...life can be translucent

Menu

fears about Gorge

mitra

visitor
Reaction score
dear friends

i've been working with the I ching for about 10 years now

the first time i consulted it i was with a coworker and our boss and we asked it about our future with the company that my boss owned. my boss got "Gorge" and ... two years later the company floundered, he died of a heart attack and the company dissolved.

since then I have a huge fear of hexagram Gorge. and I feel blocked in how I can work with it constructively. does anyone have any advice ?

thank you

m

water 0n earth

visitor
Reaction score
Mitra,

Would you please tell me what way did you use to form the Hexagram, and what month and year?

Thanks for your information in advance.

Water on Earth

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
dear friends

the first time i consulted it i was with a coworker and our boss and we asked it about our future with the company that my boss owned. my boss got "Gorge" and ... two years later the company floundered, he died of a heart attack and the company dissolved.

since then I have a huge fear of hexagram Gorge. and I feel blocked in how I can work with it constructively. does anyone have any advice ?

thank you

m

do you mean hexagram 29 ?

There was a 2 year gap between the question and him dieing so why would you think the 29 related to his death ? I don't find answers so long term....surely that 29 referred to what was happening then not 2 years later. Sounds like you took the answer as hard prediction...whereas anything could have happened in that 2 years.

29 is about staying awake and in touch because one can't rely on previous experience. Its risky in that sense...but no way is it a certain portent of death and failure.

S

sooo

dear friends

thank you

m

The danger of 29 lies with a repetitive pattern, such as precarious habits or edgy practices, i.e. practicing promiscuous unprotected sex, smoking, excessive drinking, poor diet, stress, any form of repetitive risk taking or compulsive disorder. Hopefully, we learn from it and make the needed corrections before it's too late, but just as easily, if not heeded, we can fall prey to its consequences.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi Mitra,

I'm curious but didn't you have any different cases of 29's meaning in the past 8 years since your boss' loss? I mean, you must have received 29 in other occasions and they did not end up that bad, right?

If 8 years of working with Yi haven't convinced you of 29's less dangerous sides I wonder whether what anyone here will tell you, can . . Perhaps asking about what causes your reaction to this hexagram, or how you can get over it could be more productive in this case?

Otherwise, the fear you mention could already be an example of 29 as -what Trojan and Bruce said before me- a set compulsive reaction. It could also be signaling that there still is something about your 29 experience you aren't letting go

just a couple of thoughts

S

sooo

I came back to add an addendum to what I wrote but was called away by other matters. My approach, above, was more or less a psychological or behavioral one, but there are very pragmatic and literal ones as well.

No single post, no matter how long, can cover every aspect of any hexagram. There are indeed up-sides to 29, which buffer the ominousness that 29 can portray. For example, the very nature of dealing with fear and worry can evoke a 29 response (as Dora mentioned). And if one is out to learn from ones experience, that too can be considered part of 29's message. Climbing a steep hill or mountain can be an exhilarating and eye opening experience, but so can falling off of one be. So can losing sleep to repeatedly studying for an exam.

Awhile back a septic tank service was here, trying to locate it, but without a 'snake cam' could not. I asked Yi where it was located and received 29. I asked what condition it was in, and Yi said 55. I went back out and told the workers that it is located deeper than they had been searching (they were told by county records that it was buried fairly shallow), and that it was filled completely. That's a dangerous and potentially very expensive situation to remedy if it overflows into the underground but shallow drainage field. The following day they returned again, and found it, considerably deeper than they were looking, and it was ready to overflow. They were shocked that I had located it and predicted its condition based solely on an oracle reading. Nothing philosophical or psychological about that, purely a matter of practical fact. The night before I called the company to come out, I dreamed it was about to overflow. I suppose one might consider that a 29 dream.

Context is key.

