...life can be translucent

Menu

Finding purpose

tess

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am tired of jobs that get me by and I want to feel satisfied with the work I am doing. I want to have a career that is fundamentally connected to me and the way I want to exist in the world. I don't want to feel as if I am checking out of myself while at work to get through the day, but I have had a lot of trouble trying to decide on a direction to take in this (schooling is a big investment). So I asked the I Ching "What kind of career is best for me to pursue?" 49.6 to 13
For clarification I asked "What kind of job does this describe?" 11.5 to 5

I'm not sure if these readings are describing jobs or just the frame of mind I need to have now. They both seem to say that I need to be happy with how things are and to live genuinely and humbly and not to force change but develop change within myself and to enjoy the journey. Hex 49 and 5 seem to say that I need to wait for good things to come and line 5 of hex 11 suggests that I need to be satisfied in a submissive or modest job position. 13 suggests working with people.

Can anyone see further into this? It would really mean a lot. Thank you.

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Although the kind of question you asked is a little tricky, I would venture to guess that a 49.6 describes working in a situation where one needs to adjust the nuts and bolts for people who have made a transition of some kind. What comes to mind is something like an Outplacement Firm, where displaced workers get help in creating resumes, learning interviewing skills, etc. Or, perhaps a Human Resources department where people are welcomed to a new position and shown the ropes, do their employment paperwork, get training for what they will be doing.

I see it as a place where you would actively work with people, assisting them with adjustment to a new situation. Even a Customer Service center that handles complaints, returns, exchanges, or instructions on newly purchased products.

Medical Technicians - x-ray depts, etc would also seem to fit here. The Medical field always needs personnel and is not so affected by economic downturns. Traing to be a technician is usually not too expensive.

I guess the possibilities are wide, but I would not see 49.6 as being a salesperson or an entrepreneur...11.5 is being very satisfied and well compensated in the employ of another.

Personal Assistant! another fitting category! Party Planner. Wedding Planner. Decorator.

tess

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply bamboo.

You are right on the money when you say "working in a situation where one needs to adjust the nuts and bolts for people who have made a transition of some kind". I am happiest when I can help smooth the edges in people's lives in all facets of being: emotional, mental, spiritual and practical, and where I can bring things together that are in harmony or find balance in things that are polar. It's just such a broad, abstract idea that I have been finding it difficult to find a career that is centered around this since I don't like being limited in the ways I can do this.

I have thought strongly about psychology but I have some doubts, I feel that it can be a very elitist profession and I am uncomfortable with the perception that therapists have some sort of intellectual "authority". I don't want to lead, I want to clear the path so they may find their own way. Also I am very holistic about an individual's well-being and feel psychology may be quite narrowly focused.

Receiving the hex Revolution really sprung out at me because I really want to work towards change in the world and very radical changes at that but the changing line (and hex 5 from the second reading) seem to say I must be happy with small changes and that there will be a lot of waiting for progress to come. I am fine with small/gradual progress because I feel the best and most effective way to deal with big transformation is through small steps but I am just confused about how I can assist in gradual progress practically or if it's even my place to do so. Perhaps I am not an agent of revolution but a bridge for the people between the old world and the new and that makes perfect sense to me but I don't know how to manifest this. Spot on, by the way, with this bamboo: "a place where you would actively work with people, assisting them with adjustment to a new situation".

That's why I asked about a specific job or position but I am pretty confused about hex 11 and the moving line. It talks about a marriage and being submissive. The only thing I can see here is a similarity to hex 54, which I receive in readings often enough, and I have come to the conclusion that it might not be entirely negative. Perhaps Marrying Maiden or Loveless Marriage (as I have sometimes seen it called) refers to a partnership where there is no romantic love and that is how it should be, such as people who share a mutual endeavor or companionship. Is this a fair interpretation? Is there another hex that more effectively represents partnership? Perhaps I need to work with others one-on-one or assist someone in a goal that I also wish to see fulfilled.

I am not interested in business, retail or economy at all but the medical field is appealing to me, although I couldn't be a nurse or a doctor, but a technician (as you mentioned bamboo), I could.

I suppose that hex 11>5 is saying that I just need to relax and enjoy the moment so that pressures and expectations don't get in the way of seeing genuine and positive opportunities, although I am still a little confused by this reading. Perhaps the I Ching left it wide open on purpose,

Thanks again bamboo.

iams girl

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to lead, I want to clear the path so they may find their own way. Also I am very holistic about an individual's well-being and feel psychology may be quite narrowly focused.

Psychology is a growing, changing field. Unless you have completely ruled out that option, it might still be worth considering. I googled holistic psychology and there are lots of sites. Also, lots for telepsychiatry. And that's only a couple of new areas...

