...life can be translucent

Menu

Should I just forget graduate school?

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
I have tried for weeks now to study for the GRE (test for graduate school), and no matter what I do, tutors, prep books, online help...nothing is going to improve my score in such a short timeframe that I have! :(

So when I casted a reading, I asked if I was going to get accepted into a certain school...this is what I got.
Hexagram 44.4 changing into 57.

"44. Providing
Line 4:

There is no fish in the surroundings.
Emerging misfortune.

Something is not available. As time passes, the problems this raises will get worse."

The deadline to apply is this September. I don't want to wait until the next school year, which is why I'm applying for Spring term.

According to the changing line/reading, I think I'm going to fail miserably on this test and not get admitted into this school. :(

Should I just give up? Or is 57 telling me otherwise?

Please help :(

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Will I be accepted into a certain school?
44.4 > 57

I think your missing fish is a lack of confidence as you have probably overcome greater challenges already. Certainly it doesn't mean there are no brains in your head. You have, I think, graduated from college. Some graduate schools place little weight on the GRE. According to Wikipedia, "The best way to find out how a particular school or program evaluates a GRE score in the admissions process is to contact the person in charge of graduate admissions for the specific program in question (and not the graduate school in general)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRE#Use_in_admissions

But, really, you don't have to prepare for the GRE. If you graduated from college, you're prepared enough.

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
You're on the ball. Thank you for the confidence booster. I have indeed graduated with a bachelor's, but sometimes I think that is not good enough.

I was told earlier that although the GRE is important, there are other parts of the application that I can focus on to make up for the poor scores. After all, I don't think numbers are an accurate measure of someone's intelligence or success in school.

I don't know, from what I've been told, this hexagram is telling me that I am looking into the wrong place. I will not find happiness here.

Is that right? Is it even worth applying? Do the lines say if I will or will not get accepted?

Thank you so much for your time and helping me to interpret this with your thoughts!

Will I be accepted into a certain school?
44.4 > 57

I think your missing fish is a lack of confidence as you have probably overcome greater challenges already. Certainly it doesn't mean there are no brains in your head. You have, I think, graduated from college. Some graduate schools place little weight on the GRE. According to Wikipedia, "The best way to find out how a particular school or program evaluates a GRE score in the admissions process is to contact the person in charge of graduate admissions for the specific program in question (and not the graduate school in general)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRE#Use_in_admissions

But, really, you don't have to prepare for the GRE. If you graduated from college, you're prepared enough.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, the signs are that you will be accepted. You are the strong woman who is hesitant (line 4). 57 is the hexagram of authority -- success in one's work -- and as this is one of the pillars of happiness, I think you will find happiness through graduate school.

long yi

visitor
Reaction score
According to Ma's Iching,

Hexagram 44: you lose in the competition for a seat.

Line 4: you have no idea of the situation. If you force your way, you will end up empty-handed.

Hexagram 57: the only possible chance of getting admission is to apply to some place far away from home.

This means fall admission.

起卦时间:2012年08月07日23时32分

神煞:天乙—寅午 福星—巳 日禄—酉 羊刃—申 驿马—亥 桃花—午 华盖—丑
干支:壬辰年 戊申月 辛丑日 戊子时
旬空:午未  寅卯  辰巳  午未

六神  伏神    乾宫:天风姤 (44)         巽宫:巽为风(六冲)(57)
         【本 卦】           【变 卦】
滕蛇       ▅▅▅▅▅ 父母壬戌土     ▅▅▅▅▅ 妻财辛卯木 世
勾陈       ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟壬申金     ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼辛巳火  
朱雀       ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼壬午火 应○→ ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母辛未土  
青龙       ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟辛酉金     ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟辛酉金 应
玄武 妻财甲寅木 ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙辛亥水     ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙辛亥水  
白虎       ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母辛丑土 世   ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母辛丑土  

Line 1/6 admission documents including GRE
Line 3/5 competitors
Line 4 changes to admission document. That document seats empty under the admission committee.
Sorry, not much hope as per six line method analysis.

Hexagram 57 line 6: female sits empty under under the school. This means no admission.

Since no school is defined in the question, the answer reflects what you think. This deviates fom the fact that each school has a different admission policy.

From personal experience, good GRE scores guarantees some type of scholarship.
Even you get in without a GRE, you have to survive the qualifying test, which is worse than the GRE. If your score is low, you have to take make-up undergraduate courses, and go back on probation in the first year of study.

