Menu

The four 10s

B

butterfly spider

10 HOURS
10 WEEKS
10MONTHS
10 YEARS

I have been thinking about decision making and using the I Ching. A thread about 15-20 sparked some thinking about timing of advise - we ask a question with a time scale in mind and expect the answer to be specific. I think we get things wrong because of this. I went to an EFT (EMOTIONAL FREEDOM TECHNIQUE) workshop, which was just a demonstration of its usefulness. The relevance of emotion and time became very relevant - the body's memory is at odds with the mind's.

I am spectacularly bad at decision making - which is why I like using the I Ching, it is useful. However, I have been looking at the 10,10,10,10 rule recently when making decisions. I am mindful that the castings have a relevance to which 10 I will use. 10 hours, 10 days, 10 months, 10 years. How will this decision play out - is it important, does it matter? Many times, when there is a choice, it is not really a choice at all, it is an illusion - things will probably happen as they were meant to anyway. We like to feel we have some control over things. Other times, we need guidance on making a choice - and we can then apply the 10 rule.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
However, I have been looking at the 10,10,10,10 rule recently when making decisions.

:confused: no idea what the '10 10 10 rule' is.....?

Ten what ? Baffling.

B

butterfly spider

10 hours, 10 days, 10 months, 10 years. How will this decision affect me in this timescale. Some decisions are made and then forgotten about almost immediately. For example - do I go to the concert with x tonight? I just find the process of looking at these 10s very helpful in making decisions. I think what I was getting at was that on a recent thread, the casting perhaps could be looked at on a different timescale - ie a different 10.

I did put the four 10 references in - but perhaps did not make it clear. Perhaps you didnt read the entire posting...

My mother-in-law used to use the 100 rule - same place youll be in 100 years.... that is a different rule entirely....

B

butterfly spider

An example that came to mind today. I asked about how I should approach an interview (within 10 hours today) for a part-time job. A poorly paid one, but nevertheless it would be a steady flow of money. I was asking about the interview - and how I should be in it - the job is until next July (10 months). All night, however, my mind was thinking about finances, about where I should be heading - not this post. I was thinking about my life in the next 10 years. I got hex 38 Opposing. I think that the answer was more to do with this than the interview and this job.

I am quite possibly losing the plot entirely, but it is just a useful little thought.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed it's worth thinking about timescale. Sometimes I ask short term questions and get longer term answers (as it transpires) yet other times it's the other way around and I sense when asking a long term question Yi is pointing me back to the immediate situation. I think it's a matter of 'feeling it out' for yourself.

I've never heard of this rule you speak of but spontaneously tend to comfort myself ....generally after being embarrassed over something, by asking myself 'will this matter in a week/month/year ?'.

D

deflatormouse

I have always really struggled with timescale in my readings, that has certainly been a major weakness of mine. I've wanted to talk about it more on Clarity, but I don't know exactly what to ask. I think a lot of my anxiety is down to a concept of the optimal, or optimization of opportunity that may be unrealistic: If not a "right time" then a "best time". Trying to identify my own biases is hard, but I think that's too black and white. It's certainly very 'either/or,' in that what it's really seeking to understand is "Now or later?" and the line between 'now or later' and 'all or nothing' is fine and delicate. I am equally anxious about acting too boldly too prematurely, and missing opportunities. I guess a lot of the time, my indecision is really a question of timing.

Over the summer, I started experimenting with timeline readings. In a way, it's a questionable practice if I already have readings on the situation, because the original divination might already contain a 360 degree view of the past, present and future (or at least an indication of timescale). And then I can go on to tie myself in lots of knots concering whether my "timeline" reading is just going to say "I already told you that" or something else off-script, but I'm reading it as answering me directly- the same as when I do a million readings on the same question. I'm one of those people who thinks you can ask a question today, and ask the same question tomorrow and it could be a completely different question the second time if everything else has changed, or my attitude has changed, or there's a shift in the atmosphere, or in other people's attitudes, etc... But I feel like it's much more helpful to spend the time unpacking my questions- and I actually think that's the hardest part of divination, harder than interpreting the answers, identifying what it is I really want to know or understand.

But I started doing these timeline readings. "Where am I on the timeline?"
And often the question within that question has been "Is the ball still in play?", did I already miss my "chance".
And most often, what I've found out with those readings is that they can be very direct, and very helpful. But that with a little hindsight, they don't usually have much to do with external opportunity- a few have seemed on reflection to measure my own endurance in the face of imagined opportunity, or psyching myself out :rofl:
Nevertheless, it can be a helpful way to "zoom out," see yourself from the position of an outside observer.
'Show me the timeline'. Maps too (i'll start another thread on maps, it's gotten much more elaborate). If I take it as a direct answer I'm usually able to see my position on a timeline. That thing I'm not always able to see is what exactly it's the timeline of- and that's where knowing the question you really want to ask is helpful.

wild bergamot

visitor
Reaction score
What about 10 days?

Why 10?

I like the idea of thinking about decisions in this type of way.

D

deflatormouse

What about 10 days?

Why 10? .

If I uderstand correctly, there is no special significance to the number ten here, butterfly seems rather to be drawing attention to an unforseen 'butterfly effect' - the decision to go to a concert tonight might have a long-range impact on a timescale that we have't even considered because the question has limited the timescale to 'tonight' in a way that the reading or 'answer' may not. So I think it was rather a (very good) suggestion to consider the long-range implications of short-term readings, and/or the short-term implications of long-range readings, as Trojina suggested, as opposed to working within a "fixed" timescale. Butterfly proposed that readings might always be considered on various timescales of hours, weeks, months and years - My understanding is that it could be 3 hours, 3 months, 3 years just as easily as ten, but i could be missing something...

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).