience, body, mind, and spirit are basically the same. It's all you. Perhaps the challenge is to dwell fully in all three, in balance. Like a well-trained team of horses.

Arjuna?

I found one site that mentions names of Arjuna's horses:
Saibya, Sugriva, Meghapuspa and Balahaka. http://www.dharmakshetra.com/literature/chariot and horses.html

Then looked up those names. Saibya and Meghapuspa are female names, Sugriva and Balahaka are male.

B

butterfly spider

Another little tale from my family-
My Aunty Ethel disliked sleeping on strange beds - so did my Nan and also my mother. Probably more to so with bed bugs (they used to be black and look like upside down wood lice) but...we used to stay in Bed and breakfast - it was our holiday that she paid for. She always took a plastic sheet to put over the mattress and then remade the bed.

Her belief was that when we perspire bits of our body get left behind in the mattress and are then transferred to the new occupant. DNA?

I tend to go camping or sleep in my van - I don't take a sheet but am always rather uncomfortable

Student mattresses - I dread to think what lurked within ...

S

sooo

Interesting, sooooo. Do you think the animus -- or anima-- influences our mate- selection process in the first place?

Sorry, Poised; this slipped by me unnoticed.

Yes, I do. And so did Joseph Campbell. During one of his lectures on the subject he played through a dialogue with his own wife as his example, though I don't think it was an actual conversation, but more of his playful story teller way of demonstrating the point. He says that after the early relationship stage of experiencing his anima projection he realized that these amorous feelings he was experiencing was not actual love, and that, in his words, "I didn't know what I was doing really." At that point, he says, the man has a choice: either say to his wife, "I'm sorry, dear, but I miscalculated and I must leave you to look for my revised anima projection," or he will choose to stay with her for better or worse - and this is called love, or what gradually evolves into love. He distinguishes these two experiences, which I think can be expressed in Yijing terms as h31 and h32.

These days, for a number of reasons, when a couple realizes that this person they've married is not the person they thought they were marrying, or were engaged to, or just shacking with, they think they've fallen out of love, when in fact they never have yet reached that stage of loving, but were still responding to that feeling of being in love with their own anima/animas projection.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).