...life can be translucent

Menu

Fan Yao

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Hello :bows:
I come here not nearily enough, but when I do, I learn so much.
This happened to me perhaps one time only, so I wonder if somebody experianced could put some more light on how to understand Fun Yao when it comes as in this case:

What will be the difference in that person`s understanding of my points in this letter?
I got 60.4<58
Then asked what I can or should do in order to put this commmunication back on its feet?
I got 58.4<60
Thank you :bows:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This is just about the two lines here, not a reading for your question. You can take it from here.

Both lines talk about security, peace, serenity, rest. In 58.4 the word 寧 Ning2 is used, in 60,4 the word 安 An1. But the words are synonymous here.

60.4 attains it because it begins with the limitations of the situation as it is. This is similar to wanting what you have or loving what you do.

58.4 fails to attain it. It begins with where it wants to be and fusses over how to attain it, counting and weighing this and that in order to get there. It needs to settle down first and appreciate what it begins with. Happiness is not a goal - it's an indication that you are in the right place.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks,
regarding to my question, I understood that the recieving part is contented with the way things are, not attempting to change it and I am fussing about something that should be left alone.
But my main interest was about wether there is some sort of a rule or stressing point to this Fan Yao occuring in readings for opposite sides example...are they supposed to show morroring situation, or stress the opposites or something in that kind of a way...?

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think it says to find a comprehension that sees the problems from both directions simultaneously.

Clarification on 60.4 - it doesn't say one is content with things the way they are, merely that one is content with the limitations of starting there, or simply with being grounded in reality, or being present.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
So Fan Yao can be seen as simultaneous going ons on opposite sides?
And it should be taken in an account more often to clarify... (having problems with opening my files and haven`t red your book throughout, so can`t recall if there was a chapter on this, sorry if you have to repeat yourself)
Thank you, but still feels if one finds to be ok with bounderies placed bythemselves in the 1st place, the fussy one from 58.4 doesn`t seem to make much progress.
Ah well....

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So Fan Yao can be seen as simultaneous going ons on opposite sides?

Only since you have drawn both of them in adjacent readings.Otherwise I don't use them in divination. Normally, I would just use one of the pair to help me understand what the other one says.

Reaction score
Hi Dragona and Bradford,

I am trying to understand Fan Yao too and have questions.

Is it to include in your reading, what Hilary calls on Wikiwing, the zhi? Even if there are multiple changing lines, to include and give thought to the channels created by each line? To create mini branches off of each line as if they were their own reading? And then even reverse that channel?

I Googled "Fan Yao" because I don't understand. The first thing to come up is a past post from Clarity: http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=2808. This link sparked these questions.

Take care,
AQ

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The term Fan Yao 反爻 is my own coinage, and to a degree it has become my problem child. It means "the line in reverse" or "line coming back."
The Zhi Gua is the GUa that the Original or Ben Gua changes to when that particular line changes. The meaning of the line is sort of part way between the two, an interpolation. The Fan Yao or line coming back is too, but moving in the opposite direction. It was never intended to be used in divination, but I do believe that the original authors considered it when writing the text. Like most of their rules, however, they didn't use it all of the time. But when they did , the two lines will share the kernel of an idea, a word or an image, as in the example below. This often explains some particularly obscure reference or bit of a text. I list a bunch of examples in my Volume Two, Dimensions, under Gua Bian or Hexagram Changes. The underlined numbers indicate explanatory footnotes in Volume One to give the reader a practical handle on the idea,

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I use Brad's problem child in divination, but only in the sense that it helps me to understand the answer - not that it is the answer. The fan yao is often 'how the line looks to you' or sometimes a wise take on the line, some insight into it. So for me it's partly that this builds into my understanding of a line in general, partly that I'll look at it during a reading and suddenly jump about six feet in the air when I recognise my own thoughts being mirrored back at me. That helps me orient myself in the reading.

Reaction score
I use Brad's problem child in divination, but only in the sense that it helps me to understand the answer - not that it is the answer. The fan yao is often 'how the line looks to you' or sometimes a wise take on the line, some insight into it. So for me it's partly that this builds into my understanding of a line in general, partly that I'll look at it during a reading and suddenly jump about six feet in the air when I recognise my own thoughts being mirrored back at me. That helps me orient myself in the reading.

Makes the learning of each line richer. The correlation of the regular line, and the 'line coming back' is pretty interesting. A few days ago I received 11.3.4 > 54. Line 4's Fan Yao especially helped me to understand my reading (in retrospect). 11.4 trusting in the self and taking a leap of faith despite surroundings that do not support the leap. 34.4 an inner core part of the self that is strengthened thru an accomplishment. For me this was overcoming a social fear, but I had to take a risk in order to accomplish breaking through. Once I broke thru, I could feel myself getting stronger. Bradford's problem child can be a good little helper.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).