...life can be translucent

Menu

OY...38.6 and furthering my education and readings that reflect relationship issues

chucklesthegirl

visitor
Reaction score
For some reason or another, when I ask yi about my career, I receive responses that appear to be about relationships and conflicts.
Elias pointed this out to me in a career thread and since then, I have noticed this as an ongoing pattern in my readings.

Well, I am contemplating finishing my Bachelors degree and possibly majoring in Marketing. Since I want to work in real estate, i think this could be advantageous to my career.

I asked: "What benefit could getting a degree in Marketing have on my career?"

the response was 38.6>54

Okay, so, reading the Willhelm translation of the line it basically describes a situation where there is a misunderstanding between two people, and one of the people cannot see past their anger/fear/suspicion of the other person and is prepared to fight them.

Nine at the top means:
Isolated through opposition,
One sees one's companion as a pig covered
with dirt, as a wagon full of devils.
First one draws a bow against him,
then one lays the bow aside.
He is not a robber; he will woo at the right time.
As one goes, rain falls; then good fortune comes.

Here the isolation is due to misunderstanding; it is brought about not by outer circumstances but by inner conditions. A man misjudges his best friends, taking them to be as unclean as a dirty pig in and as dangerous as a wagon full of devils. He adopts an attitude of defense. But in the end, realizing his mistake, he lays aside the bow, perceiving that the other is approaching with the best intentions for the purpose of close union. Thus the tension is relieved. The union resolves the tension, just as falling rain relieves the sultriness preceding a thunderstorm. All goes well, for just when opposition reaches its climax it changes over to its antithesis.

I am shaking my head at this because for the past few weeks, i have been fighting with this friend of mine (various threads on this site about that situation) and we recently had a HUGE blow out about a pesky girl (one of several) who caused problems. Things are a little weird still but we are now at a peaceful place...again.

I asked about the current status of that relationship and got 15.2>46 which seems to reflect the situation perfectly.

Then I asked:
what would happen between us and got 61.2.3>37
which.....ugh, that third line....bothers me but does describe the emotional turmoil behind this erm, union.

Then I asked what kind of love he has for me and got 2.1.2.3>11 and that is a nice pleasant enough take on things. Not too passionate not too ambivalent, just easy going and affectionate.
So, I really cannot see how or why the oracle would repeatedly give me responses that show tumultuous relationships for career readings.

Back to my original question.....
I can sort of see how this reading would apply to my question....employers may not think I am a suitable candidate as it stands right now due to my rather dismal resume...yet with a degree, perhaps this would change their views of me as an employee?

I am just wondering why this keeps happening with career readings.....why does it seem as if my relationship issues are coming out in the readings? I really do not consider the situation with my friend to be more important that my career and education....maybe to yi, they are both somehow interwoven?
Fascinating to me.

Maybe I am reading the answers incorrectly or is yi giving me an all around answer that covers a lot of ground? I have noticed that consulting yi is a lot like talking to a friend in that, if I ask a question or seek input on something, it will respond with a very direct answer...however, sometimes it will say something like, "yes..interesting though that topic may be, did you know that...?" and change the subject entirely.

Anyway, i am rambling. Sorry for the long post...I am just a bit perplexed and wondering why this is happening.

Namaste and thank you in advance for any and all input. I do appreciate the feedback.
:bows:

Last edited:

chucklesthegirl

visitor
Reaction score
This is why I <3 the I Ching

Out of curiosity, I asked why do my career readings end up reflecting the situation with so and so.

The response made me laugh.

27.1.5>20

Translation: "Why are you asking me? Go think about this. You're fully capable of deciding these things on your own. Stop handing over your power (i.e. line 1 Magic Tortoise). Bah!"

A true :duh: :rofl: moment.

elias

visitor
Reaction score
I am just wondering why this keeps happening with career readings.....why does it seem as if my relationship issues are coming out in the readings? I really do not consider the situation with my friend to be more important that my career and education....maybe to yi, they are both somehow interwoven?

A couple of thoughts -- either your relationship issues are dominating everything, or you are trying to force a dichotomy between career and personal life where there is none, or there is an underlying issue dominating all your queries, and that is what IC is responding to... I would tend toward the third option. So your next project is to figure out what the underlying issue(s) is/are.

You seem to have a pretty good handle on interpretations, so i don't have much to add.
Of that career thang -- it may be best to step back and look it all over before committing. Are there indeed openings in your proposed career, or would you do better examining other options? That's my reading of 38.6>54.

Of the relationship questions-- the resultants (Family and Peace) look very good, though there's probably going to be a lot of work getting there.