Having say all the negatives, if you admission month is February and March 2013, and not August/September, then your chances will improve if the month of startup is May 2013.

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
That's strange...Pocossin thinks I will get accepted and LongYi thinks I won't. During this casting, I did ask about a specific school X, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Can you guys both elaborate please?

Thanks

long yi

visitor
Reaction score
神煞:天乙—寅午 福星—巳 日禄—酉 羊刃—申 驿马—亥 桃花—午 华盖—丑
干支:壬辰年 戊申月 辛丑日 戊子时
旬空:午未  寅卯  辰巳  午未

六神  伏神    乾宫:天风姤 (44)         巽宫:巽为风(六冲)(57)
         【本 卦】           【变 卦】
滕蛇       ▅▅▅▅▅ 父母壬戌土     ▅▅▅▅▅ 妻财辛卯木 世
勾陈       ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟壬申金     ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼辛巳火  
朱雀       ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼壬午火 应○→ ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母辛未土  
青龙       ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟辛酉金     ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟辛酉金 应
玄武 妻财甲寅木 ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙辛亥水     ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙辛亥水  
白虎       ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母辛丑土 世   ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母辛丑土  

Line 1 = parent's line = test result of the application 父母辛丑土
Line 4 = officer line = opportunity 官鬼壬午火
In the year of the dragon, the opportunity line is empty under the year 2012. The opportunity is not good for you.

Line 4: 官鬼壬午火 应○→父母辛未土; officer line changes to test result line. This test result is in conflict with the day of the reading (admission committee of the university). 

In this month of the reading, line 6 is the source of the determination to seek that opportunity in line 5 of hexagram 57, which in turn produce the admission letter line in line 4.

Line 6 is empty and hollow under the month of the reading (chosen university).
Line 5 is empty and hollow under the day of the reading (opportunity is not there)
Line 4 is empty and hollow under the year of the dragon (test result of the application).
There is no way that you will get admission in this arrangement in these two months.

Line in the fourth place means:
No fish in the tank.
This leads to misfortune.

Insignificant people must be tolerated in order to keep them well disposed.
Then we can make use of them if we should need them. If we become
alienated from them and do not meet them halfway, they turn their backs on
us and are not at our disposal when we need them. But this is our own fault.

Meeting them halway means you produce a GRE score that meets the minimal requirement.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Can you guys both elaborate please?

As indicated in my signature, I read for connotation. Is a glampradachick9 going to fold up and blow away? Not likely. So in spite of your negative appraisal of your situation, stylistic energy suggests that you will succeed in graduate school if you go for it.

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Tom's idea about going to the department head is a good one. My GRE scores were not great as I took them on a terrible day for me emotionally. But In talking with the dept advisor, she mentioned the scores but didnt place a great weight on them. She was more interested in my passion for studying, my determination, and my essay for admission.
Dont fret. GRE exams are not as difficult as you may think. Grad school is a worthy goal for ambitious people and if you are truly committed to your goal, then chances are you will be accepted. I also feel like Tom that the reading indicates your attitude about the GRE, you are frightened of the challenge. 57 advises a gently consistent approach, and coming in from underneath. By all means, I would not give up, but go for it. you have nothing to lose. Schools often want to accept you and will look to see how determined you are to succeed.

long yi

visitor
Reaction score
Query: glampradachick9 GRE score
Heaxgram 28.5 to 32

起卦时间:2012年08月11日08时58分神煞:天乙—丑未 福星—寅 日禄—寅 羊刃—卯 驿马—寅 桃花—酉 华盖—辰
干支:壬辰年 戊申月 甲辰日 戊辰时
旬空:午未  寅卯  寅卯  戌亥

六神  伏神    震宫:泽风大过28(游魂)    震宫:雷风恒32
         【本 卦】           【变 卦】
玄武       ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财丁未土     ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财庚戌土 应
白虎       ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼丁酉金  ○→ ▅▅ ▅▅ 官鬼庚申金  
滕蛇 子孙庚午火 ▅▅▅▅▅ 父母丁亥水 世   ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙庚午火  
勾陈       ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼辛酉金     ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼辛酉金 世
朱雀 兄弟庚寅木 ▅▅▅▅▅ 父母辛亥水     ▅▅▅▅▅ 父母辛亥水  
青龙       ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财辛丑土 应   ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财辛丑土  

In life, you have to pay your dues. This is a reading about your GRE score and situation.
The system does not change for you. If a GRE score is a perquisite for admission, the score does not have to be very high. You have to present the data that you have done the test.

