...life can be translucent

Menu

Noisy arguing neighbors with small children

hereiam

visitor
Reaction score
Last summer I called the police department on my neighbors. The guy was mowing his lawn at 10pm! The cops just drove by, never stopped. My faith in law enforcement ended there. I originally confronted the guy. He stopped the mower, said he was sorry, turned it back on and continued mowing! Seriously? This is a very populated area.

He and his wife fight all the time. They have two small children both under the age of 6 living there. She's usually yelling at them telling them to shut up. Yesterday was out of control. Both were going in and outside the house yelling and screaming and calling each other names. At one point they were throwing belongings out the front door. I heard all this through my bedroom window. Their driveway is right outside said window. I can't enjoy a warm day with the breeze coming in due to their loud arguing. I don't know if there was any physical violence but given the heated argument (got worse once they were indoors) I would not be surprised if there has been or eventually will be. My concern is for those children. They're a witness to this. I grew up in that sort of environment and it's a bad way to go. You've got these two adults (wounded children in big bodies) not willing to look at themselves, blame the other and the children pay for it. Cycle repeats until someone wakes up. I was at a loss over this yesterday. Eventually things calmed down when the girl's dad came over. But I know this will erupt again. The couple feeds off each other and they say vile things. It is a COPS episode or Jerry Springer for sure. I feel like I must do something because I fear for those children. But what to do? I do not feel talking to them directly will get anywhere. They were so loud the whole neighborhood could hear them. I could hear them even with my window closed and TV on.

So someone recommended I write an anonymous note to them. I consulted Iching about it and the reading wasn't great. So then I asked "what would be the outcome if I go to the police and ask them what to do about the situation" and got 38.3.6 to 34.

Hmm....
With Great Vigour, you stand upright and robust, full of resilient energy. You are inspired and animated by strong purpose, and ready to wield your strength like a hero.

For this to yield results, you will need to act with steadiness and consistency – standing in your strength, but without mistaking it for omnipotence.

From Tony Crisp website:
Remain true to yourself in all. Do not relinquish the important personal qualities just to be the same as others in order to agree with them.

Key words: Differences of opinion and direction. No great problem. Find small ways of advancing.

3.This is a very real problem. It can’t be avoided. There may even be humiliation or damage involved. Remain true to what you know is right, and those you honour. Bad start, but a good ending.

6. A friend once trusted now seems lost and estranged. Anger and mistrust make the friend appear repugnant. But drop your hostility and see that they sincerely want your companionship. Difficult feelings then melt.

Is this saying to speak to the police about it? I know I'm not omnipotent and I do not know it all but for crying out loud who will advocate for these kids and yes, this is a problem where something must be done. :confused:

B

butterfly spider

I am not familiar with the casting - but my sense is that you should contact whichever authority you feel best and then stand back. It is not your problem - as neighbours you could
E putting your own safety in danger

34 - something that you need to administer carefully. I have for this line when I think I am in the right - feel powerful - but am misguided in some way. I am not saying for one moment that this applies - just be careful of the strength of your position.

hereiam

visitor
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the casting - but my sense is that you should contact whichever authority you feel best and then stand back. It is not your problem - as neighbours you could
E putting your own safety in danger

34 - something that you need to administer carefully. I have for this line when I think I am in the right - feel powerful - but am misguided in some way. I am not saying for one moment that this applies - just be careful of the strength of your position.

I say 100% I don't know what is right. All I do know is what it's like growing up in that environment and the detrimental impact it has on everyone involved. It's scary but I can't not do something. I also know that it's ridiculous that I hear them over my TV with the window shut. I contacted someone I know that works with domestic violence cases. Nothing may come from this but we'll see. Thank you for your input. It helps.

B

butterfly spider

In the end you have to do what you think is right. So many problems happen when people close the curtains and ignore. Just be careful on this one ..
X

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're going through this hereiam. It seems you are drawn to resolve this not just for your own peace of mind but also from the moral standpoint and your own experiences, which is to be commended.

It's an amazingly common problem in fact. Here in the UK there are thousands of cases involving bad neighbours and noise pollution which can and do cause major incidents and psychological trauma. I had my own experience with this when I was living in London in a studio space which was right next to another flat. This guy insisted playing his TV at the highest volume every time he came home from his job which were night shifts at a printers. We got on well initially but in the end after many polite requests to keep the noise down it led to me threatening if he didn't use headphones for his television I would personally throw his TV through his own window. Thankfully after that little confrontation things did improve. I think he could see I meant it. It's just a real shame it has to get to that point before people are prepared to think beyond their own bubbles.

As to your reading it doesn't look very hopeful in the short term but eventual success is indicated.

Line 3: suggests holding to your principles and keeping the faith. Step by step - being very organised and prepared. Formulate some plans. Get some help and assistance from relevant authorities and other neighbours adjacent to you and see what you can come up with.

