...life can be translucent

Menu

Question about a school assignment

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
I had an assignment due last night in my computer illustroator class and I have been struggling with the class all semester. I asked the IC what the teacher thougt about my last assigment (he didn't seem thrilled to me) I got 28.4-48
Then because of 48 I asked what is your opeinion of Dan as a teacher in illustrator 1 and got 14.3 - 38. Can anyone please help me shed light on this situation.
The reason I asked was I came away from the class feeling a little down on myself.
Thanks

M

micheline

He sensed your struggle with the assignment, but you pulled it off and I would suspect he recognizes your talent.

In my experience, line 14.3 is the line of a leader who is able to support and benefit those in his realm of responsibility. You eye him a little suspiciously,(38) but perhaps your suspicions are unfounded...
Hexagram 38 usually seems to refer to situations where suspicions are more likely based on one's own insecurities and misgivings.

This might be a person you can learn a lot from if you are open to the opportunity.

C

candid

Worrying what your teacher thinks misses the point. The point is to learn the skills you?re studying. Tap into the well of creativity that you possess, and ask for help where it?s needed; there's a well there too. 14 contains the potential you need to excel. The only thing stopping you is your own opposition, your own self-doubt and fear of not measuring up to his approval. There may not be the opposition with your teacher that you suspect. We have met the enemy and it?s almost always us.

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Candid...

I understand the importance of her teacher's opinion to Susan. Besides the fact he's trying to teach her something and it's important to both of them whether he's reaching her or not... it's an artist thang. It's an inherent need.

<blockquote>Susan the Art Director: How many Art Directors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Candid: How many?

Susan the Art Director: I don't know... what do you think?</blockquote>
Susan...

Is it Adobe Illustrator that you're struggling with? Or another program? Is it learning the program that is difficult? Or is it creating layouts in general? Or is it creating illustrations with a digitizer tablet rather than layouts you're struggling with. I've learned after struggling a lot with a Wacom tablet that I'm better off doing illustrations freehand, and using the tablet for less creative stuff. That's why I asked.

The Yi likes your teacher's motivations to teach. Have you asked him how to get past whatever it is you struggle with? Have you asked the Yi?

Love,

Val

C

candid

Just calling the reading as I see it. 28 worries, line 4 worries about personal relations, results in humiliation. 48 digs deeper. It's an I Ching thing.
happy.gif

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
Susan...

Never mind answering my questions here on the forum. It wasn't important anyway. I was just trying to show that I empathize with you and possibly open a dialog that might help you unlodge your block because dialogs on this forum have helped me unlodge some of mine.

I just hope you appreciated the Art Director joke. I love it because it's so true.

Candid...

Do you have a response to what I said... now that's you've reacted to what it appears you think I said? I didn't reject your reading did I? I shared my understanding for Susan's dilemma with you didn't I? Not everything is about you. In fact, it's rarely about you. You're the only one who makes it about you. This time it was about Susan.

Love,

Val

C

candid

But I?ll refrain from reading. Most want to hear only what they want to hear. That?s not the I Ching I know and love. I don?t need the personal put down for trying to help people understand their readings or IC in general.

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
Candid...

I know. I know. I know. I wish I had more patience. I do try. But this goes on all the time with you... especially since Dharma left and you don't have her to compete with anymore. When I post to this forum any more, I feel like I'm walking through a mine field, and I'm just so tired of it.

I understand why some people take things personally and own what's not theirs to own and react defensively... and I have compassion for them. I DO. But that doesn't mean I have to sit in it myself and deal with it again and again and again. I've sat here so many times smiling when I'm writing a post... sharing with you... only to have you snipe back or blow up much to my amazement. I was smiling through the post you just unnecessarily "defended" yourself against.

Candid... if you respond like you just did and have many times before, do you really NOT expect a response in return? Really? I love you... I love a lot of your posts... but I really wish you'd get in touch with whatever it is that drives you to react the way you do to some people in particular... since I'm one of them.