Best...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason or another, when I ask yi about my career, I receive responses that appear to be about relationships and conflicts.
Elias pointed this out to me in a career thread and since then, I have noticed this as an ongoing pattern in my readings.

Well, I am contemplating finishing my Bachelors degree and possibly majoring in Marketing. Since I want to work in real estate, i think this could be advantageous to my career.

I asked: "What benefit could getting a degree in Marketing have on my career?"

the response was 38.6>54

Okay, so, reading the Willhelm translation of the line it basically describes a situation where there is a misunderstanding between two people, and one of the people cannot see past their anger/fear/suspicion of the other person and is prepared to fight them.

Nine at the top means:
Isolated through opposition,
One sees one's companion as a pig covered
with dirt, as a wagon full of devils.
First one draws a bow against him,
then one lays the bow aside.
He is not a robber; he will woo at the right time.
As one goes, rain falls; then good fortune comes.

Here the isolation is due to misunderstanding; it is brought about not by outer circumstances but by inner conditions. A man misjudges his best friends, taking them to be as unclean as a dirty pig in and as dangerous as a wagon full of devils. He adopts an attitude of defense. But in the end, realizing his mistake, he lays aside the bow, perceiving that the other is approaching with the best intentions for the purpose of close union. Thus the tension is relieved. The union resolves the tension, just as falling rain relieves the sultriness preceding a thunderstorm. All goes well, for just when opposition reaches its climax it changes over to its antithesis.

:bows:

can't see why you'd think 38.6 has to be about a relationship issue...why not apply it to the work question ? if you feel its definately about the relationship issue I expect you are right....but theres no reason 38.6 should apply exclusively to relationship issues :confused: you could try applying 38.6 to the career question ?

I don't think I've often found Yi answers with something totally unrelated to the question. Though i have found often Yi does not answer the question direct if there is an underlying issue that actually impacts upon the issue much more than the actual question i asked.

I've heard from others that if there is something urgent going on in your life (and you aren't much aware of the urgency), over riding your current cosncious concerns Yi will address those. Maybe thats whats happening with you...maybe the friend issue is very important

Last edited:

chucklesthegirl

visitor
Reaction score
....there is an underlying issue dominating all your queries, and that is what IC is responding to... So your next project is to figure out what the underlying issue(s) is/are.

I think you're right. And I suspect the underlying issue(s) pertain to me divorcing my daughter's father, starting over and possibly having a relationship with someone else....this move,possible new relationship and my career seem to be bundled up with other circumstances that I have consciously pushed into the background.

The 41.3 and 50.1 from the other thread may point to my divorce...even the line from the text for 50.1 mention acquiring someone new to help me raise my child.

A ting with legs upturned furthers
removal of stagnating stuff.
One takes a concubine for the sake of her son.
No blame.

This move is a pivotal one not just for me but for my daughter as well. The state where we currently live has no opportunities and is so socially backwards that I really do not want her to grow up in this environment.

Now I have a lot to think about....and maybe yi is trying to get me see something I have neglected when making plans to move and start over.

With the 38.6, yes, there are tons of positions open in that field. It is pretty easy to land a job in real estate sales in the city I am relocating to. The housing market has not suffered there as much as other places in the US, so I wonder if maybe me getting a degree in Marketing is just not exactly helpful to my career or if I should consider another direction with my education.

Lots of thinking to do. Thank you, Elias once again.

Namaste!

chucklesthegirl

visitor
Reaction score
can't see why you'd think 38.6 has to be about a relationship issue...why not apply it to the work question ? if you feel its definately about the relationship issue I expect you are right....but theres no reason 38.6 should apply exclusively to relationship issues :confused: you could try applying 38.6 to the career question ?

I don't think I've often found Yi answers with something totally unrelated to the question. Though i have found often Yi does not answer the question direct if there is an underlying issue that actually impacts upon the issue much more than the actual question i asked.

I've heard from others that if there is something urgent going on in your life (and you aren't much aware of the urgency), over riding your current cosncious concerns Yi will address those. Maybe thats whats happening with you...maybe the friend issue is very important

I agree, most of the time yi responds to my queries directly and with astounding detail. The reason I was perplexed and taken aback by the 38.6 is because it popped up following a serious weekend long fight with my friend.

The only experience I have had with this line so far has been in relation to arguments or misunderstandings with people I care about. So, to see it come up in a career reading made me scratch my head.

