...life can be translucent

Menu

Should I Run? 43.2.5>55

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
I've had this thought pop into my head on several occasions during the past year, and now that I've seemingly got my health problems under control, maybe I should pursue it. What thought is this, you ask? I've been thinking of running a 5k. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal for some of you, but the last time I ran one I was 26 years old. (I'm now 40!)

Even if I'm not able to run it all, I know I'm healthy enough to walk the distance. But it would be cool to say I ran the entire 5k. Of course, I'd like to have my furry companion at my side as well. So, I asked the IC "Will I be successful in running a 5k with the dog this October?" and got 43.2.5>55.

I interpret that as meaning I should be alert for any health issues that could pop up for either of us (injuries, etc.), it won't be easy but I shouldn't give up and push through any obstacles encountered and ultimately we will be successful. What do you guys think?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
It suggests that yes you will be successful providing that you start getting some practice in before the big day, therefore you need to start running every week slowly building to a goal of 10K.

So when October comes then a 5K run will be a breeze.

But don't get lazy.

ace

visitor
Reaction score
"Will I be successful in running a 5k with the dog this October?" 43.2.5>55

55 for me has been a situation with lots and lots of elements or factors in it that it is often difficult to see the whole situation. Or, it has been the one really big thing that blocks being able to see the whole situation with its many elements. This may be all of the niggling things that have stopped you in the past. Or, it can be that your health has over-shadowed your ability to see a way to this goal.

43 for me is that a decision has to be made. Also, harvest can be made by probing into the situation, but that harvest will not be made by waging war. So, yes a decision must be made, but it has to be a wise decision, not a hasty one.

43.2 prepare! LISE (43.2) talks about preparation. Go to a doctor to get the go-ahead; go online to get a training schedule; research into proper running shoes for you; research into running clubs; look at your schedule and block out and dedicate specific running/training time; start slow, like walk/run, or just walk to begin; train to time not distance (5 km is probably between 25-60 minutes, depending); tact out a 5-7 km route so you have a sense of the distance and/or have a route to run; have a long and honest discussion with your dog as to whether s/he wants to run, has the health to run, or the breeding to run (some breeds ain't cut out for long-distance running); take out a subscription to "Runner" magazine (it is a monthly reminder of what you should be doing); start telling people (e.g., sig O's, family, co-workers) that you are training for this race and people will inquire about it over the training time; sort out a hydrating system as you will be training through the summer; get a GOOD sunblock (30 and sweatproof), a light long sleeved running shirt for summer running, and a comfortable hat with forward brim; and, if your preparation says go, sign up for the race as it gives you a goal and deadline.

43.5 be determination and centered! Hatcher (43.5) writes "a firm resolution is called for in dealing with weeds". This is your goal so get'ter done!! BUT, be smart ... **pain, NO GAIN**. Be centred. Now is NOT the time to wage war on your body, but intimately commune with it. Learn to listen and it will speak. Hatcher (43.5) states "to balance the behaviour is not a mistake". Communing with your body will help you balance your diet, balance your activity, balance your energy, balance your training, et etc, IF you learn to listen and approach your body and your task in a centered and determined way.

My answer to your closed-ended question is ... it depends.

Last edited:

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks, Willowfox. I won't be a slacker, but 10k? Wowee. That's quite an aspiration to have! I see your logic with training for twice the distance, so half will be easy. And no, I won't be a slacker. If I commit to it, I'm going full out.

Ace, I loved your interpretation of things as well. You are correct, a decision has to be made and plans have to be set to train for this run. That is what held me back before. It was almost too overwhelming and with the previous health issues, it made it not only improbable but an impossible task to accomplish.

Last night, I looked at running shoes and today subscribed to "Runners World" magazine to get some tips and to learn more. I believe I'll have to do the early morning training schedule, as anything later than that will be too hot this time of year. I have been running/walking on a treadmill for the past five weeks, and can run .68 miles so far. Naah, it's not fast nor is it a long distance, but it is a place to start.

