...life can be translucent

Menu

Yi Ching and The Interracial Relationship: burning hot question!

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Yi Watchers:

I've gone and done it -- here I am new to you guys, and hoping to make a good impression, and here I go and ask a relationship analysis question :blush:

Briefly, it's about whether 23.3>52 can mean that someone who has shown a strong fascination with women of another race, but always married his own race, is making a decision to cross the Rubicon o' Love.

THE SITUATION

The Querent (me) is female. The Subject's a male. Male, whom we'll call Y, is highly conservative socially and ecomonically, but claims he is progressive and not a racist. He writes plays for Broadway. He has written many plays where people of a specific race are often shown in what members of that race feel is a consistently ugly and negative light. Y is divorced again after three unsuccessful marriages to women who share his race. Their shared race was not a factor; instead, sometimes different people just want different things -- and relationships are tough for anybody.

Female, whom we shall call me -- er, I mean X -- is a woman from another country who is a rising playwright and a member of the race Y has depicted negatively in his plays. X is considered stunningly beautiful (though she would definitely disagree!) and consistently attracts guys of Y's ethnic persuasion. Despite herself and the way he shows her people onstage, X thinks Y is cute and wants to learn more about him.

X has brazenly contacted Y's publicist and invited Y out for a newspaper interview over coffee to lure him closer and see how his mind ticks: whether he is actually racist or simply not interested. X's friends admire the craftsmanship of Y's plays but feel he is a bigot and will not reciprocate X's attraction. Yet X has an unshakable feeling Y would make a good match and that checking this is the correct thing to do.

X has learned Y Googled her and read a recent article about X in the New York Times that includes a very flattering color photograph. Not to generalize, but it seems that for men, physical attraction is all that is required to start a gentleman's engines, so if anything will lure him, that photo will. But did it? Will it?

THE CASTING

I asked, "Did Y find X physically attractive?"

Resulting Hexagram: 23
Moving line: 3

Hexagram 23 is usually translated as "Splitting Apart", and the title strikes dread in the beginning Yi student who hopes to pull a loved one closer. I'm in my forties, and I have a different take. I've come to The Pool of Online Clarity Wisdom to see if any wiser minds agree with my analysis or think I'm wrong as wrong ever was. I think this Hexagram does not say, "He finds you repulsive because you are the wrong race" but rather:

"Something about you has awakened the desire in this man to stop living his life as a lie and come out in the open about an attraction that has long secretly tormented him. Seeing your photo has made him think It's time for him to go after what he wants and has always wanted, and he thinks you may be the woman to help him do it. He's long been attracted to women of your background, and he realizes he is not getting any younger and needs to live his life the way he really wants to, now, despite what others think, before it ends. He's making a decision to maybe emerge from 'the closet' and date your kind in the open and tell the world what it can do with its disapproval."

AND WHERE I GOT THIS CONCLUSION

Here's LiSe's translation of 23.3:

"6 at 3: Stripping it. Without fault.

To be yourself, living your own life, making your own decisions, you have to break away from all those people (inside or outside) who tell you how to live. Or even without saying anything, expect you to live according to their views. Even if you choose an absurd life - so what? It is your life."

Leading to 53: Resistance

"Find back the roots of your essential being."

Dreamhawk down in Australia interprets 23.3 as Shedding:

"If there is to be activity, let it be that of shedding what is no longer necessary, of dropping activities only habit keeps alive. Rely only on what can sustain itself through the period of stripping away [...] Even those close may depart and be lost. Who or what is to be trusted? Only that which remains when all else falls away [...] To stand outside all one relied upon for support and expression is to feel naked and alone. Nevertheless it breeds great strength. Look beyond fears and doubts to wisdom of spirit."

Y's plays are often, according to interviews with him and the critiques of those plays, thinly veiled autobiographies. He put an interracial scene with a woman of my national heritage in all of them. In the most famous one, he depicted himself asking one out, then panicking wondering what his friends would say, and standing her up. Shortly after, his character undergoes a violent attack and he reflects in guilt, making it appear the attack was divine punishment.