Heaxgram 32 refers to
Chen (man) is above Sun (woman) (wood doubled), an auspicious sign. The nuclear trigrams are Tui above Chien (metal doubled), so the hidden meanings are also auspicious.

Old time meaning: The man goes out to work and the woman stays home and takes care of the family. It means that you have to stand firm in your mandate, and continue on that journey to get what you want.

Hexagram 28 means putting your house in order, change line at line 5 means exit the situation before the roof collapses.

Line 5 the officer star moves one step backwards. It is not ideal for romance and also academic test. However, these lines are lines of the metal. August and September are the month of the metal.

If you consider something is hard and decide not to take the test, you simply cannot go to a good graduate school to continue you career.

We do not use Iching to predict a way of getting around the system. Your previous reading = page of sword in tarot. The female is smart and intelligent. However, you can go both ways. Work towards a career goal or do not bother with it.

Your future is in your own hands. Most people get into graduate school with a low English section score (15-30%), good math score (>80%) and >85% in the subject score. In your field, the expectation on the English score may be high.

You should contact your school and discuss the score issue and their expectation. If you plan properly, it may be possible to catch the admission in next May 2013.

Hexagram 28 means that you are not serious enough about going to graduate school. Most people asking for September admission applies before the end of March. Most of the offers are made before the end of July 2012. It is now August, the math does not add up.

You can consult the dean for admission. Please be aware that if you were admitted, you may still have to take a placement test before the term started. If you score is low, you enroll in 4th year course and enter graduate school on probation for at least 8 months.

Last edited:

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well I appreciate the enthusiasm some of you have noted. I have spoken to the director of admissions before, and she said that since it is a competitive school, a good GRE score would help. Although some students get in with lower scores, it varies from year to year depending on the level of competition there is.

Also, thank you long yi for clarifying. But I think you misunderstood the deadline of my application. My deadline is in September, but this is for admission for spring term rather than fall like most schools.

Anyway, my mother convinced me that I should take the test this tuesday just to get it over with. She really does believe that I'll do fine, but I still have my doubts.

When I casted another reading (asking if I would do well on the GRE this tuesday), I got hexagram 11.2 changing into 36.

11. Passing Through
Line 2:

Barren surroundings necessitate fording the big river.
Not abandoning, but letting go of friends.
Value is lost and gained from targeted action.

One needs to move elsewhere, as something essential is not available anymore. It may be necessary to let go off friends, which is not the same as abandoning them. One needs to really go for it, in order to make valuable gains, accepting that this also results in losses (that which is left behind).

Hmm...I'm not sure how to interpret this. "Value is lost and gained from targeted action?" And it's talking about friends, but how does this even relate to taking the GRE? Am I missing something here? =/ From what it sounds like, maybe I'm not ready to take the test?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Will I do well on the GRE this tuesday?
11.2 > 36

Anyway, my mother convinced me that I should take the test this tuesday just to get it over with. She really does believe that I'll do fine, but I still have my doubts.

I agree with your mother. 11.2 seems to describe your going off to graduate school, which implies that you will do well on it.

glampradachick9

visitor
Reaction score
Alrighty folks, I have some news. Just a few days ago, I have received a terrible, rude e-mail from the graduate coordinator. She basically told me to stop calling the professors, the admission committees and herself; this was not beneficial for me or create a "good impression."

I pretty much interpreted her message as a way of her saying I have already made a bad impression on the school.

Some people told me that it was just a warning and that I should apply anyway. Others have said that I should just forget about the school...and I kind of agree.

Who would want to go a school where friendly behavior is discouraged?

Also, both Tom and LongYi...you guys were both right in your readings.

Sure, I will get into a graduate school and do fine on the test, but it won't be this certain school...it will most likely be another. What really shocked me is when I went back in this post and read that LongYi said that my application would remain "empty."

This is true because I have 90% made up my mind that this specific school is not the school I want to go to anymore. I'm just going to walk away from even applying.

Also, LongYi was also on the ball when she said that if I tried to force my way into the school, I would lose everything...yup...and I did.

