...life can be translucent

Menu

Whats my problem?

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Why didn't the meeting go as well as planned?

Hexagram 37. I always get this hexagram for every question I ask and im starting to wonder if this some I-ching mocking me. I don't know how hexagram 37 "family" man is suppose fit in this context.

What is my problem?

Hexagram 35.5.6 into hexagram 62

Hexagram 35 is about progress and line indicates that I should not linger on past mistakes and I should be confident in the matters I undertake. But then this is the opposite of line 6 which is unfavorable and says one pursues punishment for its own sake. (i guess its saying don't regret, but be aware of potential dangers.) Or is it more work related?

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score

37 Unchanging.
Points to leadership and teamwork - likely the lack thereof.

What is my problem?
You get upset that you are too gentle in how you handle others. But doing good work for your boss will assure you good opportunities for the future, and there's no cause for regret there.

If you have to umm - "encourage" anyone with criticism or push them, it should only be your own people and you should also be willing take responsibility for their faults as the leader. You have to be careful, you want teamwork, you need them and don't want them thinking you are scapegoating them to CYA, etc.

>62
You're a gentle person in a leadership position, but you are humble and conscientious and this brings you success. You do need to keep your dignity however, and not let others walk all over you just because you like to keep a low profile.

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, that's how I pretty much feel about this situation - things keep coming my way and there is a lack of collaboration/teamwork or guidance on my projects. I agree with taking responsibly for my faults and I do want teamwork, but if something goes wrong I don't see why I can't remind them that Im the youngest person in the group and maybe someone more experienced could have caught onto a mistake. Not blaming - accepting fault but saying more than one person to catch a mistake. I am gentle and like to keep a low profile though. I would not have interpreted all that from the hexagram. Maybe should invest in an I-ching book so I can better interpret the I-chings hexagrams in the context of my questions.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score

Hexagram 37.

The philosophy of Yi is that organizations should be run along the same lines as families. There should be definite guidelines at the beginning, people must keep within their roles, sometimes severity is justified, and so forth. But basically, people must speak from their hearts, as if among family members.

What is my problem?

Hexagram 35.5.6 into hexagram 62

Line 5 in hex 35 is fascinating. "Care not for loss or gain," it says. That is difficult when a person is in business. When a person is in business, almost always one ends up pushing for more of a gain, more money. One has material goals and objectives, and top line moving says you were pushing too hard.

A stray thought: He also "makes money" who saves on expenses.

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you about Hexagram 37. Although in a corporate environment it may appear like they should run like a family, but in reality everyone is for themselves because everyone wants to succeed whether it be climbing corporate ladder, for money, for reputation, etc. Line 5 in 35 I agree with you on this perspective as well that corporate environment is a difficult place not be materialistic. But for me, I am just a full-time intern looking for exposure. Right now my experience involves facing deadlines, pressures, managing workload and affectively coming up with solutions in timely matter. This kind of "fire-alarm" experience is maybe what I need so when I get a real full-time career I will have had exposure. I don't do it for money,although I agree with you on saving. I was pushing hard to come up with good solution not to simply impress but to do a solid job on the project. My goal was not materialistic nor was my objective in my opinion.

(Hasn't every environment become materialistic...Universities and higher institution is all a business about getting grants and what not for the school as far as professors go; of course students come to "learn" or get an education but ultimately a business.) Therefore, even academics has become a materialistic pursue for reputation and money.

Last edited:

hopex

visitor
Reaction score
I got a shock when I read that the boss is like a parent -
not a friend or a colleague but a parent - with that said
the rest of the people in the team are the family.

:bows:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
But for me, I am just a full-time intern looking for exposure.... This kind of "fire-alarm" experience is maybe what I need so when I get a real full-time career I will have had exposure.

You did not tell the story of what happened at the meeting, so we don't actually know what caused you to ask the question: "What is my problem?"

I think Yi indicates you started out beautifully but ended up pushing too hard towards a desired goal. Exerting a degree of forcefulness in some way that is only advisable for a very short period of time, no longer. Sometimes at the end of a presentation, when time is running short, this can happen. People try to cram too much into the time remaining. I cannot know, because I wasn't there ...

Well, it doesn't sound as if the meeting were an absolute disaster ...

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It was not a disaster, but the information I got was not what my manager had asked. I misunderstood (or didn't pay attention to detail) of what was asked. I had spent much time gathering the information and properly building the models to come to some conclusions, but the formula I used in the Model was something other than what was asked. The report I wrote was basically rewritten by my manager in her thoughts/words how she wanted to convey the story. It was embarrassing. She is kinda like parent to me though in some sort of way. I look up to her and respect her.

jp78

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I should ask why do I always misunderstand everything? ( well, not everything, but many things)

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I misunderstood (or didn't pay attention to detail) of what was asked.

Maybe you were nervous. I don't know how much help you'd get asking Why. Anyway, it seems to me that you already are familiar with the nature of this problem: You weren't able to pay attention to the details of what was asked.

Maybe in the future you might make every effort to concentrate your mind on going over and double checking exactly what is being asked of you, especially since so much work is involved.

We all have blind spots, difficulties that others can scarcely guess. Yours seems to be that when given a task, you make it a race to get to the finish line without finding out first what the task is. I know it sounds funny, but it's a little bit similar to what is meant by 'jumping to conclusions.'

When I was a girl, my mother used to give me some money and send me to the store for a loaf of rye bread from the bakery before dinner. I used to jump on my bicycle, and off I'd go. I knew what I was going for: rye bread. If I had come back with pumpernickel bread or white bread, I'm sure my Mom would have been looking at me funny, wondering why I didn't get the rye bread she had requested.

Last edited:

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I Ching Books

Maybe should invest in an I-ching book so I can better interpret the I-chings hexagrams in the context of my questions.

Yes, that would be a good idea. The James Legge translation is good and I also like the John Blofeld. Both are concise and to-the-point. I don't know what you have available where you live ... Huang's I Ching is also outstanding, and don't forget the I Ching written by Hilary Barrett. I have found that one or another of the I Ching books is better, depending on the type of question I am asking.
:)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).