At the same time, other stage characters of his use offensive names for people of my heritage, and our men are all shown as criminals, and often hanged or shot, which is troubling. As a playwright too I understand what we depict our characters doing does not always reflect what we ourselves believe as writers or people, so I am giving him a little latitude. However, all his wives have been white, so that worries me. He could just be a highly conflicted bigot and I could be opening myself up for some real hurt.

His two closest male buddies are both married to women of my ethnicity! One, and his wife of another race, became a new father two days ago. He was present at the birth and saw in front of him clear proof an interracial relationship can work and that the off-spring are human.

THE HOT BURNING QUESTION O' LOVE:

Is 23.3 an indication Y is having a John Lennon/Yoko Ono moment now that he knows what I look like, and he's beginning to think I'm his "girl with kaleidoscope eyes"?

Or is 23.3 saying, "Racist. Get over him"?

Love,
Your Brambledeetoady

Last edited:

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Yi Watchers:

I've gone and done it -- here I am new to you guys, and hoping to make a good impression, and here I go and ask a relationship analysis question :blush:

Briefly, it's about whether 23.3>52 can mean that someone who has shown a strong fascination with women of another race, but always married his own race, is making a decision to cross the Rubicon o' Love.

THE SITUATION

The Querent (me) is female. The Subject's a male. Male, whom we'll call Y, is highly conservative socially and ecomonically, but claims he is progressive and not a racist. He writes plays for Broadway. He has written many plays where people of a specific race are often shown in what members of that race feel is a consistently ugly and negative light. Y is divorced again after three unsuccessful marriages to women who share his race. Their shared race was not a factor; instead, sometimes different people just want different things -- and relationships are tough for anybody.

Female, whom we shall call me -- er, I mean X -- is a woman from another country who is a rising playwright and a member of the race Y has depicted negatively in his plays. X is considered stunningly beautiful (though she would definitely disagree!) and consistently attracts guys of Y's ethnic persuasion. Despite herself and the way he shows her people onstage, X thinks Y is cute and wants to learn more about him.

X has brazenly contacted Y's publicist and invited Y out for a newspaper interview over coffee to lure him closer and see how his mind ticks: whether he is actually racist or simply not interested. X's friends admire the craftsmanship of Y's plays but feel he is a bigot and will not reciprocate X's attraction. Yet X has an unshakable feeling Y would make a good match and that checking this is the correct thing to do.

X has learned Y Googled her and read a recent article about X in the New York Times that includes a very flattering color photograph. Not to generalize, but it seems that for men, physical attraction is all that is required to start a gentleman's engines, so if anything will lure him, that photo will. But did it? Will it?

THE CASTING

Hexagram 23 is usually translated as "Splitting Apart", and the title strikes dread in the beginning Yi student who hopes to pull a loved one closer. I'm in my forties, and I have a different take. I've come to The Pool of Online Clarity Wisdom to see if any wiser minds agree with my analysis or think I'm wrong as wrong ever was. I think this Hexagram does not say, "He finds you repulsive because you are the wrong race" but rather:

"Something about you has awakened the desire in this man to stop living his life as a lie and come out in the open about an attraction that has long secretly tormented him. Seeing your photo has made him think It's time for him to go after what he wants and has always wanted, and he thinks you may be the woman to help him do it. He's long been attracted to women of your background, and he realizes he is not getting any younger and needs to live his life the way he really wants to, now, despite what others think, before it ends. He's making a decision to maybe emerge from 'the closet' and date your kind in the open and tell the world what it can do with its disapproval."

AND WHERE I GOT THIS CONCLUSION

Here's LiSe's translation of 23.3:

"6 at 3: Stripping it. Without fault.

To be yourself, living your own life, making your own decisions, you have to break away from all those people (inside or outside) who tell you how to live. Or even without saying anything, expect you to live according to their views. Even if you choose an absurd life - so what? It is your life."

Leading to 53: Resistance

"Find back the roots of your essential being."

