Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginners' room

Nice meeting you, too Elisabete! And everyone else in this cheerful kindergarten classroom. Who would have thought Dick and Jane and Peter and Jane and Wim and Jet (and their cousins everywhere) could ring the school bell so powerfully.

Elisabete, you are not dumb! Your enthusiasm and openness and willingness to raise your hand to ask questions will surely put you at the the head of this class. Your fellow students will learn from you, I know. I hope we'll be great friends here!

I'm so happy the wise teachers have appeared to help us learn the I Ching alphabet. Chien, kun, chun...

Kiya

Hi, just wanted to say I'm glad for this room.

I Ching kindy-garten! Am going to get my foam letters and building blocks!

Hello. I recently completed Hilary's tuition course. I found it very very helpful--eye opening. About a month or so ago I sugested a beginner's meeting to help this stumbling but earnest student of the I Ching. I felt intimidated by the rather glib intercourse of the more learned students of the Oracle. The side talk also threw me for a loop. I'm just a beginner and I'm just getting use to the shorthand often used for transforming hexagrams. So I have a lot lot to learn. I think a mentor should serve for at least a month so we newbies get acquainted somewhat at more depth to his/her approach to the Oracle. They in turn will get to know us better, facillitating a more helpful critique.
    Dr Bob

Hi Bob

I didn?t do the tuition course yet but I am planning to do so?
    As soon as I have some free time because I should be working but instead I am reading Clarity and LiSe web site [ ]

Well I have a question ?. Usually I don?t remember my dreams or very seldom but this morning I did and the dream was about a job task I have to do (which is true) and my boss was telling me the due date 17 of May. I remember the number 17 very clearly and then I assumed maybe May means number 5. So #17 and #5. But actually I do have a task I should do a.s.a.p and no motivation at all to do it. So probably the dream was just to remind me of my work and alerting me to do it?But I don?t know why I keep thinking about #17 and #5 ?.
    Any help from my classmates and from our professors?

Erk, Elisabete, I thought these were supposed to be simple questions? Someone (Mick?) please help me out here...

Hm, well, if that 17 is a hexagram number, then it seems to run counter to the rest of the dream. It's certainly not 'you have a job to do, get on and do it, never mind how you feel.'

Hexagram 17 is Following, and it's about going with the current of what is natural to you. The flow of events or of intuitions is going in the right direction, moving towards fulfilment, and you need to honour it and follow it. The contrasting hexagram is 18, where the hidden currents and influences are making a nasty mess, and you need to track them down and bring them to light. Following is different: living moment to moment, 'no past causes', no big acts of control.

The Image of #17 is simple and expressive:

'At the centre of the lake is thunder. Following.
    The noble one, at the onset of darkness, goes in to rest.'

Following the flow definitely also means resting at the right time.

So if the dream is connected with the hexagram, then the message under the surface is quite different from the one you first see. Here is your 'boss' - maybe the woman herself, or perhaps representing your inner 'boss' who tells you what you should be doing - saying both 'you must do this' - as you'd expect - and also 'Follow'. And maybe, if May is really there to represent Hexagram 5, also 'Wait' with trust for what you are looking for to come.

(At first I started thinking that perhaps 'May' was a pun on 'you may', giving permission. Then I remembered that you probably don't dream in English! Does the Portugese for May sound like any other words??)

I wonder whether this might not connect with other changes at work?

This is just a quick sketch, but I hope it's a useful start.
    ~ Open for readings (1 still available) ~

Please book your pre-reading call (see Ways of Opening)
    before April 16th.

Elisabete,

Thanks for posting your dream here. I'm a dream interpreter and I find it very useful to connect numbers in dreams to I Ching hexagrams.

You say, "Usually I don't remember my dreams or very seldom but this morning I did and the dream was about a job task I have to do (which is true) and my boss was telling me the due date 17 of May. I remember the number 17 very clearly and then I assumed maybe May means number 5. So #17 and #5."

Perhaps this dream contains a beautiful message about your relationship with the I Ching? Getting to know the I Ching could be what the "job task" in your dream represents.

Maybe 17/5 means hexagram 17 line 5?

Here's the line judgement from the Wilhelm/Baynes edition (ISBN 0-14-019207-7):
    "Sincere in the good. Good fortune."

If I change Wilhelm's comment from "man" to "woman", it says this to you: "Every woman must have something she follows - something that serves her as a lodestar. She who follows with conviction the beautiful and the good may feel herself strengthened by this saying."

So I think that this dream is giving you great encouragement in your studies of the I Ching. The I Ching could well become the lodestar or magnetic centre of your spiritual life.

You are sincere in your search and the outcome is good fortune.

Hope some of this is useful.

Best wishes,

Mick
    http://www.north-node.com/dreams

ann Guest

Hilary this is brilliant!

But I'm sure it was Janet and John books. "Look, John, look. See the little dog."

Oh dear, am I really that old?

And I do hope that Candid and co will share their experience and wisdom here. I've often posted questions and been very grateful for their responses, but I never feel knowledgeable enough to hazard a reply to anyone else's questions!

Thank you and Good Luck!

Ann

ann Guest

Now I have something I Ching related to say.

I met a friend yesterday, someone I talk to at least once a week, but seldom see because of distance. She has had a very hard life in the last 10 years. I was shocked at how she looked yesterday - although she's done fantastically well, yesterday she looked as though she had aged about 20 years and gained a LOT of weight. So I asked 'What is going on with her at the moment?' And before I cast, I knew what the answer would be. Sure enough 47, change line 4 to 29.

47 and 29 I understand - and they are spot on correct. But could someone throw a little light on line 4 of 47 please?

Thank you!

There's a Grateful Dead song, "New Speedway Boogie", that has a line in it"

Now I don't know but I been told
    it's hard to run with the weight of gold
    Other hand I heard it said
    it's just as hard with the weight of lead

That's sort of the spirit of line 4, I think - the image is of someone who ends up achieving what they set out to, despite perhaps going about it in the wrong way, despite the fact that there may have been easier ways to get there, if only the person had looked at the nature of the "burdens" and the "obstacles" and the "helpers" a little differently.

Here's the full lyrics to that song by the way - appropriate for our time. (and BTW, my hex for the *whole year* is #29!)

"New Speedway Boogie"
    Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Please don't dominate the rap Jack
    if you got nothing new to say
    If you please don't back up the track
    This train got to run today

Spent a little time on the mountain
    Spent a little time on the hill
    Heard some say better run away
    Others say you better stand still

it's hard to run with the weight of gold
    Other hand I heard it said
    it's just as hard with the weight of lead

Who can deny? Who can deny?
    it's not just a change in style
    One step done and another begun
    in I wonder how many miles?

Things went down we don't understand
    but I think in time we will

in the heat of the sun a man died of cold
    Do we keep on coming or stand and wait
    with the sun so dark and the hour so late?

You can't overlook the lack Jack
    of any other highway to ride
    It's got no signs or dividing lines
    and very few rules to guide

I saw things getting out of hand
    I guess they always will

I don't know but I been told
    if the horse don't pull you got to carry the load
    I don't know whose back's that strong
    Maybe find out before too long