...life can be translucent

Menu

Producing Prosperity: 55.1 & 4.2

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Sometimes I have gotten the impression from Yi that it would be good if I were to consider myself the source of something. But of what?

I asked directly: 'What kind of source are you thinking of, Yi?' The answer was H55.1.

This line says it will not be a mistake if two individuals [both equals] spend 10 days [or a complete cycle of time] together. Though both are strong, they follow each other.

McCleary says: 'Through their mutual sustenance they become useful. When they are in the same boat, people of conflicting views are of one mind; when they share difficulty, enemies cooperate. It is the force of events that makes this happen. To go on and follow will result in being able to produce abundance.'

I receive this line so often that I asked about it again a few days ago: "Please comment on this statement for purposes of clarification: 'Line 55.1 may mean finding a good adviser and following his advice.'"

I received H4.2 > 23. This line was one of the moving lines we received in our group casting last year about money. Embrace the ignoramus. Shed outmoded ideas.

But how does one embrace those whom we regard as ignoramuses? How do we cooperate with people holding different points of view from ourselves? These are not like-minded people; they are our 'enemies' and 'inferiors.' If we regard someone as inferior to ourselves, doesn't that present an obstacle to union?

Here are some thoughts on 4.2 from The I Ching by Wu Wei:

(1) 'To teach the inexperienced with gentleness
while maintaining forbearance for their ignorance and errors
brings success and good fortune.

(2) To know how to function harmoniously
with persons of the opposite sex
brings good fortune.

(3) Responsibility for the household or organization
can now be given to those offspring
who are in harmony with the parents
or to those administrators
who are in harmony with the heads of the household
or organization.'

The first thing that struck me was the word forbearance. Forbearance is a very interesting virtue, because it is not the same as patience. With patience, we wait through delays. With forbearance, we don't react when someone irks us. For example, parents practice forbearance when their teenagers are defiant or unruly.

With forbearance, why don't we react? Because we find it is okay with us that they act that way and we don't take it to heart or we don't take it personally.

The second thing that struck me was the idea of delegation of responsibility to those whom we recognize as being in harmony with our own goals. We reduce the burden upon ourselves whenever we recognize competent helpers.

This relates also to line 2 moving in H14: having a 'large wagon' is the solution, when there are many burdens to be carried. H14.2 refers to transporting a portion of one's wealth by having a vehicle to do so, and it may sometimes refer to diverting a portion of one's own wealth to assist another person.

Assisting and teaching and embracing. Rather than rejecting and shunning the ignoramus, we are to embrace the ignoramus. I guess the idea behind it is that we are all ignorant, and so there is no difference between us. If I embrace your ignorance, then maybe someday someone will embrace my ignorance.

Isn't this the same as sharing?

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I like it, embracing each other's ignorance. But how about being the ignorant and embracing the other as valuable? You are maybe (not you-Ginnie, a general you) someone very intelligent and rational. The kid with the high grades in school. The other was the dummy. But then there comes a situation in which all that intelligence is of no use, and the dummy has the big heart or deep feelings to solve it.

We all tend to overestimate the rational side of our brain. It is measurable in points of intelligence. No way to measure the other side. That side is anyway not interested in measuring whatever. But the reverse also happens, the sports-kids looking down on the nerds, the artist looking down on the accountant.

They make wonderful combinations. In the movie-making world they know that, they often cast their characters especially for contrast. The cold or over-rational husband with the alcoholic wife, both in Dallas and in Rich man poor man. The lady and the tramp is a bestselling recipe.

When I see people together who are very much alike, it feels to me always as if something is missing. There is always the danger of going too far in that one direction. My own best friend just has primary school and could not learn at all. I always have a lot of fun together with her. When a decision has to be made, she is the one who has no problem at all with it. My own intellectual mind keeps doubting and wavering.

She relies a lot on me - and I on her. Great combination but not one I would ever have thought of starting. Or continuing after the very difficult start. We just happened to be thrown together in a life, so we both made the best of it. Now it is really the best.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Yes. Reversing the stance of being all-knowing.

Maybe that's what the H23 refers to: the wearing away or shedding of this incorrect and childish notion: 'I am right. He is wrong.'

Is this just an American thing, the idea that if I'm not the winner; then I must be a loser. A failure. But my friend who is less complicated than I am can say important things in two words, while I am busy for days composing my paragraphs.

4.2>23. People ask: How can trusting the ignoramus be successful? Surely if you trust the ignoramus, then the situation is going to collapse and deteriorate. Doesn't that sound logical? Obviously what we are supposed to do is shed the ignoramus.

But that is not what the I Ching says.

Maybe the ignoramus is not so stupid.

Rosada on another thread once shared her insight that H23 can be a time when we shed our solitary ways and succeed by cooperating very closely with others. That is, getting hex 23 as the relating hexagram does not always signify that the situation is going to collapse and deteriorate. It can mark a time after which we see ourselves more as being in the same boat with others.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Productive Contrast

In the movie-making world...they often cast their characters especially for contrast. The cold or over-rational husband with the alcoholic wife, both in Dallas and in Rich man poor man. The lady and the tramp is a bestselling recipe.

I really appreciate HeyLise's word: contrast.

Part of H55 is the concept of an unusual time frame, and I think line one moving means the time is ripe for a meeting between people with contrasting personalities and complementary skills -- even if they ordinarily wouldn't listen much to what the other one had to say.

qafinaf

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. This is very helpful.

In t'ai chi, they say "invest in loss".
So instead of trying hard not to lose, you can stay open and flexible to whatever happens.

Being ordinary instead of trying hard to be interesting.

And I heard Lama Glenn Mullin say something like when he goes somewhere, he makes a point to offend his host. (Which delights me because the thought of offending someone horrifies me.)

I just received 4.2 when asking "What is the optimal way forward for me?" The message I'm getting is let yourself be the butt of jokes, the fool, laugh at yourself more. Stop defending against being seen as a dope. Strip away tense pride.

A relaxing message indeed.

qafinaf

visitor
Reaction score
Also, it seems like 4 deals with willingness to be ignorant and receptive in order to learn.

And in Ursula K. Le Guin's Tao Te Ching:

Good people teach people who aren't good yet;
the less good are the makings of the good.
Anyone who doesn't respect a teacher
or cherish a student
may be clever, but has gone astray.
There's a deep mystery here.
(verse 27)

4.2 may be saying that rather than criticizing or getting exasperated with the lesser or the younger, it is through paying attention to what is growing and by appreciating and nurturing the good qualities that the more experienced guide the young to maturity.

This makes it sound like education isn't about learning all the facts and figures but about growing. And as we have been supported and encouraged, we must share and encourage the younger generations when we are older.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).