Dreamhawk down in Australia interprets 23.3 as Shedding:

"If there is to be activity, let it be that of shedding what is no longer necessary, of dropping activities only habit keeps alive. Rely only on what can sustain itself through the period of stripping away [...] Even those close may depart and be lost. Who or what is to be trusted? Only that which remains when all else falls away [...] To stand outside all one relied upon for support and expression is to feel naked and alone. Nevertheless it breeds great strength. Look beyond fears and doubts to wisdom of spirit."

Y's plays are often, according to interviews with him and the critiques of those plays, thinly veiled autobiographies. He put an interracial scene with a woman of my national heritage in all of them. In the most famous one, he depicted himself asking one out, then panicking wondering what his friends would say, and standing her up. Shortly after, his character undergoes a violent attack and he reflects in guilt, making it appear the attack was divine punishment.

At the same time, other stage characters of his use offensive names for people of my heritage, and our men are all shown as criminals, and often hanged or shot, which is troubling. As a playwright too I understand what we depict our characters doing does not always reflect what we ourselves believe as writers or people, so I am giving him a little latitude. However, all his wives have been white, so that worries me. He could just be a highly conflicted bigot and I could be opening myself up for some real hurt.

His two closest male buddies are both married to women of my ethnicity! One, and his wife of another race, became a new father two days ago. He was present at the birth and saw in front of him clear proof an interracial relationship can work and that the off-spring are human.

THE HOT BURNING QUESTION O' LOVE:

Is 23.3 an indication Y is having a John Lennon/Yoko Ono moment now that he knows what I look like, and he's beginning to think I'm his "girl with kaleidoscope eyes"?

Or is 23.3 saying, "Racist. Get over him"?

Love,
Your Brambledeetoady

I would read 23.3 as to do with you and your world; not him and his. No matter what you read in the newspaper or read into his plays -- what can you really know about this guy? What you should know is yourself. For instance, why do you think YOU would be attracted to HIM -- let alone care if he sees something special in you? Why is he any authority on anything or anyone?

Hexagram 23.3 would indicate to me that you should cease to put this racial feature into every aspect of your life. Be yourself. Be YOU. Colour is one of a million features that define a person. You seem a bit fixated on that particular one, so quit playing the race card and don't expect other people to. And if they do -- strip them away too. Who needs it? What a passe idea prejudice is!

Hexagram 23.3 says to me -- I love you just the way you are and you need to love yourself just as you are. There is nothing wrong, less, or to be overcome, you are enough, you are perfect. So stop trying to gather reactions, responses, or capture the attention of one guy you've picked out of the crowd who you speculate might be the most diffcult to convince that race isn't important. Why him? Maybe because the one you most need to convince is yourself and if you can play this game on him then you will believe it too? Strip away that insecurity. Get rid of it first and foremost.

Hexagram 23.3 says: You be you -- let the rest of world be who they are going to be. If you're going to meet up with him, meet as any woman meeting any man. The rest is unimportant. Which makes perfect sense as a casting in this situation.

After all -- Isn't that really your message -- that race doesn't matter? That this is an issue we need to "strip away" and dispense with? Aren't you saying that i's neither necessary nor smart to view people through that single, narrow lens? Then live that way from the ground up. You be convinced first and teach sceptics by means of your absolute confidence. Don't even THINK it's OK to be a bigot.

Hexagram 52 would say to me, do this is in a state of calm assurance and see what happens.

:hug: Arabella

Last edited:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Arabella. I appreciate your taking time to respond.

Last edited:

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Arabella. I appreciate your taking time to respond. I just want to briefly reply, though, a couple of important things.

I live in America. America is not a post-racial nation and we are not in a post-racial time. Racism is at its highest level here since the early 1960s. I am affected by it in ways you, being white, cannot even imagine much less safely comment on. It's not something that consumes my "entire life", nor am I "fixated" on it. It's a component of two questions I asked the Yi in a two week period where white Americans in my immediate environment are the ones "fixated" on it, and where my attention has been forced to it by their bigoted statements and behavior. Not all prejudice is conscious or intentional. A lot of it is unconscious and accidental.