Well I'm off to do my own artistic masterpieces... a big Elmo for pin the nose on Elmo, and then a lot of little Elmo's for the food tables for grandson's second birthday party this Sunday. It was two years ago already that I sat posting on this forum while I waited for him to enter this world. I'm off to celebrate... *grin*

Love,

Val

hester

visitor
Reaction score
Susan, yes, to all the interpretations above, perhaps, I also wondered, about the 14 line 3, that he is an artist? Not used to teaching, perhaps a bit at odds with teaching?

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I will write more later, but yes Hester he is an artist. This is just a part time job.
It is illustrator one we are just learning the program didn't get to the advanced stuff Val mentioned. YEs it's just learning the program that I found difficult.

M

micheline

For the record, I dont think Candid was being defensive at all, he was explaining his take on the reading.

I still stand by my reading tho ; ) ....Susan asked ABOUT her TEACHER'S response to her assignment..the YI answered that question: 28.4..he felt it was a stress and a struggle, but the student came through...48, he senses the well of her talent.

14.3 He is one who can be of help...

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Micheline, I also think Candid was talking about the reading and not to anyone else.
"this goes on all the time with you"
Geeze!

LiSe

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
" I asked the IC what the teacher thought about my last assignment (he didn't seem thrilled to me) I got 28.4-48"

28.4: "a beam curving upwards" according to Legge. Reminds me of the lips of
happy.gif
, so maybe he thinks better of your assignment than you expect, Susan.
happy.gif

There might be some communication problems between you two, though, I think that both 48 and 38 could indicate that.
In 48, as I see it, the mind is drawn inward, introverted. Not very expressive. Don't know if that refers to your mind or the mind of your teacher or both.
And in 38 people are moving in different directions, with different motives and purposes. As if they live in seperate worlds.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
"I asked the IC what the teacher thougt about my last assigment (he didn't seem thrilled to me) I got 28.4-48"

You're doing okay; don't sweat it. You don't need more than you're getting right now.

"I asked what is your opeinion of Dan as a teacher in illustrator 1 and got 14.3 - 38."

He's okay. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get more knowledge of the program before you start wondering about the teacher.

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
All your comments have been very helpful. Thanks.
Dobro what translation do you use? I thinnk that answer really sums up the situation as I experienced it. I really felt I didn't know enough to even know if he was a good teacher. It's just he always seemed so preoccupied.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I use my own version, backed up by Karcher and Legge. I also look at Shaugnessy and Wilhelm sometimes. What I'm looking for are the areas where their versions agree. If they all agree on a translation or concept, then I go along with it. If they differ, then I decide what I think it means.

As for your teacher: the student's more important than the teacher, cuz it's in the student that the learning takes place (or doesn't). That's part of the reason I suggested concentrating on your half of the equation, which is all about learning all you can about the subject matter. After you've learned the subject matter, then you'll be in a better position to know what kind of teacher he is. But by that time, it won't matter as much, because you'll have learned the subject matter. ;-)

luz

visitor
Reaction score
Candid,

I hope you didn't mean it when you said you will 'refrain from reading'.
sad.gif

The difference in interpretations and points of Even if most of us want to hear only what we want to hear, at least most of the time. But the way I see it, when you do a reading in the forum it is not only intended for the querent but also for the whole community. It's a noble search for Truth.
Please say you won't stop!
happy.gif

Grandma

visitor
Reaction score
I know 48 is the well, in one translation it says it refers to the (thing we want) is there but that we might not succeed in getting it (as opposed to 50 when we get (the thing we want) or are asking about.
But do you all find that 48 talks about resources we have or are able to access? You all seem to be implying that.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Go deep inside yourself. That's the well.

What do you find when you go deep inside yourself? That's the water in the well.

When you go deep inside yourself and bring back some of what you found there, that's like drawing water from the well.

The individual lines of Hex 48 talk about various aspects of going deep inside yourself. But only lines 5 and 6 talk about being really successful at it. The other lines talk about either failure to get deep enough, or looking in the wrong place, or preparing for it.

Hex 50 is more about being or becoming a vessel of (spiritual) transformation.

Hex 48 goes inside and retrieves a bit of what's there. Hex 50 contains what's inside in a process of alchemical transformation.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).