...life can be translucent

Menu

Career path choice - hex 6.1 to 10

veronica

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have been considering entering into a new line of business providing aesthetic treatments. I'm having a new website and logos developed and am hoping to start advertising soon. I asked today: what is the likely potential/forecast for this business? I got hex 6.1 changing to 10. The initial changing line got me a bit worried, as Karcher advises to "get out of this affair to avoid a long and bitter conflict", which freaked me out a bit. Could anyone help me interpret this? many thanks, Beata

redarmada

visitor
Reaction score
Hexagram 6 is Contention- there is "truth and confidence" but it's having difficulty coming to expression because of the battle between opposing forces (poetically, the heavens and the primordial ocean). But it's not the end of hope- if you are alert, cautious, and centered in your actions, it will work out well. If, on the other hand, you push the "battle" to the utmost, it will not. I don't know if you should expect huge success right away, or take lots of risks- it's not fruitful to "cross the great stream".
Line 1 is about your reaction to the conflicts that you will encounter in making your business successful- it doesn't seem to me to mean "drop everything and forget it", but rather, that there will be "words", conflicts, there will be gossip, there may be arguments, and the best way to approach that is to be calm, don't take it personally, and don't try to fight it. Keep your mind on your business and its success, not its detractors and naysayers.
Additionally, Hexagram 6 says that it is "fruitful to see the great man"- you might want to enlist the aid of allies, partners, supporters of all kinds in order to get your business off the ground and keep it going.
Most importantly, see what the noble one does in this hexagram- before pursuing their affairs, the sage sees to the beginnings, plans ahead- what your business really needs is very solid planning and being aware of the dangers moving ahead. Maybe you should re-examine whatever plans you have, make sure they are solid.

Daeluin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Beata,

In 6 we have water under heaven, two strong forces moving in separate directions. The potential for one to conflict with the other is huge, and the general advice here is to procede with caution and moderation, avoiding contention whenever possible.

Line one indicates potential for small disputes to arise, and if one rises above what is small one may avoid triggering the dispute. If one enters into the dispute one should take care to clarify the issue, resign the contest and accept any criticism. Through flexibility things turn out well. Here I believe Karcher is advising to avoid the small dispute all together, as it isn't worth what would likely become a long and unresolved debate serving mainly to cultivate defensivness, closedness and further judgements.

In ten there is a similar message of using proper conduct to avoid conflict. Here we have lake, the "youngest daughter", under heaven, the "father". While lake is weak compared to heaven and must take care to be submissive to heaven, lake is also well equiped for the task. From Cleary: "Its nature is harmonious and joyous. Being harmonious, it can relax; being joyous it can trust; being relaxed, it can go gradually; trusting, it can endure long. Able to relax and trust, powerful practice unrelenting, it is thereby possible to advance to the stage of indesctructible firmness and strength..." Thus in ten, through proper conduct one is able to tread through potentially dangerous situations successfully.

As a forecast for your new career, perhaps this indicates a heightened potential for small disputes which one must rise above, along with delicate situations with others where proper conduct is necessary to see one through to success.

Whenever I get ten, I find it to be a trial of sorts, and many lessons are learned. I tread innocently forward and am surprised by what I stumble upon, and somehow make it through unscathed, but not without some stress. Sometimes I think of it as treading water, where effort is used to maintain one's position. Perhaps it is possible to return to strength and advance, but it sure feels like I'm running in place. Lessons to be learned!

I hope my musings may be of some help to your future endeavors. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).