Telling someone to "not use the race card", by the way, is racist. It's using a race card also: the white race card. It says, "Your suffering makes me uncomfortable; therefore, I censor your ability to mention it. Go suffer elsewhere and do not make me uncomfortable." Intentional or not, not cool. If you disagree, substitute for a moment my being gay or lesbian and commenting on homophobia and how it has affected my life, and your being straight and telling me basically to "shut up and get over it"; or being a rape survivor (which I am, btw), and you being a male and saying to stop talking about my experience on a public forum I have every right to share it in. Is it right to tell a gay person not to fixate on homophobia? Or to pretend it isn't happening and be quiet about it? Or a rape survivor?

So then why is it for people of color?

Friendly conclusion: just because you might wish it were a post-racial society, if you are white, and other people who are not white say that it is not one yet, then it is not one yet. And as someone who has been victimized by people who are indeed very much fixated on what race I am, I have the right to ask the Yi how that fixation might again or might not -- yet again - affect my aspirations, my hopes, and my dreams.

Is it that I am just being kind of told "not on this forum, however"? And should it not be, then, Hilary to tell me that for sure?

Not "starting something" by any means -- but just a bit put off by the statements implying I'm fixated on race when I'm merely asking how race will affect me, because for the past two weeks racism has been on the rise where I LIVE.

Racism can sometimes kill here in America. Do I not have the right to ask how something potentially lethal -- and certainly soul killing -- will or might affect me, yet again?

All other points in your response were lovely, and I'll meditate on them and am grateful for them. Thank you once again, dear Arabella. :hug:

What makes you think that I do not share your problem of being an utter and obvious minority in my situation, one of a hated group who has to struggle upstream every day? I would guess it's to my credit that you don't know why, after reading so many posts from me on here, this is even a problem in my situation. I've been refused work and the first place I lived here was told by the movers I was lucky that the townspeople didn't block the street and prevent me from moving in.

There is just one reason that it doesn't utterly consume my life and that IS inherent in Hexagram 23.3 -- which is what you asked about and what I told you about. That line says to live your life and love yourself and, even if it looks wrong, crazy, degraded or insane to others -- this is you -- love it -- or at least appreciate its specialness, and don't let anybody tout you off your difference or make you feel less for it. it's something I cope with every single day of my life and have for years now. I refuse not to be proud of who and what I am, and I completely encourage anybody else to feel the same, including my three children who live with the same stigma. What I HOPE I offered to you was encouragement, not criticism. The reading of the line I feel was done in good faith and is correct in the circumstances. You've done two posting on here in which you seem to constantly put yourself down and define yourself by this single dimension of race. I think the Yi is clearly saying: don't.

themis

visitor
Reaction score
OOOhhh DEAR ... I wouldn't say Brambletoad constantly puts herself down or that she defines herself by that single factor.

Last edited:

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
Goodness. As with everything else, you can't stop or control people being racist, prejudiced, bigoted and unfair. What you can control is your own reaction and how it affects you. So 23.3 is a counsel to get rid of everything that is rotten, which in the context of your question could mean that he finds you attractive in spite of the fact you are of the race that he finds uncomfortable to be close to.

While racial intolerance is definitely a bad thing in a social context, I would have to say that on a personal level, it tends to show that the 'other' is not 'one of us' and if someone finds it difficult to see themselves dating/marrying someone of the different race, then they shouldn't be forced to change their opinion to suit the popular belief of what is socially acceptable. Even if they, themselves, want to. Their conditioning may be simply too deep for it to work. And also, nobody should marry anybody just to prove a point.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
It is a great insight, I think, PG has here that some people just can't see past the neighbours. In some places we've lived we've had more friends until someone made a vocal issue about our background -- and then suddenly it was more popular to despise us. You can't predict where these things will turn up and we happen to live somewhere [and like many other things about it], despite the fact we are "unpopular" to say the least.