Line 6: There may even be some suggestion in this line that while these people do sound like neighbours from hell sometimes a gentle approach rather than a forceful one can work. Have you actually gone over there and offered to help? It's a tricky one for sure, but one avenue is to pop around there (after the dust has settled on the latest outbreak) and introduce yourself again without any hint of confrontation. Something along the lines of: "Sorry, for turning up out of blue, I really hope you don't mind but I heard a lot of commotion last night and I just wondered if there was anything I could do to help?" Sometimes, that's all it takes to get a solution. And you'll certainly know from the response as to what kind of people you're dealing with from that approach.

Then again, you may know them well enough to keep well away and opt for plan A: networked support.

Either way, I hope it's resolved soon. Good luck.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So someone recommended I write an anonymous note to them. I consulted Iching about it and the reading wasn't great.

Not a good idea.

So then I asked "what would be the outcome if I go to the police and ask them what to do about the situation" and got 38.3.6 to 34.

Hmm....
With Great Vigour, you stand upright and robust, full of resilient energy. You are inspired and animated by strong purpose, and ready to wield your strength like a hero.

For this to yield results, you will need to act with steadiness and consistency – standing in your strength, but without mistaking it for omnipotence.

Yes, but pause for one moment. Looking at the cast alone I wonder if these people's bark is worse than their bite. I'm looking at 38.6. yes they may be a total pain in the backside but what if they just make lots of noise and drama but don't actually hurt their kids ?

Nothing upsets me more than seeing children suffer abuse so I agree you have to do something to set your mind at rest. There seems to be two separate issues here ;

1. They make a lot of noise and are bad neighbours. They are inconsiderate and unpleasant to live near.

2. They may be violent to their children

Lots of parent's behaviour damages their children one way or the other but I imagine your concern is physical violence ? There is no way anyone who suspects this can ignore it. I guess the best thing would be to call child protection services anonymously ? If you are in the US I don't know what systems you have. Here in UK I'd Google the local social services, give them a call or email explaining my concerns. You can say you have nothing definite here but you are worried.

Regarding their general bad behaviour perhaps you might get some kind of meeting together with other neighbours ? Here for noise nuisance we can call the local council who will for example remove a person's music system if they are playing it loud late at night. Mowing the lawn at 10pm is a difficult one. Some would regard that as okay, some wouldn't. Generally I think it would be regarded as fairly antisocial given children will be in bed and so on.

Your yang pattern here is 52 (the pattern the change lines make) your yin pattern 58. You need to start talking and communicating about this more. Not just to the police but to other neighbours (and possibly the people themselves in a friendly way ? I guess this isn't possible given their previous behaviour ?) It's just with these change patterns I think more communications are the way forward.

38.3 makes me think you won't be believed or heard at first but will in the end. 38.6 may indicate this is slightly more benign than you may think. If this answer is just about the police then it looks hard to go to them but pays off in the end.

I think there is no harm in going to the police but if you go to child protection services the police will be informed if there is something bad going on.

Unfortunately if it's just a case of horrible people shouting and being nasty there's not a huge amount you can do but I think you should do what you can do yes.

Oops crossed posts with Topal, I think we see it more or less along the same lines

BTW when I looked at the reading I was seeing the answer as more about the neighbours than the action of going to the police. The 36.3 made me think although this guy had been an ass hole to you already in time things might improve somehow if you leave lines of communication open. I appreciate that may be an absurd suggestion but the reading does kind of suggest it. But the question was about going to the police so I guess we should interpret according to the actual question.

B

butterfly spider

I think there is an air of self preservation in this - you will probably have to live next to these people for some time. Getting other folk involved is a good idea - and perhaps setting up a local newsletter. You could go about setting up one with suggestions for builders, local classes. What about a neighbourhood watch? If something is then written about local issues - including noise then perhaps they might sit up and take notice. Sometimes they may have no idea that their noise level or behaviour is causing upset. Maybe they do, but beware of tackling this on your own. Your neighbourhood may not be suitable for this, but I am just putting out feelers. I did do this once when I lived in a small close and there was a guy renting who was delivering during the night, loading and unloading, also speaking loudly. We did set up a small watch, invited him to it, and although the problem was not totally solved, the people that were most disturbed by his behaviour were shielded by the whole group. He was not a bad person, just loud, brash and arrogant.

One lady did go to the Police - there was little they could do. They also went to the Council, again, little was done. It was best keeping up lines of communication, as he did agree to keep the language under control, which was something. In the end he moved on.

Good luck.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestions were largely based on the reading and actually I have seen councils intervene on noise nuisance a number of times. Only last year a pub had to turn it's music down due to neighbour's complaints. I have also seen a number of instances in the local paper.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).