Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
The question: "What is the I Ching's view of life after death?"
Using the coin method and Wilhem's translation I got Hexigram #41 "Decrease" with 4 moving lines. This transformed #41 into Hexigram #32 "Duration". According to Zhu Xi's rules concerning 4 moving lines in a hexigram the ruling line is nine in the second place in the transformed hexigram (#32) Which reads "Remorse Disappears"
I interpret the answer this way.
Decrease is the dying process moving into the next phase which is Duration. A definition given in the commentaries for duration is "that which always is." So we continue to exist. Reading many near death experiences people say once they transitioned to the other side they are quite happy and do not want to return to their life here. This would of course be "remorse disappears" a happy state which agrees with the NDEs.
Now perhaps I am way over simplifying this for I have ignored all the judgments and images and commentaries because I could not see how they applied to my question. I am satisfied that I have gotten a simple and direct answer to my inquiry. However I would like to ask the forum:
Is it appropriate to take only what seems to apply?
Can we work with only the hexigram itself if we feel it is answering the question? How do others feel about this life after death question and the answer that I have received?
Thank you
Using the coin method and Wilhem's translation I got Hexigram #41 "Decrease" with 4 moving lines. This transformed #41 into Hexigram #32 "Duration". According to Zhu Xi's rules concerning 4 moving lines in a hexigram the ruling line is nine in the second place in the transformed hexigram (#32) Which reads "Remorse Disappears"
I interpret the answer this way.
Decrease is the dying process moving into the next phase which is Duration. A definition given in the commentaries for duration is "that which always is." So we continue to exist. Reading many near death experiences people say once they transitioned to the other side they are quite happy and do not want to return to their life here. This would of course be "remorse disappears" a happy state which agrees with the NDEs.
Now perhaps I am way over simplifying this for I have ignored all the judgments and images and commentaries because I could not see how they applied to my question. I am satisfied that I have gotten a simple and direct answer to my inquiry. However I would like to ask the forum:
Is it appropriate to take only what seems to apply?
Can we work with only the hexigram itself if we feel it is answering the question? How do others feel about this life after death question and the answer that I have received?
Thank you