There are degrees of prejudice too. I'd never been spit on until I came here, or had mud thrown at my windscreen. It's scarey and worse of all it was scarey for my children. But if you don't react, as PG is saying, the "rotten" behaviour and who is creating the chaos becomes obvious. And beyond that, you can become part of community groups, even sponsor them, and literally love your enemies - it confuses the bejesus out of them. Teach tolerance. It is the most effective of all.

S

sooo

Dear Brambletoad,

Well, there's been too much stripping by way of editing out written content to comment on the discussion of racism and such, however returning to the original question and IC's answer, I'd break it down to two possibilities, and possibly both may apply. Maybe neither. Anyway, these are my impressions.

THE CASTING

My first impression: If the IC answered your question directly and literally, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment that Y may be tempted to 'strip' his circle of friends' and admirers' impressions, and yield to something within his core, which includes sexual or physical attraction to X. It might even refer to stripping the color of skin as a consideration, which is, I think, an interesting consideration. This first impression would be taking Wilhelm's commentary on line 3 literally:

An individual finds himself in an evil environment to which he is
committed by external ties. But he has an inner relationship with a superior
man, and through this he attains the stability to free himself from the way of
the inferior people around him. This brings him into opposition to them of
course, but that is not wrong.

52 within this context could imply a refusal to be moved by public opinion and to remain true to his inner core, which 23 has unveiled through stripping the outer layers to his true feelings.

My second impression speaks directly to you about your question, rather than replying to your question. In which case, it would be saying to strip away the layers of your own desire to attract Y, to reach your core or the root of your question. (Yi is quite infamous for casting ones question upon the questioner). Furthermore, advising to be still about the matter, and letting things take their course without further involvement or thought from X on this matter. Letting it go.

Finally, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that both applications may apply simultaneously. God works in mysterious ways, so it is said.

It sounds as if it may itself make for an interesting story.

Last edited:

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Brambletoad,

Well, there's been too much stripping by way of editing out written content to comment on the discussion of racism and such, however returning to the original question and IC's answer, I'd break it down to two possibilities, and possibly both may apply. Maybe neither. Anyway, these are my impressions.

My first impression: If the IC answered your question directly and literally, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment that Y may be tempted to 'strip' his circle of friends' and admirers' impressions, and yield to something within his core, which includes sexual or physical attraction to X. It might even refer to stripping the color of skin as a consideration, which is, I think, an interesting consideration. This first impression would be taking Wilhelm's commentary on line 3 literally:

52 within this context could imply a refusal to be moved by public opinion and to remain true to his inner core, which 23 has unveiled through stripping the outer layers to his true feelings.

My second impression speaks directly to you about your question, rather than replying to your question. In which case, it would be saying to strip away the layers of your own desire to attract Y, to reach your core or the root of your question. (Yi is quite infamous for casting ones question upon the questioner). Furthermore, advising to be still about the matter, and letting things take their course without further involvement or thought from X on this matter. Letting it go.

Finally, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that both applications may apply simultaneously. God works in mysterious ways, so it is said.

Agreeing with Sooo, I also considered these two possibilities, but felt that the second interpretation would be more likely. That is, the enquiry that was done here is on the order of the "How does he feel about me" questions that often turn up on the forum and there's a lot of debate if it's a legitimate thing to ask and how direct an answer you can achieve. I've done it, I've asked the same type of question, but am always aware that the prevalent opinion on Clarity is that it's not a good idea. And I think it's logical that most often [and most usefully] the Yi directs its reply to my inner-workings and not "his."

And I think this goes back to what PG was saying. The only feelings, responses, behaviours, reactions you can work on are your own. Not his, not society's. And likewise the only casting you can validate, that can really hit home, ring true, and make a difference, is the one directed straight at you and within your control to take on board and interpret into your life.

