I asked Yi how can I solve one specific problem. Answer 33.3.5>35

I m confused because there is couple of diffrent interpretation of line 3

Willlhelm;
Nine in the third place means:
A halted retreat
Is nerve-wracking and dangerous.
To retain people as men- and maidservants
Brings good fortune.

When it is time to retreat it is both unpleasant and dangerous to be held back, because then one no longer has freedom of action. In such a case the only expedient is to take into one’s service, so to speak, those who refuse to let one go, so that one may keep one’s initiative and not fall helplessly under their domination. but even with this expedient the situation is far from satisfactory – for what can one hope to accomplish with such servants?

Alfred Huang

Third Nine
Attached, retreats.
There is illness.
Adversity.
Feed manservants and handmaidens:
Good fortune.
Attached, retreats: adversity.
He is distressed and exhausted
Feed manservants and handmaidens:good fortune.
He cannot do big things.

The third line is a yang element at a yang place. It is firm and correct but
encumbered with the two yin elements underneath it. One at this place
has already retreated from the dark forces but still attaches to the darkness. If he cannot completely keep the darkness at a distance, there is
distress, such as illness. The text advises that it is better to stay at home
and care for little things. In ancient times, there were many servants at a - feudal noble's house. "Feed manservants and handmaidens" means staying
at home.

Please help with interpretation...

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
33 overall is a sign of decline and bad things are around, so get away from it. Stay at home, get help. As the two moving lines bring you to 35, if you retreat, then you will be able to advance very well.

elias

visitor
Reaction score
I asked Yi how can I solve one specific problem. Answer 33.3.5>35

I m confused because there is couple of diffrent interpretation of line 3...

Not much to go on here... Chih-hsu Ou-i ("The Buddhist I Ching"-- a text from the early 1600s) says of this: "The danger of entanglements in withdrawal is that there is affliction and exhaustion. The good results of feeding servants and concubines is not suitable for great works." He further explains that "if one cannot govern a nation, one should still take care of one's family, as a model for the world." Chih-hsu is by turns insightful in the manner of Zen masters, or utterly banal.

R.L. Wing (20th Century): says "You've been held back from RETREAT and consequently are in the center of a difficult situation. Inferior persons or ideals may surround you. They can be used to insulate you from further difficulties, but you can accomplish nothing significant while fettered by inferior elements." Wing offers a broad approach between social, political, and personal responses.

Carol Anthony (20th C) says: "Our inferiors [by which she means internal psychological ego-entities] , which are composed of both good and evil elements, remain engaged with the problem. It is necessary to retreat as best we can, even though they argue on and on. This effort to do what is right gives us strength, because the good elements such as will power, dedication, devotion, and sincerity, here referred to as our servants, rally to fight off evil elements such as doubt, anxiety, fear, pride, and vanity."

My response: you are in a difficult situation and need some help. Unfortunately, good help is hard to find. You may need to use questionable resources or people, who you would usually not consider, to get through this situation. Once the current crisis is passed, things will get much better and the wisdom of your actions will be apparent to all.

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
33 overall is a sign of decline and bad things are around, so get away from it. Stay at home, get help. As the two moving lines bring you to 35, if you retreat, then you will be able to advance very well.

Ok, get help...
What does mean manservants and konkubines in hexagram?
Because in situation is involve one man and one woman, I suppose that I should not get help from them.
But in his pocket Yi ching Cleary say that it is auspicious to take care for servants but it is not enough...
Konkubines are very often mentioned in Yi ching, but I have never understand what it mean...

Last edited:

elias

visitor
Reaction score
In its original context, the I Ching reflected a feudal society in which upper-class households had many servants and the man of the house would typically have a number of concubines as well as wives.

In modern systems, these subservient beings may be interpreted as internal aspects of one's self (as in Carol Anthony) or as real people with whom you interact (as in Wing).

If your question concerns a romantic relationship in which you are a part, Anthony would probably be most helpful. If your question concerns business or professional affairs, Wing might provide better insight.

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
In its original context, the I Ching reflected a feudal society in which upper-class households had many servants and the man of the house would typically have a number of concubines as well as wives.

In modern systems, these subservient beings may be interpreted as internal aspects of one's self (as in Carol Anthony) or as real people with whom you interact (as in Wing).

If your question concerns a romantic relationship in which you are a part, Anthony would probably be most helpful. If your question concerns business or professional affairs, Wing might provide better insight.

What about feeding servants and concubines? What does it mean?
This is Deng Ming-Dao version;

Disease and evil come with wiitdrawal.
Control servants and maids for fortune.
Line 3 comment: Disease and evil come with withdrawal. Control servants and maids for fortune.

question is about professional affairs. I m having Carol Anthony and I dont like it, all explanations are similar, and always is something about ego, if we dont feed our ego,everything will be fine :)

I never saw Wing s book, is somwhere available in pdf?

elias

visitor
Reaction score
R. L. Wing: The I Ching Workbook (New York: Doubleday, 1979) is the English-language version. I understand there are translations out there, but I do not have any further information. I do not know of any .pdf edition. Wing addresses a wide range of business, social, and interpersonal aspects.

Anthony's approach is highly psychological and she does indeed repeat herself quite a bit, particularly concerning the ego and the problems it generates. I find her most useful for addressing issues of romantic relationships. She is not as helpful for business concerns.

As noted above. "concubines and servants" concern either persons of lower status than you --perhaps people you supervise, or temporary workers -- or psychological aspects that you may not be comfortable in acknowledging. As your query addresses business issues, I would venture that other people are the "concubines and servants" referred to. In any event, the indication is that you are in the midst of a difficult situation and may need to resort to using people and methods you would otherwise not consider as a means of getting past this current state.

Once you get past this situation you will enter a time of significant progress and advancement.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).