I have been paying attention to my body's needs more lately with the change in my health. I hit the treadmill for 20-25 minutes each session and if I'm not feeling up to a run, then a fast paced walk is what I do instead. I workout six days a week and have been since May 2nd.

About the dog...he is a Samoyed, thus my screenname here. They are sled dogs, known to pull sledges across Siberia and herd reindeer for their nomadic people, the Samoyede. It's in his heritage to be a working man, and I have allowed him opportunities to do so. It makes living with him easier. He always wants something to do.

When I found out my live-in boyfriend of 7.5 years was cheating on me last year, it was upon my return from a National Specialty for the dog breed. The dog and I had spent 10 days pack hiking, sheep herding and doing obedience work. That was last October. Since then, I moved into a new place and have had emotional and physical health issues to deal with. Unfortunately, the pup hasn't had much work to do since moving here last December.

Previously, he had been walking 2.5-2.8 miles about 2-3 times per week, and on the other days he was walking between 1.5-2.0 miles. Last September, we participated in a 5k, but we walked it with the dog (with a weighted backpack on the entire trip). Having this bout of inactivity for 6-8 months, I'm starting to see arthritic changes in him. He's a bit stiffer than he used to be. The Vet told me a long time ago to keep him moving and that will keep him more pain-free and keep the arthritis at bay.

So, I'll start the training on the easy side with him. There's a path near where I live that is .59 miles in length. We'll start that tomorrow as a walk/run to see how he does. I have a feeling he'll love it, but I'll make sure he doesn't overdo it. I figure I'll take the early morning run every other day (and no running on my day off from the gym no matter what day it falls on).

As I've seen here at Clarity, so many castings eventually involve a boyfriend/girlfriend in some way. Well, that and your suggestion to tell others about what we're training for. So, not to be different here, I casted and asked about a potential interest, "Will Terry join us in running the 5k?" I thought it could be a fun activity and he might enjoy helping me to meet a goal I have. So, the IC gave me a 19.2.6>27.

I think line 2 is telling me that he could join us, but don't wait for him. Start on my plan and if he's up to joining me, he can later. Perhaps line 6 says that we'll enjoy the activity together and it could renew the energy between us? And I think that he could nurture my desire to meet the goal and help me. However, I get the feeling that in all of this, moderation is the key. But what do you think?

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
No Fear, but is it Worth it?

I've had this thought pop into my head on several occasions during the past year, and now that I've seemingly got my health problems under control, maybe I should pursue it. What thought is this, you ask? I've been thinking of running a 5k. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal for some of you, but the last time I ran one I was 26 years old. (I'm now 40!)

Even if I'm not able to run it all, I know I'm healthy enough to walk the distance. But it would be cool to say I ran the entire 5k. Of course, I'd like to have my furry companion at my side as well. So, I asked the IC "Will I be successful in running a 5k with the dog this October?" and got 43.2.5>55.

I interpret that as meaning I should be alert for any health issues that could pop up for either of us (injuries, etc.), it won't be easy but I shouldn't give up and push through any obstacles encountered and ultimately we will be successful. What do you guys think?
H43 is about deciding, making a firm resolution and declaring it. If I received this, I would think that Yi is suggesting I make a firm decision on the subject and declare it publicly. Don't waste much time agonizing over it. It suggests notifying your own people, friends and family, and being aware of any danger in committing to the run.

From the Wikiwing, and Line 2 comes the suggestion you have nothing to fear.

Line 2

'Alarmed, crying out.
Evening and night, bearing arms.
No fears.'

A state of constant alertness, sustained concentration. Maybe feeling threatened, but there is no need to be afraid.

From the WikiWing, Line 5 suggests that you have something to gain from the effort, something not easily obtained, but that it may be worth the effort. Your time getting ready and training may be better spent on other prizes.

'Amaranth on high ground.
Decide, decide.
Centred action, no mistake.'

Could be not amaranth on high ground, but a mountain goat, a symbol for deft and swift decisiveness. (That would be a natural contrast to line 4’s more biddable sheep, and would fit with the zhi gua.)

