...life can be translucent

Menu

casting a divination

unannounced

visitor
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how you approach casting your divination.

I have read numerous descriptions of lengthy, 'high-church' ritual, or smaller personal devotions, all of which however I felt were quite dry and somewhat mired in the past.

There's been a lot of upheaval in my life of late, a lot of challenge from the universe. I prefer yarrow stalk readings, but after two of the usual quite, candle-lit, slow countings to seek some insight - which I was given with no holds barred - I found myself sitting uncomfortably with feelings of frustration, fear and 'not being up to the challenge'.

To vent this, I tried something a little different. Loud music, open windows, fast and ferocious and physical counting; I let that energy out while asking, perhaps with a hint of rebellion, "what will happen if I do what I need to do, then?"

What a delight, after the previously unfriendly-perceived readings, to get 59 changing to 4. I felt a strong connection back to myself, and what's ahead, and back on talking terms with the universe.

Has anyone else ever done things differently? I must admit, I had a slight feeling of being 'naughty' - but this was quickly overruled by a feeling of ownership and connection.

Sixth Relative

visitor
Reaction score
to get 59 changing to 4

So, you cried loudly (fifth line of hex 59) and the Yijing refused to answer you (judgment of hex 4)? :D

I know, I know... I'm being 'naughty' too.

Now, sarcasm aside. I have tried several aproaches to this issue. I don't feel myself bound to any 'ritual'. My experience is that sincerity (when I identify my doubt; and when I recognize my need for clarification and what I look forward using the Yijing) is the only real must-do

remod

visitor
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how you approach casting your divination.
I have read numerous descriptions of lengthy, 'high-church' ritual, or smaller personal devotions, all of which however I felt were quite dry and somewhat mired in the past.

I don't have anything special. Depending on the moment, I choose the method to use (something cards feel better than coins, or beads seems more appropriate than stalks) but that's all.

I've casted hexagram on the plane, in my room, during a meeting coffe-break, while I was sad, happy, worried, ...
Nothing mattered, except (as you pointed out) how much I felt connectd with the question (and the answer).

P

peterg

Coins work well enough as do 16 token and other methods such as abridged yarrow, but I prefer standard yarrow.
Some think its too slow or even ''complicated'' but I actually like the repetitive meditative ritual of counting the sticks.
I've tried extras such as the breathing exercise described in the Takashima Ekidan (or even peculiar breathing exercises not unlike venting), but finally I just settled for the simple approach. Sit comfortably, keep the mind tranquil, divide and count.
Edit
I wouldn't vent as I cast. Sounds like Hexagram 4 territory. Maybe after the cast.

I put the (chop)sticks flat and horizontal on the desk.
Grasp about half with the right hand and swivel these to the vertical.Grasp one of these and place between the lower fingers of the left hand.
Divide by fours starting on the left, and slightly offset each group of four for easy counting.
I put the remainders between the middle and upper fingers of the left hand.
I check that the remainders add up to 5 or 9 and 4 or 8.
I glance at the edges of the offset groups of four.
If there is a mistake, I backtrack. If no mistakes I group the remainders and put the off to the left side.
When I have cast a line I check that I have three groups of remainders, the 678 or 9 groups of four. and the one at the top of the desk.
I write down the three groups of remainders and the number of the line, 678 or 9, from the bottom up.

I prefer symmetrical coin odds, so I put two aside at the start and count with 48 sticks. The remainders are always 4 or 8.
The ritual is repetitive so it quickly becomes a motor memory and you don't have to think about it.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).