...life can be translucent

Menu

61.1.6 > 29

Daniel1357

visitor
Reaction score
:bows:Good morning. I am new to this site and forum so perhaps a very brief background is in order. A traumatic life-changing event three years ago forced me to reevaluate many of my philosophical assumptions. I had read the Tao Te Ching many years ago as a student, but I saw it with new eyes and came to find that it answered all the existential, metaphysical, and epistemological questions that had so vexed me. In short, I may be old and I may be dumb, but if you hit me over the head with Truth long enough I'll recognize it for what it is eventually. Next I came to the I Ching (serendipitously, but that's another story). I have been doing readings for myself for about two years. I have much to learn about moving lines, interpretation, the imagery, technique, and so forth, but I have always been amazed that even at the most superficial level of understanding of which I am capable, the oracle has always--always!--given me advice and counsel that is directly relevant to the questions I have in mind and always--always!--practical and useful. I mean, how do the coins know what to tell the book? How does the book know what I'm really thinking about when I phrase the question? Beats me, but they do and it does. You can't argue with results and you can't gripe about infallibility. Although I do not pretend to understand the I Ching in any detail nor how it works in the real world, I revere the oracle and I believe in it utterly, the way I believe in physics. Because I've seen it and I know it's real.

So on to the point. I am now facing a complex life decision (I will be eligible for retirement in about a year and I will get a small pension which will enable me to live simply if I don't mind a little downsizing of my lifestyle, and I don't). I have formulated an intention of to what I would like to devote the next chapter of my life and all this free time I am likely to have: to become a student again in order to learn more about spiritual development and taoism. So I asked the I Ching if this was a good idea. I got Hexagram 61, Innermost Sincerity or Inner Truth, with moving lines 1 and 6, yielding Hexagram 29, Darkness or The Abysmal. I believe this to be a propitious reading toward my intentions but I am wary of seeing what I want to see. I perceive that the realized gua tells me that as long as I am proceeding with an open mind from a place of my deepest inner truth, then I will be successful in my efforts to change, joyous in a position of obedience to my teachers and the Sage, gentle in a position of guidance to my own students and family. Then I was struck by the dynamic tension between the changing lines, the first of which tells me to persevere but the second of which warns me against persevering like the rooster, who makes a loud noise at the dawn but still cannot fly. The approaching gua warns me of the inevitable dangers and pitfalls that lie ahead in times of necessary change, advising me that if, like water, I can hold to my receptive, yin-like state of creative or attentive wu-wei, these adversities need not deflect me from my path. However, this reading is very flattering to my intentions, not to mention to myself, and I am deeply wary of self-deception in my interpretations. I would be most grateful for any feedback or insight anyone could offer me.

Also, I would like to say I am humbly grateful to the tao for leading me in my studies to this place. I have learned much of value in just one day here and I am excited about how much more work I have found to do. Thank you.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Is learning more about spiritual development and taoism a good idea?
61.1.6 > 29

About The rooster in line 6. I remember from Williams' Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs that the crowing of white chickens drives away evil spirits, so I interpret it positively and think you will succeed as a teacher.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Line 6 specifically mentions misfortune.
What kind of expectations or hopes do you have about it?

I think line 1 says you are prepared to undertake something.

Put together, maybe it is saying: you are well prepared to undertake something but,
Make sure your aspirations are realistic about what it would bring.

samoyedgrrl

visitor
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I got this casting when asking about bringing on an assistant. Pocossin's interpretation truly resonated with my situation. I'd be teaching and they'd be learning from me, and the help an assistant would benefit both of us jointly. My 29 is the fears of not having enough business to support both of us. I just have to get over that and knuckle down and make it happen.

Thanks for your interpretation!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).