Amaranth: very nutritious, of medicinal value. Will grow on high ground, but its natural habitat is low-lying and moist. So here is something good and valuable, but not in the best place. It’s good, but not ideal, not readily accessible, and we could surely do better. Leave it, or uproot it?

Well, Amaranth or Goat, you will probably devote considerable energy to this attainment, and only you can decide it you could "do better", as it says above, by pursuing something else.

Tiger

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for your interpretation, Tiger. What an interesting take on the casting. I told friends tonight that I'm doing it, so I believe the wheels are now in motion. The decision has been made. They were shocked, but yet supportive of my desire to do this. I think that "something to be gained" would be better health for both dog and me that will take a while to attain. In addition, the knowledge that I ran a 5k better at age 40 than at 26 will be equally rewarding.

I'm pleased that there's nothing to fear and a lot to be gained here. Small progressive steps and be alert to injuries or overtraining. The thought of whether I could have been better off doing something else....well, most of the training will be in the early morning, so the alternative to running would be sleeping. LOL!

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
You don't need to be able to run fast, you need endurance as its a test of your capability to complete the 5k in one go. Also, don't get used to the treadmill, as running on road is quite different, as your strides should be longer and thus flowing.

As for Hex 19.2,6 > 27 call him up and tell him that you not only need a personal trainer but lots of moral support, when can he start.

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
WIllowfox, I love the way you look at things. It made me chuckle about the comment you made in regards to the Terry element in the situation.

I realize that I run like a bulldog on the treadmill - lumbering and short strides. I'll definitely need to modify that for running outdoors. I've also heard that the treadmill provides a lot of cushion and is nothing like running on the road. So, I anticipate that tomorrow's run might be more of a walk than a run/walk. I'm okay with that, as we've got to start somewhere.

I went into the dangerous realm of casting - asking what someone else thinks. I asked tonight "What will Terry think when he hears about me running a 5k?" and got 17.1.3>31. I think there are a bunch of ways to interpret that, but I think that because Terry has experience running, he can give me suggestions and encouragement. It will help him to focus on what really is important to him in relationships (as I believe it will allow him to focus on our friendship) and as a result...let the wooing begin!

I haven't attempted contact with him in over a month (I was waiting for him to initiate this time), so I asked the IC "Should I contact Terry about helping me train for the 5k?" and got 13.1.2.5>50. I think it's showing me that the opportunity to start a new relationship is there, but cautions to keep things lighthearted and do not focus on a serious relationship. Progress can be made, it will be slow, but the relationship we'll have will be different than it was before. Hopefully that means it will have a romantic element and be of a stronger foundation...but those are my hopes and not based on what the IC has to say.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
I asked tonight "What will Terry think when he hears about me running a 5k?" and got 17.1.3>31.

****I would think that he will find the whole idea, interesting, appealing and fun and its a novel way to have an excuse to visit.

so I asked the IC "Should I contact Terry about helping me train for the 5k?" and got 13.1.2.5>50.

Yes, and put the emphasis on the fact that's its all for fun and you really need a sensible guy that you can trust.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the IC "Will I be successful in running a 5k with the dog this October?" and got 43.2.5>55.

I'm in Logical Mode this afternoon, and so I think you have actually asked more than one question of the I Ching.

(1) Will I be successful?

(2) Can I run a 5k?

(3) With the dog?

(4) this October?

Yi generally answers the first question, as it cannot answer all of them. I don't want to discourage you, but to me, hex 55 has often meant "too much" of something. After all, hex 55 represents the peak or height of something. But it can also represent 'too much of a good thing.'

Line 43.5 in my own life has always meant something that I could do if I were determined, but it could not be done well for some reason. When trying to uproot wet spinach with your bare hands, it breaks off into little pieces even as you think you've gotten a good grip on it!

Oh, darn it, now people are going to think I saying you can't do it. My point is that you might have to change your definition of 'successful' several times before October!

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samoyedmom
I asked the IC "Will I be successful in running a 5k with the dog this October?"

I'm in Logical Mode this afternoon, and so I think you have actually asked more than one question of the I Ching.

