...life can be translucent

Menu

Creative Project

hooo

visitor
Reaction score
I am finishing up a screenplay that I will be submitting to a Film Festival that sponsors a screenplay competition. It's a well-regarded, writer-friendly festival.

Last week I inquired, "What will happen with my work at the event?" and received 45, Gathering, unchanging.

As the deadline nears I am fine-tuning and trying to go with the flow of late changes to the material. I'm a little edgy with some things not quite exactly settled and secured but do trust that it's happening for the better; indeed, all the shifting and shuffling and adding and subtracting is improving the script. The story (more character- than plot-driven) gets richer and fuller; assertive application of will works well balanced with periods of gestation. Still, the door of opportunity is open...and then is not. (Well, that particular door, anyway.)

Today I asked, "What is the best approach to making my project the best it can be?" and received 22, Beauty, with lines 1, 4 and 6 changing, resulting in 62, Small Exceeding."

Key Questions re: 22:
How can you make the essence visible to others?
What do you choose to communicate?

Oracle:
‘Beauty. Creating success.
Small yield from having a direction to go.’

This is about natural beauty, like the beauty of a plant, whose form is the perfect, simple expression of its nature. It’s also about the way people create images to communicate something of a person’s or thing’s inner nature.

"This becomes a fruitful way to engage with the world when you have a purpose in mind – like someone who becomes a suitor for the sake of his bride, or a figure of authority for the sake of those she teaches. This is an image created for the sake of communication and relationship, as a first step towards a chosen destination.

Yet it only bears a ‘small yield’ because it is only a first, small step. Becoming something for someone is not sufficient to bring about significant results on its own – it’s not the same as wholehearted conviction, or ultimate fulfilment. No created image could ever express a whole person.

So this is not a time to concentrate on results: it’s a time for imaginative, lively exploration of beautiful ways the essence could flower and be seen."

62, Small Exceeding

Key Questions
Do you need to cross a line?
What small things can you do to meet the needs of the situation?
How can you take even more care?

Oracle
Small exceeding, creating success,
Constancy bears fruit.
Allows small works, does not allow great works.
A bird in flight leaves its call,
Going higher is not fitting, coming down is fitting.
Great good fortune.’

"Exceeding, or ‘going past’, is a transition, the moment when you step over a line. And ‘Small Exceeding’ means making this crossing in small ways: going beyond boundaries and structures, but paying close attention to them, always responding and adjusting, like a humble traveller crossing over great mountains.

This is a creative way to engage with the world, no matter how small you feel. You’re in no position to realize great things all at once, but it is worthwhile to do the smaller things that are within your capacity, taking small steps with consistent purpose.

Small Exceeding is like a bird in flight: small, exposed and vulnerable as it crosses over a vast expanse of sky. It must come down and settle eventually, and even as it passes by and is gone, its call reminds you not to go against your nature and overreach yourself.

For your own unique call to be heard, you need to fly closer to the ground and pay attention to details, creating a more sensitive connection with your world. When you come down to earth in this way, scaling down your aspirations, crossing over in small ways and doing small works, then you enjoy great good fortune."

And it is that last paragraph that truly resonates with me lately, as I've caught myself over-reaching, even "trying too hard," going too big when what is called for is attention to the minutest of details and an appreciation (if not outright reverence) for the power of the small.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What will happen with my work at the event?
45 unchanging

45 seems especially auspicious for a film festival because drama began in religion. The Image

Over the earth, the lake:
The image of Gathering Together.
Thus the superior man renews his weapons
In order to meet the unforseen.

suggests your polishing. The unforseen suggests that your screenplay will be interpreted in ways you do not anticipate. I think there may be some danger that your editing will dim the original inspiration.

What is the best approach to making my project the best it can be?"
22.1.4.6 > 62

Tragic beauty.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).