I appreciate the Yi's head-on approach to my various sensitivities and foibles in these situations, although I might at first feel a bit stung at the oblique reply. However, the benefit becomes obvious on realising that I've been given the maximum amount of insight and material to work with rather than the rather meaningless and out-of-context "sneak peek" at someone else's private attitudes that I asked for.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
BTW Brambletoad, Hexagrm 23.3 is also saying what you said to me -- that's not it, that's not what I feel and your answer doesn't speak to the issue I'm addressing. It's fine. It's a discussion. It's an attempt to help you find what you need to know from your casting. I don't have to be "right" and others will continue to contribute opinions that may better give you what you need to know. The sense of this forum, to me at least, is that the discussion evolves and, hopefully, something fits. And the ultimate idea is that you get your own method and style of reading what you cast. Everyone who contributes will view this out of their experience in life and with the Yi and whatever of that is useful to you -- GREAT.

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Required reading on the "bad question" question: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frien...ad.php?t=12642

This is about predictive questions and also questions like the one here that ask the Yi to read somebody's mind/'behaviour for purposes of a relationship question. It was just posted on another link by Elias and seems to apply mightily here as well. Gives insight into what types of questions work best and which are perceived not to.

One of the really perceptive contributions to that link by el_2, that says a whole lot for the purposes of this one:

Ultimately, for me, the most useful way to use the oracle has been to focus on my self and my self-development. Of course, I ask different kinds of questions, like asking for a description of a situation, etc. but I can only work on my self or control my self and not others, not my environment. I can affect them perhaps through inner change in an interactive kind of way but I cannot manipulate them nor would I want to.

Last edited:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
I was upset at first by your response, Arabella, but then meditated on it and found it quite sound, which is why I removed my initial statements and truncated them to the more graceful and truthful reply. My mother has a saying, "What strikes to the core will ring the bell," and you sure rang my bell with your insights. At first I thought you were glossing over a very serious problem in America. Then I realized my seeing it as a serious problem is actually the real problem. I think the Yi may want me to learn to disempower the sharp spear of racism by laughing at it, poking fun at it; but the first step in so doing is to stop allowing it to be so painful and powerful. Once you see the bogeyman as a pile of clothes in the corner of your darkened bedroom, THEN you are brave enough to get out of bed, cross the room, and switch on the light.

Does that make sense?

At any rate, I want to thank you again, Arabella, for a reading so clear and insightful it startles the unawakened mind at first. Once the student is awake, his eyes are open and he can see the text.

Thank you to everyone else for your comments, responses and insights as well. Does anyone agree with me Arabella's initial response may have been straight from the Yi like "Shock", or lightning?

Ara, are you plugged into the Yi Well over there? How many amps is that, is it safe? :mischief:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Brambletoad,

Exactly as Arabella said. Please see my latest reply below. I think she was so close to the truth of the matter it startled me! :footinmouth:

arabella

visitor
Reaction score

Exactly as Arabella said. Please see my latest reply below. I think she was so close to the truth of the matter it startled me! :footinmouth:

Brambletoad you are extremely brave. I thought maybe in a couple years some new situation would surface that demonstrates what I was trying to explain and you'd say -- OH, that's what that Arabella was talking about. You are rapid-fire. To encompass any truth you have to admit it's the truth to your deepest self and, in my experience at least, the way through that is like a death. Shock, numbness, compromises and negotiation meant to escape the fact, fear, anger, and finally acceptance. Intellect has a lot to do, I'm told with how much you can cut to the chase and arrive at the core in a few brisk steps.

Reality hits hard and it hits you right between the eyes. It certainly did me when, for the first time in my life, I had to face vicious prejudice and see it meted out to my children whom I love to bits. Whereas I'd tried all my life to be tolerant, to be fair and unprejudiced with any minorities, I was suddenly on the receiving end of bias that left me reeling, that cut to the core in a foreign place where I knew no one -- and that I'd never expected. It took intense meditation and prayer to decide that the only way to cope was to rise higher, faster, than the hatred. And it has worked. So that nobody could push my buttons, I removed them. I have no "buttons."

We are all here to learn, that's what life is for. I can't dictate what anybody else's issues or challenges will be -- I only know my own. I know my biggest weaknesses: my pride and ego. Put them to the side and I'm infinitely stronger than hatred. Those advances are the ones I keep from this lifetime, that go with me to the next world, and I treasure them above all else. The people who hate will have to confront their own weaknesses -- that's their job.

