...life can be translucent

Menu

Blog post: The shape of Hexagram 23

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
This entry is part 2 of 2 in the series Hexagram 23
In a little post on hexagrams and scale I wrote,*
Just on this blog, I found three readings I’d shared with Hexagram 23. They were, in order:

• auspices for using a certain technology during a webinar. (I persuaded myself I could use it anyway, and it failed impressively.)
  • foreshadowing my mother’s death after a debilitating illness
  • describing*turning out my wardrobe
This kind of list is one reason why it’s not sensible to worry about receiving Hexagram 23 – or 29, or 47. They tell you the*shape of things, not their size.
So… what is the shape of things, in a time of Stripping Away?
This is one hexagram shape that’s simple enough for us to see in the pattern of lines:
23.gif

If you look at this shape, and remember that*energy always rises through a hexagram, then you can see that the solid line is on its way out. The hexagram*does*look like a process of ‘stripping’ or ‘peeling’.
Someone looking down on this hexagram – from the ‘outside’, as it were – would see only the top line, and might think it was solid all through. But because we see it in cross-section, we can see that it’s hollow.*That*outermost layer*might seem to be almost detached from the rest of the hexagram – ungrounded, disconnected, coming unmoored. Or you might see a*rising tide of open lines pushing out that last bit of solidity, and hence pushing on the wheel of change and turning it towards*regrowth from the roots. (I touched on this in my post about 2.6 – which changes to 23 – and its fighting dragons.)
Another way to see the shape is as trigrams – especially in the light of the Sequence. In the preceding hexagram, 22, an inner fire cast light on*the outer mountain and brought it to life. In 23, the light’s*gone out; there’s only earth, or perhaps ash, under the mountain.
22.gif
23.gif

(Just as I was writing the above, the phone rang and I heard that an elderly*friend had died.)
Stripping Away is a specific kind of change, with this specific shape –*a shape that*can describe death, or clearing out old clothes. Seeing those two readings reminded me of an account I read as a teenager in a book by a close family friend,*Faith Bowers, Who’s this sitting in my pew?
A woman*attending her funeral*with her handicapped sister, looking for a way to explain, said that*what was in the coffin wasn’t the person they’d known, but something like an old, worn-out coat:
‘What do you do with a coat when it’s worn out?’
‘Throw it away,’ replied her sister, ‘put it in the dustbin.’
‘That’s right. The coffin is a kind of dustbin.’
The post The shape of Hexagram 23 appeared first on I Ching with Clarity.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
(More interesting 23-related things to come tomorrow...)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).