I guess if I look at the reading (38.6) in a slightly different way it could say that having a degree in marketing could open up doors to me that were originally closed due to lack of formal business education. Maybe it could help me become a more appealing candidate in the eyes of the potential recruiters?

I am re-reading the text for the line and seeing if I can find anything that stirs up a sort of "Ah ha!" reaction for me.
Maybe my feeling a bit defensive towards the job search is what provoked the 38.6. I do feel a bit inferior as a candidate because I haven't worked in so long. Perhaps that is reflected in the text....

Here the isolation is due to misunderstanding; it is brought about not by outer circumstances but by inner conditions. A man misjudges his best friends, taking them to be as unclean as a dirty pig in and as dangerous as a wagon full of devils. He adopts an attitude of defense.

Honestly, I can see it going both ways...me as the mud covered pig to the employers and me seeing them as the "enemy" and becoming defensive at the idea of being rejected.

elias

visitor
Reaction score
A few more responses to 38.6

LiSe: "Looking askance, alone. Seeing a pig with mud on its back, a cart loaded with ghosts. At first he draws his bow, later he relaxes his bow. No bandit, a marital suitor. Proceeding encountering rain: as a rule auspicious.

Make your looks and actions comprehensible for other people. If they have to guess about you or your aims, they might guess wrong and shoot. Never expect them to accept you just like that, give them reason to trust you. Show your intentions. A meeting is always tense until each knows the other, then comes relief."

Wing: "Misunderstandings and mistrust have caused you to lose all perspective. You see your true friends as enemies and become defensive. You will, however, see your mistakes, and the tensions will be relieved. Just when the contradictions are at their worst they begin to ebb. Good fortune."

Anthony: "Despite appearances, other people or the Sage, do not seek to harm us. Life, or Fate, is not against us. An unpleasant situation is always compounded by mistrust and misunderstanding. When we let go of our inner defenses and return to an open-minded readiness to see events as instructive of higher meanings, the situation will right itself. We always need to be aware of the emotional perceptions urged on us by our childish heart."

On old (17th Century) offers a list of misunderstandings and closes with "not enemies but partners, going on, encountering rain, .... the relief is like clouds bursting into rain, resulting in good fortune."

A discussion from a few years back on this site: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=5118

Hopefully, once you gain a bit of clarity on the situation, what appears to be opposition will be revealed as essential to your growth.

all the best...

chucklesthegirl

visitor
Reaction score
Ah Ha!

Thank you, Elias!
Reading Anthony's text gave me some clarity there.

I think i understand. The 38.6 may refer to the initial hardships of getting accepted into the business school. It is a very competitive program and I may feel helpless and not exactly comfortable in the situation, like I am in the backseat of the situation (resulting 54 of the 38.6), but if I can manage stick with it and not see myself as an outsider (mud covered faces and wagon full of devils), then it could actually be a great benefit to me (marital suitor who will woo when the time is right). The degree could help give me more of a competitive edge or provide me with more professional contacts (the marriage metaphor again).

Is that Carol Anthony? I really do need to invest in some I Ching translation books.

Namaste!

chucklesthegirl

visitor
Reaction score
Hrm, I think the career responses are related to my daughter's father.

I asked when should I tell him that she and I are moving and got hex 7 as my answer.

Underground water that sustains the people....like a source of income....in this way can I march forward and wage a victorious fight if need be.

The career/job is essentially my ticket to freedom.

I also asked about the underlying issues at hand with my move to such and such city and got 24.1.2.4>40.

Line 4 is especially poignant for me since it describes a person surrounded by people that they're not too comfortable with but they do have a special friend who they are close to....my friend is trying to help me relocate by giving me information and helping me find an apartment.

Turning point, path of my dao (24) and deliverance/freedom (40)...and I have to accomplish this as if I were preparing for battle(7)...i.e. with great caution and well placed strategy.

Glad it is beginning to all make sense :)

PS it is interesting to note that I did a reading a few months ago about my friend that is helping me to move and got 24.2.3.4.5.6>1 as my answer.

I think Trojan was right when he said that this friendship is really important. Somehow he is going to help me find my path.

elias

visitor
Reaction score
Is that Carol Anthony? I really do need to invest in some I Ching translation books.

Yes-- Carol Anthony: A Guide to the I Ching. I see she has some other works out there, but I'm not familiar. Like most commentators, she has her own angle on things that sometimes works well, sometimes stretching to make a point, sometimes tediously repetitive, sometimes embarassingly insightful, often contrarian. For relationship issues she's excellent; for business decisions, perhaps not so much...

Nice to see that some sunlight's breaking for you on these issues.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).