I say, meet your man and know that you are easily his equal. If he doesn't see that, then you're way too much woman for him.:hug:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Arabella. I believe in reincarnation and Earth being a school environment, too. I'm sad you had to see and experience prejudice. But you removed your buttons, and that's my task now. I gave bigotry far too much importance, and that empowers it. You were plugged straight into the Yi and the truth was as clear and bracing as a cool, refreshing drink of water. I now feel prepared to begin the next level and get this knot untangled and out of my psyche.

The proof will be in the pudding, however! I do not expect this to be easy... but maybe it will be!

Ditto on the guy. He's lost several wonderful, amazingly powerful women in his past, so the prognosis for him understanding or being attracted to be is not good. I am already preparing to ask the Yi what I need to do, to develop myself and attract a suitable partner instead of someone I need to "convince". And that's exactly what you were advising the entire time.

Thank you :smile:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Oops. Correction: "attracted to ME", not be... but isn't that an interesting slip of the typing finger.

"Be."

Arabella, STOP USING YOUR PSYCHIC POWERS ON OTHER USERS' FINGERS ON THE FORUM. :mischief:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Sunfit, it's okay. I understand what Ara was saying. Darn internets - they sometimes make cloudy what is meant clear. Thank you for responding to my question, though... if you read this thread through to the end, you'll probably be as amazed as I am at how the Yi leads you deeper and deeper than you initially thought the first answer was. Arabella however hit it on first swing, and me being grumpy and crabby, I thought it was a foul ball when in fact it was a homerun!

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Brambletoad,

The above divination and interpretation is quite yummy, and you may rest assured I am reading and re-reading it all with much gusto! I feel a bit like Cookie Monster, "Nom nom nom nom..." :rofl: I see your interpretation as the Yi going, "Oh [sigh] very well, you silly girl, here is the strict romantic answer to your question," and Arabella's interpretation as the Yi then saying, "Right [as you Brits say], now that's out of the way, here is what you should also be paying attention to, and will serve you in the long term more than this particular handsome silly person and his 'attentions' will."

I appreciate you both, and Sunfit too. Your wisdom here is a great gift, and I will print out all these responses and keep them in my purse for study this week and coming month. :bows:

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Arabella. I believe in reincarnation and Earth being a school environment, too. I'm sad you had to see and experience prejudice. But you removed your buttons, and that's my task now. I gave bigotry far too much importance, and that empowers it. You were plugged straight into the Yi and the truth was as clear and bracing as a cool, refreshing drink of water. I now feel prepared to begin the next level and get this knot untangled and out of my psyche.

The proof will be in the pudding, however! I do not expect this to be easy... but maybe it will be!

Ditto on the guy. He's lost several wonderful, amazingly powerful women in his past, so the prognosis for him understanding or being attracted to be is not good. I am already preparing to ask the Yi what I need to do, to develop myself and attract a suitable partner instead of someone I need to "convince". And that's exactly what you were advising the entire time. Thank you :smile:

Exactly, even as a powerful person you don't always have to choose the "challenge." It's perfectly OK to pick the one who chooses you out the crowd because he sees right away that you are amazing.:hug:

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Update: He turned the invitation down, so there will be no meeting. Oh well. What this does, though, is bring into greater clarity that I need never prove my worth to anyone or try to convince them of my value, talent, or beauty. I've had a lifelong habit of that, and no more.

From now on, all the lovely things I was planning to hand over to him, I will be pouring into myself. And I'll be more famous than he is, more successful, and happier as a result.

Thanks everyone for your responses! See? Some of us do update you on how things turned out! :mischief:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Yi Watchers:

Brambledeetoady

If hes famous as a playwright and you have described what he writes about then surely his anonymity is hardly concealed here...or yours for that matter. Just wondered if it concerned you that surely someone here will know of this person and you if you are both so famous and in newspapers and we have an outline of his plays (which sound to me like curiously dated plays about marriage between races. I mean whats the big deal its not 1952 its 2012 is this really any kind of issue at all these days ? I don't know

Theres alot of information here and generally people prefer to safeguard the anonymity of those they write about. If anyone was interested they could easily find out who this guy is....and also you are making him out to be a racist in a rather convoluted way.