(1) Will I be successful?

(2) Can I run a 5k?

(3) With the dog?

(4) this October?

I see one question, She and the dog are a team, so can they run around the 5k successfully, and October is just pinpointing the actual time of the event.

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
Yi generally answers the first question, as it cannot answer all of them. I don't want to discourage you, but to me, hex 55 has often meant "too much" of something. After all, hex 55 represents the peak or height of something. But it can also represent 'too much of a good thing.'

Line 43.5 in my own life has always meant something that I could do if I were determined, but it could not be done well for some reason. When trying to uproot wet spinach with your bare hands, it breaks off into little pieces even as you think you've gotten a good grip on it!

Oh, darn it, now people are going to think I saying you can't do it. My point is that you might have to change your definition of 'successful' several times before October!

Well, Ginnie, I'm not certain how this is playing out as far as the IC predicted, but I've recently had some new health concerns crop up. My blood pressure has dropped dangerously low and my heart rate has skyrocketed, especially while running. I have a call into Mom's Cardiologist for an appointment to check this out. It isn't the dog's desire or health that's the problem here - it's me.

So, perhaps the IC was saying a few months ago, "Sure, you can do this, but not at the level you expect to. Other issues will keep you from achieving that goal in the way you desire." I dunno, but I thought I'd at least give you this feedback, as I think you caught an interesting nuance that I most certainly did not see (or anticipate)!

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for coming back to this thread and posting this, Samoyedmom!

Yes, I think Ace also was pointing out that when you get 55 -- it can be the peak of something -- but of what? It can be the peak of Too Much.

Hope the cardiologist finds nothing that a little rest won't cure.

patro

visitor
Reaction score
to me the meaning of 43-> 55 is that you don't will achieve the goal of the 5k in October!
but this will not a so big problem... because you will enjoy your reached success! about 4k?
as Ginnie saw... often 55 is connect with to much!
but it's more a fact with which other hex is combined! in this case the suggestion is an accepted to much!
the fifth line of 43 talk about to .....walking in the middle remains free from error...
as I say 3,75k-> 4k it's the goal that you will reach!
but hey... let's run! and report your goal :)

PS:
ops! I was by the way to write my answer.. and now there are just two new answer!

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
as Ginnie saw... often 55 is connect with to much!...but it's more a fact with which other hex is combined!

This is an interesting observation, Patro. Can you think of a good example of when 55 means one thing and when it means something else?

There are many lines about obscurity in hexagram 55 ... obscurity brought about by eclipses and by other means, too. There's the line with the broken arm. There's mention of a 'dark lord.' Often translated as 'Abundance,' this hexagram is also about darkness and not being able to accomplish much.

patro

visitor
Reaction score
Yes Ginnie!
for example... 17-> 55 is a good combination... successful... like a yes as answer regarding the question!

but this is not always sure! I notice that the meaning of an hex combination depend obviously from the question and question matter... and what is your conviction about!

55 as starting hex could also mean that regarding the answer we are under a close or biased effect, while external all is exiting and full of love. It also mean to be completely biased! all depend from the moving lines!

I noticed some other strange answer... that now let me think about any answer always in 2 ways... positive and negative...
if you want I can make more examples!

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
17-> 55 is a good combination... successful... like a yes as answer regarding the question!...55 as starting hex could also mean that regarding the answer we are under a close or biased effect...if you want I can make more examples!

I see you know a lot about hex 55!

At the height of something we need to change direction. We don't know what to do because the situation is dark and obscure to us. We need to find guidance -- and maybe someone will show up to help us find the new direction.

Yes, I want you to give more examples, but maybe we need to start a new thread for this, Patro. Maybe I'll post one of my own examples on a new thread. I see you've already posted one on another thread, with 55 as the relating hexagram. That one was interesting! :)

patro

visitor
Reaction score

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
No, not that one. Sorry, I was away doing work. I have to work sometimes for money to pay my bills, you know.

I'm going to post a 55 question in Shared Readings now. It's a question I asked before, but I'd like to post it again.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).