...life can be translucent

Menu

True Love, Jesus, Laozi and the I Ching

S

svenrus

Hi,

Interesting. I'm a bit curious: Have You made the tags to the hexagrams and the linetexts as well Yourself ?

Example: Your Hex. 56.1.4:

56: Tag is "Search". Line 1: "When one takes a big loss, they must not indulge themself". Line 4: "Defending oneself from others, one is not doing well".

Gregory C. Richter has an onlinetranslation (Here) and from his "word by word" translation i've made a snapshot:

56.jpg

As I find G.C. Richters translation promising and furthermore can see similarities in the more concrete advices of Yours, I mean more brought Up-to-Date I wonder what the source for Your text is ?

T

taoscopy

Thanks for the interest in "my" comments. Here is how I came to them.

Actually I have discovered the I Ching in the late 80s and I have consulted it until the year 2000s. Then I stopped roughly 10 years because there were too many misunderstandings.

In 2010 I returned to it, because I wanted to share my knowledge of the I Ching. And since I am a software developer I decided to make a website and smartphone applications. Originally I wanted my work to be based on Richard Wilhelm's translation, because it was the one I had studied with, and didn't know of the others at the same time, except a few of lesser quality.

So I asked the French and English publishers for the rights to use Richard Wilhelm's work, and in the meantime I wrote my own comments. They were very different from what they are now. I planned to use quotes from songs and movies to illustrate the various lines. I consulted the Yi and asked if it would be acceptable to criticize my work. One of the first things that the Yi told me was to remove the quotes. I was very proud of these quotes, because I thought it was a nice way to illustrate the lines, but I accepted reluctantly.

Then after a month, I was still waiting for the French publisher answer and decided that it was enough and sent the manager and email informing him that I would do the comments myself and won't use Richard Wilhelm's translation. He answered that he had lost my email and could not reply to me.

So, I asked the Yi if it was possible to make comments that would be different from Richard Wilhelm's work because I didn't want to be sued for plagiarism. I asked different names for each of the hexagrams then went on making the comments.

My first intent was to write my own comments and have them validated by the Yi, but it turned out that the Yi never accepted my interpretation of 59.4 which I thought I understood well. So I gave up and let the Yi guide me instead of just asking for validation.

When I asked if I should claim the copyright, the Yi said 28 (abandon the rights), and when I asked if I should let the others modify the text the Yi said 41.6 (others can help), so the text is in the public domain.

For the record here is what the hexagram 1 comments (first and sixth lines) were originally when I wrote them myself:

Code:
                <name>The activity</name>
                <comment>A steadfast commitment is beneficial.</comment>
                <linecomments>
                    <line index="1" comment="Don't act too fast."/>
                    <line index="6" comment="It is time to make a pause and take care of the world around you or else..."/>
                </linecomments>

As you can see it was a clumsy imitation of the original comments. Here are the same comments after being fixed by the Yi:
Code:
                <name>Evolution</name>
                <comment>Changing to obtain quality work.</comment>
                <linecomments>
                <line index="1" comment="One is still too weak to act."/>
                <line index="6" comment="One is getting into troubles."/>

I would not have thought by myself of renaming the Creative into Evolution. Activity seemed to be a safe alternative.

As for the method, I started by writing my own comments, then I selected parts of the text and asked the Yi if that part was correct.

For example if I select "the lazy dog is running" and the Yi answers 55.3 (breaks the right arm) then I would remove the right part: "the lazy dog", and then if the Yi tells me 62.6 then I knew that I went too far and I try "the lazy is running".

Of course it was a very tedious work at the beginning, I had to cast hundreds and hundreds of hexagrams to obtain a single line of text. Now it can go faster since I have improved my technique.

My first intent was to obtain a simpler text, but it's not always the case, sometimes it's more complicated with this version.

Short answer: my source is the I Ching, except a few lines that are still inspired by Richard Wilhelm's work and have not been fixed by the Yi yet.

T

taoscopy

My work is not a translation. Except if you consider the translation from French to English, which makes the English text less accurate, since I am not a native English speaker.

Sometimes the comments are *very* different from the classical comments.

For example:

29.3:

Others notice what one has wasted, thus one leaves.

Forward and backward, abyss on abyss.
In danger like this, pause at first and wait,
Otherwise you will fall into a pit in the abyss.
Do not act this way.

13.1:

One was lost, but will join later.

Fellowship with men at the gate.
No blame.

and 56.5:

One prepares alternatives if necessary.

He shoots a pheasant.
It drops with the first arrow.
In the end this brings both praise and office.

Now I invite you to compare these comments with samples taken from this forum Shared Readings sections and verify how well they answer the questions.

S

svenrus

No, I see. Kerson and Rosemary Huang got the advices of theirs aside the translation of the received text.

(Get it here)

Example:

The text:

56 a.jpg

Their advice:

56b.jpg

T

taoscopy

For 56.5 they say that the quest for the pheasant used valuable resources and failed. It's an interesting take. Because 56.5 is often about a newcomer who spots an error, and gets hired. So someone has done a lot of work and the newcomer comes and spots a flaw. But then they say that the person who fails gets admiration when it is usually the newcomer who spotted the flaw.

The problem with interpreting lines is that they are very flexible. I just asked the Yi why 56.5 was about alternatives, the answer was 5.3 (which i interpret as hiring the newcomer before she or he leaves). So, we have two persons, the one who did the task, and the other who spotted the flaw. The person who did the task may need the newcomer's help again so the newcomer is praised and eventually offered a job.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
True Love

Well, What is true love? In my opinion we love what we care for. When we love something or someone, we attempt their preservation and improvement. We love what we seek good for.

T

taoscopy

Your soul is represented by the hexagram 62, it's the bird. Your heart is represented by the hexagram 61, it's the cage. When a bird goes into a cage it's love. When someone has a great heart they can welcome a lot of birds in their cage. But when you meet true love, it fills your heart and soul. You feel complete then, no longer empty.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).