• strip the neck

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
So, there's this guitar that I very much like the sound of, except that the neck is wider than what I play best on. I've tried another neck on it, and it sounds great (tone follows the neck more than most realize), that had a narrower neck, but was larger than usual in back, what's called a soft V shape. I find it incredibly nimble, natural and comfortable. But, it went back to it's original Tele body where it belongs.

I realize that to most, this sounds trivial, however I am persnickety about these details which help me to play and sound better.

So, I say to the Yi, you know how emotionally charged and obsessive I get about this matter, which can be viewed as correctional or merely obsessive. I have options to trade, sell this neck and get one that I especially like for it. But maybe I should keep this particular guitar intact. I dunno, so what say Yi? 23

Now there's two possible interpretations: forget the whole thing, strip the obsessing and the idea; or, strip the neck for the health (enjoyment potential) of the rest of the guitar, and ministers to my mental/emotional satisfaction.

After a little time, I approached again, and said: Yi, You know me, and why I ask these questions, so there's no need to explain it to you. I don't understand if you mean to strip the whole thing, or to strip the neck? One is emotional, one is practical. Which do you mean to strip? Answer: 60

What I find particularly interesting about h60, in this case, is that it defines the spaces between notes.. or as applied practically, the frets on the neck and the spacing of the strings from one another, which is literally the matter in question.

So, is the Yi saying to figetabout it, or strip the neck?

G

goddessliss

Meng my understanding would be to strip the neck that give you the most limitation in regards to your playing and feeling emotionally or otherwise. - Liss

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
Strip the neck and the worries that weigh you down - that'd be my take . . stripping your inhibitions will bring you back to feeling&playing smoothly.

(It sounds like if you don't change the neck, you'll be thinking about it every time that guitar's present neck feels too wide in your hands and the thoughts and doubts will be stripping your music instead - if that's the case, it's better to carefully lead the stripping instead . .)

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
What I find particularly interesting about h60, in this case, is that it defines the spaces between notes.. or as applied practically, the frets on the neck and the spacing of the strings from one another, which is literally the matter in question.

So, is the Yi saying to figetabout it, or strip the neck?

hex 23 seems to refer to the frets and string too. The visual of 23 looks like the neck and, to my eyes, it highlights the frets.

I voted "other" cuz I don't hear a straight "strip the neck-as sell it" answer. Prune it is something I can see tho.

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
don;t you already have your preferred option (strip the neck)?

in which case I cannot understand why you would need to ask any further questions unless you feel you need 'someone else's' approval to do what it is you really want to do in the first place? (which would seem odd, given the subject matter, but what the hey, we all operate in different ways)

On the other hand, if you are not sure what you would prefer, then it gets a bit trickier, and goes back to stripping the appearances to see what is underneath (i.e. finding what it is you really want)

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks for all your ideas on this. Very interesting points.

PG: There would be practical reasons to keep the neck on the same model guitar, such as the resale value of a complete and matched guitar, which is made in the US, and that means it would likely fetch a higher price sold together. Plus the sound of the guitar with the original wider neck, I've always liked, even though different from the other. If it was a clear, black and white preference and reasoning, then it would be a no brainer, I agree, but it's not as simple as that; the wider neck has its own merits, even playing wise, such as, it provides more room for jazz chords and precise fingering, it's just way slower for me than the other I'd replace it with. The sound is 'woodier', not as glassy, on the original. This is mostly due to the shape or neck carve, but there is indeed a technical difference inside the two necks, as well, which changes the tone. Nice heads up on that, PG.

Anyway, I thought this might be fun to interpret, presented in a puzzle sort of way, since it can be interpreted either way, and possibly other ways too.

I'm still unresolved, having neither stripped the idea nor the neck. :rolleyes: But that's ok, since I enjoy this kind of guitar and amp tinkering and modifying. It's not as though running the Empire uses up all my time. ;)

Thanks again.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 60 deals with how much? and how many? questions as well as measurements and amounts. I think it is saying that the neck should be not too wide and not too narrow. If I were you, I wouldn't think in terms of resale value, because that only comes into play if you were to sell the guitar. It seems you really like this guitar so why think in terms of selling it. Think in terms of playing it. I voted 'strip the neck.'
:)

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hex 60 deals with how much? and how many? questions as well as measurements and amounts. I think it is saying that the neck should be not too wide and not too narrow. If I were you, I wouldn't think in terms of resale value, because that only comes into play if you were to sell the guitar. It seems you really like this guitar so why think in terms of selling it. Think in terms of playing it. I voted 'strip the neck.'
:)

Hi Ginnie,

Yes, how much, how many, but also the often overlooked meaning of delineation. LiSe's 60 speaks of a flute, Wilhelm wrote: The Chinese word for limitation really denotes the joints that divide a bamboo stalk. This is so literally akin to the frets of a guitar neck, it's funny; as is Maria's mention of of the visual resemblance of h23 to a guitar neck.

In the guitar gearhead world, buying, selling and trading is a way of life, and all the more so with this tightened economy. Dora's right about inspiration, fluid motion etc, those are not things I worry over. Obsess, yes lol, but not worry.

There is also the limit of expenditure, though that was a given when asking the questions. It wasn't in my question. I could see purposes for each answer, probably the more obvious being, I already have a fast and bitchin' Tele, while this is more of a classic rock and blues machine. Can't do much dazzle on it, but it says exactly what I mean.

Strip it! Strip it good! danananana

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).