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Mitra,
Do you mean that literally the first time he consulted the I Ching the boss asked about the company and got 29 and sure enough, two years later he suffered a heart attack and died and the company ceased to exist? Wow! I can understand how you'd be a tad uneasy about Gorge. Actually I'm impressed you've dared to continue to consult the book at all!

As to how you can now look at 29 with fresh eyes and not immediately assume that receiving 29 means misfortune, I think you can best help yourself by reading more about this hexagram so you can more rationally evaluate what it is advising you in each different situation. The hexagrams usually give us a clue as to how one can avoid difficulties if we understand the nature of the times and adapt rather than resist. Perhaps if the boss had paid attention to what 29 was saying he might have recognized it as a heads up to not work so hard, to be satisfied with what was doable (29.5) rather than stressing himself into a heart attack. Instead it appears the warning became a self fulfilling prophecy, helping no one.

(On the other hand, sometimes the lines describe a situation where no changes are possible and the benefit is simply that it can be useful to know this in advance.)

Anyway, knowing more about the hexagram can help get you past the fear factor.

Another thing to consider is the attitude we bring to the consultation. If we are hoping for a certain outcome, then any answer that doesn't confirm our desire is interpreted as negative.
For myself when I get some "negative" reading - For example, 22.Grace always seems to be scolding me, admonishing me that what ever I'm contemplating is a campfire fantasy that wont hold up in the clear light of day. I now recognize that it appears negative because my own ego wanted things to be different. 22. Grace could be encouraging me to enjoy my pipe dream. Similarly, I assume you and the boss all wanted the reading to say the company had a long successful future ahead, so 29 seemed scary and negative. But if he could have pulled back and gotten centered, then the reading could have just been neutral information "You don't have to kill yourself making a success of this, you can move on if you choose because 'If you have success in your heart what ever you do succeeds.'" Seeing the calming advice in 29 might have proved beneficial.

Sometimes it helps to play devils advocate and ask yourself, "How can I read this as good news?" Just considering such an alternative viewpoint can help put you back in alignment.

Best wishes,
rosada

Last edited:

meerkats64

visitor
Reaction score
hexagram "gorge"

there are 64 hexagrams 1 to 64 different readers of i ching name them different so it would be wiser to refer to hexagram number you speak of (negative hexagrams like bad dreams should not induce panic & fear better to be forewarned dreams are not exact sciences but with hexagrams always having chance to change into other hexagrams try not to get weighed down by despair) maybe you are supersensitive psychic who when you see hexagram instantly can visualize what awaits you in the future. But the question is in spite of what you got you must ask yourself "what are you going to do?" i predicted that i would still get shoulder dislocations between 1998-2005 no matter how careful i was in june 2004 my shoulder dislocated in 2005 july november it went out twice i vowed to prevent it but it still happened+i was super cautious but after operation august 2006 it has never since then came back. do what it takes to sleep better at night put things in perspective change your diet visit doctors sometimes you can change your fate or sidestep it. worry does worsen situation change is inevitable as i ching says:bows:

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh this is an old thread...querant not here since April lol

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Trojan:

I agree that not all is bad in any hexagram, H.29 neither.

As a little sample, 29.3 begins with:

lai2: to come /
zhi1: ...'s // him / her / it // going to /
kan3: pit / hole /abyss / deep / trap // border / bank / edge // to sink / to go deep /
kan3: idem, but repeated 坎坎 means NOISE OF HANDSAWING WOOD, which, in turn, means TO SNORE, TO SLEEP DEEPLY and even TO MAKE LOVE.

Of course, the HANDSAW, the tool for cutting wood is the BEST FRIEND OF THE CARPENTER, say...

handsaw4.jpg

At: http://www.littleotsu.com/category/design-finds/books/

Nothing ominous, indeed.

Yours,

Charly

P.D.
Harmen Mesker said that KAN-KAN is the sound of DRUMMING.
See his article here: The Pit and the Drum
http://i-tjingcentrum.nl/serendipity/search/characters/P1.html

Ch.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)