...life can be translucent

Menu

Buy a boat for a home? 51.2->54

dizzy

visitor
Reaction score
So...nearing a Saturn Return (29 years old) and thinking about making a BIG change. I've lived my entire life thus far on the E Coast (within an hour of Philly) and have been pretty unhappy in rural areas, suburb types, and a large city. Not a lot of job opportunities and a lot of social frustration. I don't really dig my family either so moving away from them is no problem. I don't have any ties (house, killer job, boyfriend, etc) so some of my mentors have been encouraging me to get the heck outta dodge already and try something I always wanted to do. They said W Coast or Europe which sound fine to me, though Europe doesn't seem to practical at this point for working. As for the something I always wanted to do, I was sort of at a loss until I was searching apt ads in LA and came up with the idea of living on a boat. I researched this a lot, took a boating class, and thought it could be doable. Then I started to chicken out, but decided that I would take a look at some boats during my apartment search this week.

I found a really nice boat, it has everything I could possibly want on it and is in great condition. The price is higher than I had budgeted for, but if I ever were to sell it, I would make back at least twice the cost of the boat, maybe a good deal more. It is pretty much impossible to find a boat with these amenities at this price point, I haven't seen anything close. I asked yc about the likely outcome of buying the boat and got the scary answer of 51.2 to 54.

I'm not sure if this just means I'm all in a fluster about my (risky) dream coming true, albeit with a bit of turbulence on the way, or if the whole venture is doomed to failure. Any insight? I need to make a decision tomorrow.

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Messing About in Boats

So...nearing a Saturn Return (29 years old) and thinking about making a BIG change... As for the something I always wanted to do, I was sort of at a loss until I was searching apt ads in LA and came up with the idea of living on a boat. I researched this a lot, took a boating class, and thought it could be doable. Then I started to chicken out, but decided that I would take a look at some boats during my apartment search this week.

I found a really nice boat, it has everything I could possibly want on it and is in great condition. The price is higher than I had budgeted for, but if I ever were to sell it, I would make back at least twice the cost of the boat, maybe a good deal more. It is pretty much impossible to find a boat with these amenities at this price point, I haven't seen anything close. I asked yc about the likely outcome of buying the boat and got the scary answer of 51.2 to 54.

I'm not sure if this just means I'm all in a fluster about my (risky) dream coming true, albeit with a bit of turbulence on the way, or if the whole venture is doomed to failure. Any insight? I need to make a decision tomorrow.
The reading indicates that everything on the externals won't be smooth sailing; you will have losses, and possibly losses of status in the short run as well. But in the long run, you will gain something valuable that you want.

From the WiliWing:

‘Shock comes, danger.
A hundred thousand coins lost
Climb the ninth hill,
Don’t chase them.
On the seventh day, gain.’

Not running after what’s lost, finding a higher perspective, you might even gain more than you lost as the cycle turns.

Might warn against locating your value outside yourself, as if it were something you could lose.

So the increase in value that you get in the long run might be non-financial, and you may grow in value as a person. But I wouldn't count on the financial part of it going smoothly.

Then there is the additional "status" issue. You are/will be a new boat owner, with only minimal experience. H54 is about a change of status to that of an "secondary wife" in the short term. So I would expect some rough experiences as you learn about being married to the boat and your status in the world of boat owners.

I am sure you have heard this saying, but the two happiest days of the boat owner's life are the day they buy the boat and the day they sell the boat.;)

Tiger

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score

I am sure you have heard this saying, but the two happiest days of the boat owner's life are the day they buy the boat and the day they sell the boat.;)

Tiger

:rofl:

but seriously, not always true ;). What is true about boats is that they are high maintenance assets -not always in terms of money but definitely in personal time and resources . .

I've always admired as well as felt astonished by people who decide to live in boats -I think it takes a unique temperament to pull it off.
Dizzy you mentioned that you've done your research and taken classes, but these don't really prepare you for living on a boat (I'm guessing we're talking sailing boats?). So I have to ask you: Have you ever lived for months on end on one, just to take a taste of what it might be like? What seems romantic and bohemian might turn into a sour experience if you are not pragmatic about it . . Another thing to consider: do you have technical knowledge and/or are good in handyman jobs? Boats can show problems that are not easily 'diagnosed' at first sight and they take a lot of time fixing and adjusting stuff. In that sense they are like old houses (I remember that a friend of mine living in an old but marvelous house with an amazing view had finally to give it up because she ended up spending all her free time maintaining the house in good living conditions and a boat could turn out to be a similar experience).

Another related thing is to research the company and year model of the boat you're interested to buy to check possible problems . . I don't want to scare you but I think this is not a decision to be taken lightly.

Finally -and most importantly: Do you have a back up plan in case things go south?? 54 can refer to one's plan B, which can be a saviour if plan A crumbles away (what could happen in 51.2)

ehmm, sorry for throwing all those not-so-happy thoughts on you . . the simple fact is that living on a boat can still be an awesome and unique experience, it can bring you really close to the natural elements and the ways they work and teach you amazing stuff about living in harmony with them (both in the good and the bad ;)) . . definitely a life experience!

however (and this is just me talking, you can always throw my opinions out of the window, it is your life) if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't want to go into this with eyes closed . .

sincerely sending you many wishes for a happiest outcome
:bows:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Getting 54 for your relating hex can mean "a force over which you have no control." You may find that you just must have a boat -- there's no stopping this. :)

Please let us know what happens ...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).