S

sooo

The panther change of the junzi, by Harmen Mesker has some interesting facts and features to help understand 49.6 better. http://www.i-tjingcentrum.nl/serendipity/archives/92-the-panther-change-of-the-junzi.html

Follow nature is good, follow the will is not good. Therefore 征凶.居貞吉. A (planned, will-driven) journey would not do any good. Stay put and perform the divination at one's own place (that is where nature is) is good.

From this, I would examine your aptitude and nature, rather than attempt to plan according to other considerations. Get in touch with your junzi, and follow your true nature. That's the best way to join with others, and to find and follow your path.

Last edited:
S

sooo

Yesterday I visited a local dentist, a fairly young Chinese American. While he and his young dental assistant expertly restored my molar, they carried on an interesting discussion about his career choices, and how he wound up in a tiny southwest desert village. He'd schooled at Berkley and other respected Uni's, he'd worked in wold class cancer research facilities, he had the aptitude to choose any specialized medical field of his preference.

His story continued (thankfully taking my mind off that hideous drill sound): One day, while working at a famous research lab, while on lunch break with a coworker, he noticed a sign for free pizza for sitting through a seminar, promoting the benefits of entering the dentistry field. He and his friend thought, hey, free pizza! He had been considering becoming an ER doctor, but after hearing of how a dentist isn't always on call, can spend more time with their family than ER doctors, not be constantly tied to it, he chose to become a dentist.

Then there was a story about why he chose this place over metro areas, where he could make much more money. He seems content with his small but impeccable practice, and caters a great deal to children. Made me feel right at home, heh. His young dental assistant continued to inquire about his experience and choices pragmatically, obviously probing to help guide her own career path. It totally took my mind off what was going on inside my jaws.

Afterwards, we had a nice conversation about how he is here, at this place and moment with me, because of free pizza. We touched on Jung, Yijing and Dao de Jing, until his next appointment called him away. He thanked me for reminding him of core things. First trip to the dentist I've ever enjoyed. Whether he will stay or move on to more lucrative markets, I don't know, but for little ole Golden Valley's benefit, I hope he stays. He seems to be in his place, his dao, his skin.

PS: I later learned that his practice is no longer small after all, that he also owns a dental clinic in Kingman and Bullhead, but chooses to personally practice in tiny Golden Valley.

Last edited:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hexagram 5 is not only about waiting, it is most of all about needing. You wait for what you need, so maybe it is more useful to figure out how to get closer to what you need than to just sit down and wait.
The emperor in 11.5 makes a tie between two families by marrying off his sister to the father of King Wen. He was a politically smart man. No big effort or enterprise, he just used what was at hand: a sister of the right age. Many years later, when his own family had been chased away, the descendants of his sister still brought the sacrifices to him and his family members, their ancestors. In China being remembered after your death is very important. So that simple decision proved to be a great one.
I think the pizza of Sooo's story is an example of 11.5. Marrying off a young Pizza...

S

sooo

I think the pizza of Sooo's story is an example of 11.5. Marrying off a young Pizza...

:rofl:

"The spirit finds and makes harmony if he gives everything its right place and if necessary takes action to accomplish this. He connects the elements of life with each other and lays the foundations for prosperity and happiness."

:bows:

tess

visitor
Reaction score
Wow, so many replies! Thanks everyone!

Iams girl, I am still considering psychology most definitely. I guess I just need to do more research into the various directions it can take me or I can help take it, since I feel like its place in society needs to change. By biggest reservation is the idea of me charging people obscene amounts of money for my "expertise". I want to help all kinds of people regardless of how much money they make and there are all kinds of programs out there with all sorts of clientele so I will look into this more, for sure. Thanks so much for doing some research for me as well. :)

Soooo I really appreciate all the effort you've put into replying to me. I think you make a fantastic point when you say "I would examine your aptitude and nature, rather than attempt to plan according to other considerations. Get in touch with your junzi, and follow your true nature. That's the best way to join with others, and to find and follow your path." I feel a lot of pressure to move forward right now but I do think this line is trying to tell me something about my state of being - that following my true nature is the most fundamental thing required for my career - and I need to deal with this first instead of trying to analyze and direct my course of action. Your story about the dentist illustrates this idea very well; thank you for sharing it.

I also agree with you, heylise, that the story describes working with what's available and that little things can become great things down the road. I am trying my best to just follow nature, both outer and inner, but it's hard not to feel as if I am just wandering aimlessly, not getting anywhere or doing anything. So for now I will work on getting closer to what I need, as you say, because I want to make an effort.

I love that last quote of yours soooo. Can I apply for that position? :p

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).