Menu

Did the Stanford freshman rape the young woman...? 32.1.2<55

thisismybody

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think?
32.1 -
Forging lasting bonds too quickly. (Wiki)
32.2. - "regrets vanish."

It sounds like they were drunk, got sloppy with each other, went somewhere to have sex, and she passed out on him during the act. It's still immoral, but how in control and aware was he, if she was black out drunk? I'm not trying to pardon rape, if it was such. He should have stopped when he saw, if he was aware, she was passed out. If he did notice, what thought told him it was ok to continue? No rational thoughts present, I'm sure. Animal instinct. Lower human impulses. 100 of years of slave-master mentality and male privilege "I take what I want." (In no way am I diminishing this girl's pain or the violation on her autonomy and power. I just want to know Yi's thoughts and y'all's.)

We live in a misogynistic society. A society that has trampled the rights of the "other." Now, we're striking to end that oppression. We may end up misguided but we have our hearts in the right place. I guess I'm asking, how much are we also responsible for crimes against humanity, institutionalized, systemic power plays? This kid is also human. Unless he's a diabolical sociopath, there's something to salvage in him.

I once was at a wedding after party in which we went in a circle and told the worst thing we'd ever done. The cowboy to my left, a kid I grew up with who was a year older, told me he and 3 of his friends gang raped an unconscious girl at a party when they were like 15. He didn't say it like that. "We all took turns having sex with this girl who was passed out." Of course, they were all wasted. I was astonished. I didn't know how to feel. Angry, shocked, disturbed, compassionate? I don't even think she knew it happened. Strange thing is, I remember those shitkicking tailgate parties out in the boonies on so-and-so's land. The next person went and no one said a word. I still wonder who it was and if I know her. Thing is, if you ever met this guy, he was about as smart as Forrest Gump, given about 10 or so more I.Q. points. He was a good ol' boy. Seems as harmless as a fly and as easy-going as you can imagine. The church-going kind. Texas cowboy hat, pressed wranglers and button-up, and silver brass beltbuckle. He had a boyish quality--similar to a child just following along with his friends and impulses.

It's funny, as Graham Hancock's banned Ted Talk critiqued, we have no issue legalizing alcohol, cigarettes, and caffeine, despite their effects, but hallucinogens and pot are ridiculed. "You want to calm down and eat cheesy puffs?? **** no! You want to expand you're consciousness?? You're nuts! To jail you go, hippy!" Here's the link, if anyone's interested. It's worth the watch.

http://youtu.be/Y0c5nIvJH7w

Lastly, what would Jesus say and do? What would Buddha say and do? If he was your child, what would you say and do? If she was your child, what would you say and do? What judgments, what punishment?

Last edited:
V

veavea

I think it's difficult for the Yi to answer because the question is not clear - there are different definitions of rape here, the legal definition (which changes in different times and places in history), and the perception of he and she. He may have felt he acted within the bounds of decency. But there are many rapists and abusers who do not recognise that what they have done is wrong, or who feel they did not mean to cause harm. 32.1 clearly shows the issue was forced, 32.2 - impossible to interpret, since there was very clearly regret on all sides...

thisismybody

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, I did. It made me tear up. It's sick actually. I guess I was unsure of other things that led up to it. But it's ****ing sick anyway. My thoughts and feelings are evolving. There's much sentiment surrounding women putting themselves in certain positions as if it's their fault. But, he is responsible for his actions. He's not a child. He will have own up and pay his debt. Because he is certainly indebted to that woman.

thisismybody

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Veavea, I agree. We have the ability to rationalize anything if it serves our purpose or ensures our survival.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).