Just wondered if you were aware of that...presumably you are. I've no interest in checkingout who he is but there are those who might and might drop him a line about your allegations about him

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
you know I'm just thinking of the whole facebook culture. when you give that much detail about a well known person apparently in the public eye...as you yourself are then how is there any anonymity ? I mean maybe he refused the invitation because he could see what you wrote about on here. Unless there are lots and lots of Broadway playwrights who write about the stuff you describe.

gato

visitor
Reaction score
looks like Yi is contradicting basic math where X+Y=Z, here X+Y doesn;t seem to add up

brambletoad

visitor
Reaction score
Trojan... what makes you think I did not change specific details? For one thing, he is not a Broadway playwright. If you must know, neither of us writes plays. I disguised what both of us do for a living for exactly the reason you postulated.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojan... what makes you think I did not change specific details? For one thing, he is not a Broadway playwright. If you must know, neither of us writes plays. I disguised what both of us do for a living for exactly the reason you postulated.

Ah I see :eek:uch:

so you and he could be anything at all and aren't playwrights...its just that being playwrights (am I spelling that right) seemed fairly central to the question here. He wrote plays about people of your race (and you were also going to hunger strike for that cause , the oppression of your race ) and you contacted his publicist to interview him since you found out he'd googled you after your photograph was in the New York Times ( I take it your picture wasn't in the NYT then...?)

But you and he could be anything, bakers for example....or refuse collectors....or anything and we just have to transpose the issues of race and publicity, photographs in the press and so on to a different area of work.

Its not easy though I expect clever people will be able to do it. I can't :D

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
thanks a bit of peace is always nice :D

to be perfectly honest I didn't believe that scenario you described for one second, I thought it was a complete work of fiction, it didn't ring true at all.

So I'm happy that you acknowlege yes it was fiction overlaying a real situation to disguise it to protect anonymity

From my own POV though I find it hard to seriously answer such an obviously fictional query because I like to learn from questions here and their answers...and if the answer bears no relation to a fictional question its a bit of a futile exersize IMO

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
IOW it troubled me this was obvious fiction you were presenting and appealing for help with but i didn't want to be rude and say that so I'm glad its cleared up that it was fiction for a reason

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
IOW it troubled me this was obvious fiction you were presenting and appealing for help with but i didn't want to be rude and say that so I'm glad its cleared up that it was fiction for a reason

Hi T., I'm aware that others felt this was a bogus thread with me being led down the garden path to answer. It's interesting that somebody can fabricate so much detail -- and even more interesting that anyone feels compelled to do it. As you say it doesn't add to, but seriously detracts from. the value of the reading as a part of history here. As we know on the Shared Readings forum, sometimes the entire question is hypothetical because the person writing has fictionalised everything about themselves and the "dilemma" they present is nonexistent. They are having us on or spending a rainy afternoon for their own enntertainment.

As it was I who invested primarily in this thread and supposedly provided the "revelation" that was needed I guess I'll just say that I read for the lines and for the integrity of what I feel that the Yi is indicating in the circumstances described, to the best of my ability. Knowing now that it was a bogus scenario I guess Hilary will have to decide if this is worth retaining for the archives because "Stripping Away" might have been referring to the mask that was being worn in placing this on the Forum in the first place.

It's not the first time this has happened that someone expresses such a fascination or admiration as a long-time lurker and then goes to spectacular lengths to weave a story, all the while telling us flat-out that they write fiction -- well maybe we should take that modus operandi more seriously. Some of those have come back again and again with varied elaborate identities to play the same trick many times.

It is a great feature of Clarity that all are welcome and taken at face value and a shame when this isn't respected. We can all read the lines and don't mind teaching what we know but this does raise the question whether Shared Readings as a free feature has much value.:hug:Arabella

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).