...life can be translucent

Menu

advice about buying a new laptop 1.5 to 14

danadanadana

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the IChing for advice about buying a new laptop that I have selected, the hexagram was 1.5 changing to 14. I am worried about the expense, otherwise I would definitely buy the laptop.
Many thanks for your responses!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh dear. You said you simply asked for advice, so it doesn't seem there's a problem with your question.

Nonetheless, it's hard (for me, anyway) to figure out what the reading is addressing (hopefully someone else will come along who understands it better :)).

What worries you is the expense, and hexagram 14, which can refer to money, is the relating hexagram. The relating hexagram is the background, not the answer, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant, I don't think.

The line itself, 1.5...

‘Dragon flying in heaven.
Fruitful to see great people.’
(Hilary Barrett's translation)

...usually means to seek wise counsel, or to use your "higher mind" on the matter, so that you can make the best decision in a time of "creating" something. (Hexagram 1 is named "Creative Force." "Dragon flying in heaven" means that you're still in the process of creating - you haven't actually bought anything yet. And I think making a major purchase is creating something - you're bringing something into your life which will significantly affect it, for better or for worse.)

So I'm not sure if the reading is telling you that it's smart to be wary of the expense, OR if it's saying that you've selected a good laptop (presumably for good reasons, after looking into it), and it's worth the money. (Maybe a cheaper laptop would give you trouble, or wouldn't last as long.) Hexagram 14 in a broader sense can mean "Great Treasure" of all kinds, not just your bank balance, so it could be saying that this laptop would be...a great treasure.

A possibility might be the "presumably for good reasons, after looking into it" factor. I don't know what research you've already done, but maybe yet more investigating would be helpful? Read reviews and comparison guides, talk to people who know more about computers than you do...again, I don't know what you've already done...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Another possibility (that I'm really not sure about)...

I wonder if it might depend on your question after all. You said you selected a laptop you liked, and you asked Yi's advice. Two things.

If you asked the question after tentatively deciding on a particular laptop, and the question was too general, maybe Yi could be nudging you to ask about the laptop you actually picked. The "great person" in line 5 could be the I Ching, and maybe it's giving you a little lesson about effective divining. "Go ahead and just ask me about it," Yi might be saying.

In other words, asking something like "Advice for buying a laptop?" (if that's what your question was) might be too general for the stage you were in your decision. At the very beginning, it would be a fine way to start. But if you'd already done research and thought you knew what you wanted, it might be best to get straight to it: "Yi, what if I buy this one?" or something like that.

(Of course, if your question was already about the particular laptop, then this is silly and never mind it :D.)

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
Simple question - simple answer.

The fifth line of h1 is the best one, it shows proper amount of power/ exact balance.
And what could be better than h14 when the question is about buying something.

As Nigel Richmond writes:
Possession of what is great; it is wide awareness that creates this success (possession of a great lot of meanness does not). This is about the greatness of what is possessed, not its great quantity.

You get an excellent laptop that can do almost anything (like a dragon in a sky). It has enough power (CPU | RAM etc.) to run many applications and fast.

The only question is - do you need it all? The laptop itself is good. And that was the question.

p.s. If it is too much for you, I think Yi would have shown you h55 or h28 or h15.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh! The dragon might be the laptop (can do anything, has great power, etc.) Thanks, Ashteroid! :)

S

sooo

I frequently ask Yi's advice on purchases that are expensive for me. What I've found it very helpful for is separating my passion (with music gear we call it GAS, for Gear Acquisition Syndrome) from my freedom and satisfaction after the honeymoon period ends. The most common answer when it's driven by GAS rather than satisfying results, is 62 - economy.

In your case, it seems to be all thumbs up for all of the above. I interpret it as a good value and creative tool.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).