However, I also found two more schools which are both far away from home (which also shocked me that LongYi predicted that in her reading), but are even better than the school I was trying to apply for.

I feel much better about this decision to apply to both, and on top of that, I now have even more time to study for the GRE since the deadline isn't until Feb of 2013.

The energies feel a bit more uplifted and positive for me, but again, I may be wishful thinking.

So with that being said, I have casted readings on the two new schools that I am interested in.

I asked if I would be able to get in for school A for the 2013 fall admission.

I got hexagram 21.2 changing into 38.

As for the next school (school B) I got hexagram 2, no changing lines.

Which of these two schools would be better/have a more likeihood of me getting in?

And thank-you tom, bamboo and longyi for helping me with this. I look forward to hearing what else you have to say about this one.

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Some find negative associations with hexagrams 21 and 38. However, 21.2 suggests the school cafeteria, and the image of 38 suggests membership in a society, whereas hexagram 2 unchanging to me suggests only the campus. So school A seems best. I'd feel better about School B if it were located in the southwest of your home. My opinion is that you will be able to get into either. In addition to the GRE, you might work on a comprehensive view of what you want from graduate school and also focus on the classics of your field of study.

long yi

visitor
Reaction score
August 18th, 2012, 04:48 AM

School B

Time of reading:2012 Aug 18 4:48 a.m.
起卦农历:壬辰年七月初二日寅时
神煞:天乙—寅午 福星—巳 日禄—酉 羊刃—申 驿马—巳 桃花—子 华盖—未
干支:壬辰年 戊申月 辛亥日 庚寅时
旬空:午未  寅卯  寅卯  午未

六神  伏神    坤宫:坤为地(六冲)
         【本 卦】
滕蛇       ▅▅ ▅▅ 子孙癸酉金 世
勾陈       ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财癸亥水  
朱雀       ▅▅ ▅▅ 兄弟癸丑土  
青龙       ▅▅ ▅▅ 官鬼乙卯木 应
玄武       ▅▅ ▅▅ 父母乙巳火  
白虎       ▅▅ ▅▅ 兄弟乙未土

Too early too ask.
The school will not know the admission requirement in 2003 until Feb/March 2013 (after April 6 2013). This depends on the academic qualifications of the pool of applicant.

Line 3 guest line officer-wood appears empty under the school and admission committee.
Line 2 tells me that document couples with the school, but it is in conflict with admission committee over the issue of document.

If the school does not know the answer, Iching cannot predict.
You are line 6 thinking of a career, and you think you have a chance.
The factual data will not be known until after April 6 2012.

School A
神煞:天乙—寅午 福星—巳 日禄—酉 羊刃—申 驿马—巳 桃花—子 华盖—未
干支:壬辰年 戊申月 辛亥日 庚寅时
旬空:午未  寅卯  寅卯  午未

六神  伏神    巽宫:火雷噬嗑  (21)      艮宫:火泽睽 (38)
         【本 卦】           【变 卦】
滕蛇       ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙己巳火     ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙己巳火  
勾陈       ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财己未土 世   ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财己未土  
朱雀       ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼己酉金     ▅▅▅▅▅ 官鬼己酉金 世
青龙       ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财庚辰土     ▅▅ ▅▅ 妻财丁丑土  
玄武       ▅▅ ▅▅ 兄弟庚寅木 应×→  ▅▅▅▅▅ 兄弟丁卯木  
白虎       ▅▅▅▅▅ 父母庚子水     ▅▅▅▅▅ 子孙丁巳火 应

Line 5 = you. You do not have the confidence in this case. This means you think you may not have the marks to support the application.

Line 2 = competitor in the eyes of the admission committee. There are more applicants applying, but the school or committee do not favor them.

The school is interested in those applicants who bring their own funds to study ((line 6) and month of reading couples). The school needs money.

Line 1 is the admission letter or document. You will not know until after Jan 6 2013.
Concerning the applicants, you do not know the pool of talent until April 6 2012.

It is too early to try to figure out your odds. School A; you may not like the culture, school B is more receptive. This situation has nothing to do with your application.

It is too early to predict the final outcome. Likewise, I cannot predict the S&P500 on April 6 2013 with Iching.

Use your common sense to guide you. Cast the reading again around April 2013. The outcome depends on the admission standard that changes every year.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).