...life can be translucent

Menu

taking advantage Hex 45.2.4>29

G

goddessliss

My landlord has taken advantage of me more than once knowing I'm in a vulnerable position to do much about it.
There are few rentals here especially at a price I could afford and whilst I love this place and the rent is very affordable I do not like being taken advantage of.
Things like - gas cooking but no gas bottle. The norm for renting is there is always a gas bottle and the renter replaces it when they go - sure I can take it with me but to fork out for the bottle then the gas is silly when the next person will need to do that also - yes I could possibly ask the next person renting to pay for it but again it's just rude not to have one.
The next thing was the parking - the property is over 2 acres with plenty of parking and I want to park near my front door but he said no I want you to park in the allocated space I told you to which is far enough way that I have to go around large obstacles when bringing anything from my car. One day I parked close to my front door so he parked me in so I couldn't get out and when I asked him to move his car he said yes but next time I will park you in and won't be moving my car to let you out - park where I told you to.
We discussed the fact that there is no electricity meter on my house and how much he would charge me for Summer and then Winter based on a quarterly bill - after 2 months he charged me more than he said he would for 3 months.
I've spoken to him about a couple of things in the flat that are broken and he said not my problem I'm selling the property so can't be bothered.
When friends or family are here he is like a different person Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde definitely. He's also said if I ever get a bf he's not welcome here.

Show me the way to stop landlord taking advantage of my vulnerable position.
Hex 45.2.4>29

Hex 45 talks of gathering proper principles but I feel I already have them - I'm quiet, respectful of their boundaries and pay rent on time like any decent human being would.

As for trying to talk with him about any of these issues all he does is argue and argue because he seems to have this need to be right - of course I back down because he could just tell me to move out.

I've had plans to start a women's group to come to my home at least once a fortnight so I'm wondering if the Yi is speaking of this and how it may help me put out a stronger energy.

- Liss

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Show me the way to stop landlord taking advantage of my vulnerable position.
Hex 45.2.4>29

Yes, I think the 45 is referring to the women's group you're hoping to start. You say that he's got a Jekyll and Hyde personality, so maybe if you put out a stronger energy he will become more accommodating. He seems to have a kind of cold, nasty tone and maybe he can begin to treat you more as 'company.'

By the way, what is a gas bottle? I'm a renter and have gas. We have a gas stove. But I don't think I've ever heard of a gas bottle.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
By the way, what is a gas bottle? I'm a renter and have gas. We have a gas stove. But I don't think I've ever heard of a gas bottle.

My guess is that it is a tank to hold the gas.

G

goddessliss

Yes, I think the 45 is referring to the women's group you're hoping to start. You say that he's got a Jekyll and Hyde personality, so maybe if you put out a stronger energy he will become more accommodating. He seems to have a kind of cold, nasty tone and maybe he can begin to treat you more as 'company.'

Thanks Ginnie - I feel like I'm on the right track re the group but I did have another thought and wonder whether the group may be the Australian Tax Office.
Whilst I don't think the dwelling I live in is illegal I do know he's not declaring the rent I pay him as part of his income so if I was to mention it to the authorities then he may well be in deep water so to speak - do you think this may be relevant to this cast?
Of course if I was to mention it to the ATO then obviously I would probably no longer have this place to live in and I don't wish to be expending energy on such a thing but I have to admit I've felt empowered within by the thought.

It is a tank to hold the gas yes - like you would use on a BBQ only larger. - Liss

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I think if something like that was indicated, you might get 21 instead of 45, which is a gathering together of like minds. But, hey, you felt empowered by the thought, so it could be good to keep thinking of reporting him, even if you don't do it.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
My guess is that it is a tank to hold the gas.

Oh, a tank! I live in NYC and my gas comes into the building and to me through a pipe. Our gas pipelines run under the streets here.

G

goddessliss

I think if something like that was indicated, you might get 21 instead of 45, which is a gathering together of like minds. But, hey, you felt empowered by the thought, so it could be good to keep thinking of reporting him, even if you don't do it.

Yes very true re 21. Yes and I'm feeling empowered by more plans with this likeminded group which are to be called The Goddesses - Learning through The Maiden, Nurturing from the Mother and gaining the wisdom from the Crone. I guess refocusing my thoughts takes my mind away from the landlord situation - the thing where our thoughts attract etc.

I figured that was the situation re the gas but I'm still surprised you hadn't heard of a gas bottle but then I've never been to NYC so what would I know :eek:uch:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Liss,

45 can mean a group - do the other renters have similar problems? Maybe if you all stuck together? It sounds like he's quite practiced at deflecting one of you at a time. Maybe it would be different if there were at least a few of you at once?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, okay...the only other thing I can think of, then, is when 45.2 talks about making a "summer offering" - my understanding is that a summer offering in the I Ching means one made before harvest time, when resources are scarce.

