...life can be translucent

Menu

Yi really does just take experience

S

seeker

The more I work with Yi, the more I discover that no matter how many translations you have, knowing the hexes takes experiencing them.

For instance, I recently asked about the prospects of a relationship with someone I was interested in who did not seem interested in me and got 38.2.4.6. I thought this was a pretty positive answer, yet today I am a bit confused. I had emailed and not gotten a response, so asked Yi what was going on with him and got 52.1.3 which I took to mean he was still mulling things over, but was not sure about line 3. Asked what I should do and got 60.1, basically nothing I can do. Asked again about the prospects and got 36.4. That made me stop and think. The only other time I remember receiving this answer was about my marriage, and it indicated a situation I needed to leave. So I then asked if I should just forget about this person and got 54.4, which to me is pretty clear that this is not the right person, but the right person is out there someone and I will find him at some point in the future.

The thing is that first reading of 38.2.4.6. Most translations I read seem to indicate a relationship that will have difficulties but that will resolve successfully in the end, especially looking at line 6, yet I have gotten it numerous times and it has not once turned out like that, even when I did not try to control the situation, (which we all know I am sometimes prone to do
happy.gif
)

My conclusion is that the other readings that all seem to indicate the same course are the more valid, and this first one does not mean, at least for me, what it appears to. Perhaps at some point I will have experienced it enough to figure out what it does mean. Not too stressed though, as 36.4 lease to 55, abundance. So, I may not get what I think I want, but there is probably something better just around the bend.

Oddly while I was typing this my stero was playing a Christine Kane song called I'm With You. One of the lines says, "it's less about the answers and more about how we heal". Hmmmmm

C

candid

Seeker, and then there are the surprises, always. You experience a gua/change with eyes open and fully conscious, and say "ah hah!", so that's what it means. Later - sometimes much later - you again experience it, but this time differently, and you say "huh?" Then it occurs to you how you experience the same change from a different angle or facet, from the many facets. Then mix in our various temperaments and insecurities, all those little subjective nuances from our personality. I don't think we ever learn it in a way that we can say with absolute certainly "THIS is what it means!" We can say ?these are the elements at work here, this is the propensity of hexagram such-n-such? but I don?t believe we can ever nail it down to one neat and clean meaning. That?s what our own cognition is for.

Now, times those variables with several readings about the same or related question, and we get
howmuch.gif
howmuch.gif
howmuch.gif
angry.gif
blush.gif

S

seeker

Yep, feel that way a lot.

Asked this afternoon where am I now in regards to romance? 36.3

The archive discussions I found seemed to indicate a new beginning or understanding, which could refer to my interpretation of the above readings and better understanding of them. But Wilhelm talks of capturing the source of disorder but not abolishing abuses too quickly, and I am not exactly sure what that means.

S

seeker

and what should I do now to improve my prospects for a romantic relationship? 47.6

Pick a direction and go in it?
happy.gif

C

candid

What Wilhelm?s commentary was referring to in 36.3 is that once we discover the reason for our confusion and dissatisfaction, that doesn?t automatically fix the problem, because these things have been going on for a long time. So we can?t just snap our fingers and have the problem go away. We have to patiently work through the problem that causes these dark experiences.

A similar idea is expressed in 47.6. We are hesitant to commit because we?re afraid that the commitment will be broken, again. It?s like falling off a horse several times and being afraid to get back on.

jte

visitor
Reaction score
"Pick a direction and go in it?"

"It?s like falling off a horse several times and being afraid to get back on."

Agreeing... and you've learned a bit now from falling off that horse - let your move forward benefit from that experience...

- Jeff

brian

visitor
Reaction score
Ming Yi--Brillinace injured, often times the brilliance spoken of is not that which is seen, but is instead the type that is felt--as in the brillinace that resides inside of ones own character or mind.

Taken in context of the sequence one can say that after moving forward, one is bound to become injured or slowed down.

Earth above fire below--often represented with the image of a sunset--the sun setting low behind the earth--a time of approaching darkness, a time where day makes room for night, a time for rest and healing, a time for letting the night run its course.

One who becomes injured in the way typically depicted in this gua is also at risk of becoming victim to shame. It is inevitable that we will at some time become injured, and when injured we are typically stopped or slowed down, any progress we seek is interupted--it is wise to use this time to pause and reflect upon what is happening, to focus too strongly on where it is we wish to go is to tempt ourselves to become impatient. Restlessness aggrivates a tender injury--to loose patience or allow pride to take control of the situation is to invite shame and regret to come and make even the mildest injury even worse and more crippling then it really is.

Ming Yi;Fu--Injured, biding ones time, remaining low, not projecting ones brillaince outward, seeking instead to nurture the brilliance at its root which is within.

Again with respect to the sequence of this gua--reaching out, proceeding forward, not gaining what one hoped to have, not reaching the place one set out to go to--one becomes injured, it is wise to pause and take full measure of what is happening, allowing a wound to heal and letting the situation run its course.

A man with a broken foot hobbles not because he is weak, but because he is wise.

S

seeker

Thanks for all of the replies, a lot to mull over, but gave me a bit wider perspective for my readings.

In light of that, looking at the first readings again, I initially thought they were contradictory, but perhaps not. 38.2.4.6 might say that at some point this person and I might have something, but perhaps the other readings are more info, that though I might have a relationship with him, this is not the person I should spend my life with. In this case, both readings are true. Or perhaps the 38 reading merely refers to our opinions of each other. We had kind of an argument, so maybe it just means that at some point we resolve the argument, but nothing beyond that.

Taking that a step further, your explanations for line 3 make sense, but could it also mean, if the source of confusion is a person, that I should not walk away too fast, that there is more to learn from that situation? I have not had much luck with relationships over the past year, but each time Yi has advised me to go through it, when I did not see any potential, and each time I have gained something within myself. I have learned and grown with each experience, and I do believe that sometimes Yi advises us to take a particular path, not because it will be successful, but because it is necessary for our personal and spiritual growth. So often, it is not the destination that is important, but the journey you take to get there.

C

candid

"and each time I have gained something within myself"

That's a Bingo! Iron sharpens iron, and it's the resistance or opposition (38) that gets the job done. Retaining our own indivduality is what sharpens each other. That's why there are sharp couples and dull couples.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).