Hilary's translation is:

'Being drawn.
Good fortune, no mistake.
With truth and confidence, then it is fruitful to make the summer offering.’

Hilary mentions in her commentary - I assume about the "being drawn" and "with truth and confidence" parts - that the modest offering should be made with a "forward-looking spirit, anticipating the harvest to come."

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that your current landlord is trying to sell the property? Maybe the new owners will be better, if you can put up with this ding-a-ling in the meantime? Or maybe that he'll figure out that he'll have to make some repairs and improvements in order to sell it? Something like that?

In any case, the reading sounds optimistic, I guess.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 45 refers to you looking after number one. Number one is you.

I mean it doesn't have to refer to a group of people but you gathering all resources in order to be ready for the unseen. I think it's about being prepared.

So there is only one thing to consider here and that is your own interests. Well you already knew that.

The thing is, as you also know, as he is the landlord you have to go with his terms more or less.

I think if I found a landlord's terms unreasonable I would be looking to gather myself and my belongings and go elsewhere where I could hold myself together in one piece. However usually there's swings and roundabouts...that is what is lost in one way is gained in another. Perhaps he thinks as the rent is low the other things matter less ? Those 'swings and roundabouts' remind me of riding the depths of 29

So you need to feel safe and gathered together in all one place....(45) and this feels threatened (29) To me it looks like you can ride it to your advantage with 'small offerings' which I presume would be going along with what he wants for the sake of cheap rent ?

But it depends how that feels for you. I mean your relationship with him is based on a deal. If you aren't happy with that deal and he won't compromise then you'd move on. You are his customer...and the customer has the right to take their business elsewhere.

I feel this is a good cast for setting things on a more secure basis for yourself by 'making offerings' which presumably are just complying with wishes.

However I must say I find this very odd indeed

He's also said if I ever get a bf he's not welcome here.

:confused: Surely you can have who like at your property if you pay rent. Good grief I never heard of such a thing ! You are renting a house from him and he says you, a woman in her 50s, may not have a boyfriend !! Er do you reckon he's jealous and wants you for himself ?

It's not a bad cast and it makes me think you have more say in the situation than you think yet from what you say the situation sounds pretty awful and very strange. I mean no one can rent a property out and then dictate their tenants social life can they ?

G

goddessliss

Thanks Trojina - that could well be for sure - gathering my own resources and yes 29 makes me think it's a bit of a lost cause trying to fight it - just accept it or move on as you say. So it's up to me what or how I gather my resources and what to do with them.

Re the bf - in my experience bullies such as him are typical in making sure you don't have a support system around you. You know isolating you from others so they don't see the truth of things so when you tell them what's going on they don't see that side of him. As I've mentioned he's very Jekyll and Hyde - a number of people think he's lovely and I can see how they would get that impression but the truth is underneath he's not very nice at all.
= Liss

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
in my experience bullies such as him are typical in making sure you don't have a support system around you.

Surely you know that his blocking you in with his car was criminal? Had he done it to me, his vehicle would have been crush as I backed into it. Actually, I would have called the police first, and if they did not respond, I would have handled it myself, maybe with a hammer. Your landlord is taking criminal liberalities, and had he done it to me, he would not have enjoyed the results. Of course, the law in Australia and here may differ. If I did this to a tenant, I could expect legal and physical hell.

G

goddessliss

Surely you know that his blocking you in with his car was criminal? Had he done it to me, his vehicle would have been crush as I backed into it. Actually, I would have called the police first, and if they did not respond, I would have handled it myself, maybe with a hammer. Your landlord is taking criminal liberalities, and had he done it to me, he would not have enjoyed the results. Of course, the law in Australia and here may differ. If I did this to a tenant, I could expect legal and physical hell.

This is correct pocossin but to have retaliated in such a way would only leave me in a terrible situation. Without a car possibly, because there's no doubt in my mind he's no control over his impulses and certainly without a home to live in.
He's committing fraud by taking rent from me and I've every intention of letting the ATO know once I've moved.
I was hoping to get receipts from the previous tenant so his fraudulence can be fully exposed but that doesn't look likely at this stage.
I found out the other day, just by chance, that he already owes the ATO an outstanding amount and is doing his best to be evasive and they've threatened legal action against him.

Someone suggested writing a dated diary of his behaviour so that is what I'm doing.

My question is more related to being able to live here equably until I've found a more suitable space but to be honest the last thing I wish to do is move AGAIN!!
The place is up for sale so I'm hoping it may well sell quickly and I have more suitable landlords for myself and he moves not me.

Apart from that I do hope Ms Karma pays him a visit.

- Liss

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).